Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dent on glass of Retina screen

Hi all,

I have a 3 months old MacBook Pro Retina and recongnized a spot, what I though was a dead pixel.

Looking closer though, I realised that somebody (definately not me!), somehow poked the screen with a pointy item, maybe a pen!

Now I have a little dent in the glass which is so close to the actual panel (screen) that it almost seems like it's 'pressing' the pixel underneath and causing it to glow white on a black background (kinda like a dead pixel).

It could also be, however, that the plastic is refracting the light around the dent? We're talking about a 0.2mm dent here...

Did anyone else come across this? Is the screen really that vulnerable and delicate on a Retina MacBook Pro?

Cheers,

Chris

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 1:53 AM

51 replies

Oct 19, 2012 2:52 AM in response to geigerdesignstudio

If I were you, I'd just take the machine into your local Apple Store and see what they say about it. It may fall under the category of 'accidental damage' and they may charge you a whopping amount to replace the screen. If you don't want to pay for a new screen, you may just have to live with it.

There's always the chance, of course, that Apple will replace the screen under warranty. But I kind of doubt it - you can try. It must have been one **** of a pen to do that sort of damage - MBP screens (at least the non-Retina ones that I've had) have been pretty sturdy.

Clinton

Oct 19, 2012 9:35 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Dear Clinton,

for now it's not that bad... I still want to go to an Apple store to have it checked though.

I can imagine changing the screen probably costs half the price of a new MacBook Pro.

The ding is really tiny but I'm afraid that the screen is so delicate that even the keyboard hitting it, when closed, might damage the panel!

Anyhow, thanks for your input, I'll consult the closest Apple store then.

Chris

Nov 17, 2012 11:12 PM in response to geigerdesignstudio

what is the current status of your machine? I just noticed the same thing with my machine. Got it cleaner than it's ever been and noticed a fine impression in the display like a pen ***** or something extremely tiny. Where is yours located? Mine is about two inches above and to the right of dead center. Just asking in case this becomes an issue for others.

Nov 18, 2012 10:30 AM in response to westmonroejonman

Hi,

this is exactly the spot where I discovered the issue. I checked with a magnification glass and saw that three pixels are dead because of this really tiny impact from who knows what.

It's one tiny krater, about 0.2 mm wide with three damaged pixels underneath and another one close by, with one dead pixel.

Also, I noticed that the upper left corner of the screen is somewhat bent...

Since I received the machine in August, I treated it really well! That's why thought it might be a failure or issue of the production process.

However, since I use MacBook Pro full time, I didn't have the time to go to an apple dealer/genius bar yet.

If I do have the time though, I'm going to update this post to tell how it went.

Dec 5, 2012 2:29 AM in response to geigerdesignstudio

Hello,

yesterday I managed to take a trip to theApple Store in Amsterdam, to hand in my machine.

I made an appointment before, via the website.

I showed my precious 15'' MacBook Pro Retina, with the little marks on the screen, to the Genius Bar employee and he immediately offered to have the screen replaced. It would take five days and is covered by the warranty.

And because the panel is glued to the upper aluminium-part, they will replace the whole "clamshell".

As I said, the repair has an estimated repair-time of five days, however it was finished the same day!

Now I only have to travel back to the store and pick it up again.

I'm very happy with the great service, but, of course, I still have to check if the repair has been done properly :-)

Dec 5, 2012 2:18 PM in response to geigerdesignstudio

Really small world. I went to the Apple Store in Germantown, TN with my same issue. Upon telling the Genius I discovered a dead pixel, he made the comment "you must have really good eyes to see something that small." I showed him where it was. He was surprised that he could see it as well. He plugged it up to their Ethernet and ran general diagnostics. Once everything turned out ok, he was again surprised that they had the part (a whole new "clamshell" display) in stock and can replace it free of charge under warranty. I was surprised as well that this could be done in house because these machines are supposedly so difficult to repair. Upon asking about the repair, he stated that it was nothing to the repair at all. He even showed me that all you have to do is remove the bottom and only a few screws hold the top housing in place and it is apparently a really simple repair process. He printed out the workorder for me to sign. I can't imagine this happening after the warranty period, because the cost to replace the screen "clamshell" is $719.68. Needless to say, I will be purchasing AppleCare since I haven't already before the warranty period on my machine is up. I dropped off my machine around 4:00 PM and got an email that it was ready around 8:00 PM. They even called me at 10:00 AM this morning to let me know that it was ready. Upon picking it up, I checked everything out and it appears to be as good as new. No dead pixel anymore! Yay!

Jan 24, 2013 10:01 PM in response to DrTan23

It was easy. Walked in at my scheduled appointment time. Waited to be seen. Said hey check this out! I knew exactly where it was. The guy was suprised I could see a dead pixel with that resolution, but with a black background, it is easy to see. I said put your finger here, right below the affected area, and swiped between desktop 1 and mission contol slowly enough for it to come into view and go away. Then a solid black screen. Genius saw problem, said sure enough, its bad. Set everything up. I left it with him that afternoon and it was ready that next morning.

Feb 13, 2013 6:29 PM in response to geigerdesignstudio

Ive got this same problem, at least six clusters of dead pixels. Brought it to two different stores and they both refused to replace it claimng that its my fault. If this many people are having the same problem there must be a defect. my mbpr doesnt leave my desk or get unplugged from its monitor display on my wall, i dont understand how this could happen and im shocked that ive been denied a new screen twice. although at least one of the genuis bar tehcs sent in a request for this problem to be reviewed. SOOOO for our sakes if youve been denied a new screen due to this "indent" than call the store and ask them to send a request for your problem to be reviewed.

Feb 15, 2013 1:39 PM in response to geigerdesignstudio

I had this problem with 3 pixels. Didn't see any dent, and genius bar concluded pixel burnout. This was about 3 months ago, after having my rMBP for 3 months.

The genius bar were great, replacing it immediatly, and as they had a replacement screen in stock.

Only problem is, another 3 months later i have found another 'dead pixel'

If this is a regular problem for others I am thinking perhaps a defect. Will go back to genius bar again and see what they say.

Feb 16, 2013 5:20 AM in response to geigerdesignstudio

By the way, the Apple Store replaced my screen without hesitation...

However, I was wondering if anyone else's so called pentilobe screws are also somewhat smudged (on the lower casing) after the repair?

I realised later that the screws don't look so good anymore and that the screen is not 100% aligned with the rest...

Going back to the genius all the time is not a real option, since it takes almost a whole working day to go there.

I just wondered how the quality of the repair of the Apple Store is in general...

Cheers.

Feb 16, 2013 6:07 AM in response to geigerdesignstudio

I saw some people postingon Mac Rumors about a similar issue and they were referring it as the pixels "exploding" causing the dent. Maybe something about them overheats and then explodes. If this is a case, this is definitely not user negligence, but a design flaw and should be replaced under waranty. If you are having a difficult time try looking up exploding pixels and see if you can get more information.

Dent on glass of Retina screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.