Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Remote not working & synching is not what's wrong

All of a sudden my remote stopped working. I replaced battery, tried to unsynch and resynch multiple times but still no response. We have two Apple TV's so I tried the other remote and the Apple TV responds to that remote. So I don't think it's the Apple TV but an issue with the remote. Is there any other options or should I just buy a new remote?

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 1:56 PM

42 replies

Oct 19, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Barton125

I am having the same issue only when I click any button on the apple remote I get 3 blinking light which indicate a pairing issue when I try to pair the remote it will not pair than I go to use the apple remote app and the only buttons that function are the menu and play buttons I can't swipe to move up down left or right are you experiencing this as well

Oct 19, 2012 8:49 PM in response to Problem_solution

I just started to have the same issue. Was watching Netflix and it stalled out. When I tried to use the remote to back to the menu the light would blink n the Apple TV but nothing happened on the screen. I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in. No change

I can control the Apple TV with the remote app so it doesn't seem to be the Apple TV.

Oct 20, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Barton125

We are also having the same problem as of last night. First, we wanted to rent a movie and it kept saying the iTunes Store was unavailable. Then the next thing we know, we were locked up on the screen and it seems the remote won't work, even though the lights are flashing on the Apple TV. I tried turning the apple tv off using the remote this morning with zero results so I unplugged it (twice) and it restarts at the same locked screen, then eventually goes to the main menu board, then screen saver, but There is no way to navigate or control it. Maybe this is a software glitch?

I didn't know there was a remote app(thanks!) so I just downloaded it and am going to try using that. Otherwise, I don't know what to do. But at least I know it's not just our problem if others had it happen... on the same day! Must be something Apple needs to tweak. Hope they do it soon!

Oct 20, 2012 11:54 AM in response to tabre3

An update: On another thread someone suggested that your Apple TV may have become paired with another remote. We only have one so this didn't seem possible to me, but I tried the suggestion anyway and it worked!

Hold the remote very close to the apple tv. Press the menu and rewind button together and hold for 6 seconds. (My Apple TV gave a single flash after 6 secs.) Lo and behold, the remote works now!

Hope this solves your problem, too. Good luck!

Jan 5, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Barton125

I was having the same issue; all of a sudden the ATV stopped responding to the remote but the Remote app was still working fine. Press and hold Menu and Rewind for 5-6 seconds solved the problem! This combo automatically displayed the pairing symbol (a remote with two devices at an angle in front of it and then everything worked again. So what brought on the problem in the first place? I could not remember the combination for putting the ATV to sleep and had been trying various random button combos, perhaps that's what screwed things up...is there an opposite combination that I tried that will unpair the remote?

Either way, thanks for sharing the solution to this seemingly common issue!

PS. OT: Does kids of today even know what a Rewind button does or is it called something else?

Apple TV Remote not working & synching is not what's wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.