Skip navigation

Partition update failed

1555 Views 63 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 8:43 AM by Csound1 RSS
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
1tio1 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 17, 2012 11:31 AM

Hello,

So I used a BOOTCAMP partition to run Windows 7 for a while, but I didn't need it anymore, so I deleted it with Disk Utility.

This partition is about 50 gb and I needed some extra space on my disk.

Now when I tried to make my Macintosh HD larger by drag the current box downside and apply it, it says, translated, that 'the partition has failed' and that it is because of 'the partition table cannot be changed because the control of the file system has failed'.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,490 points)
    Nov 17, 2012 11:34 AM (in response to 1tio1)

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Boot Camp volumes can only be deleted with Boot Camp Assistant. Macs use a hybrid GPT/MBR partition table when you use Boot Camp that must be deleted with Boot Camp Assistant, so maybe this is the reason of that problem. Open Boot Camp Assistant, create a new Boot Camp partition and delete it

• Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,395 points)
    Nov 17, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to 1tio1)

Clone your disk, repartition your disk, restore your clone. Then run Boot Camp again and read the directions this time.

Nov 17, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to 1tio1)

Clone your disk, repartition your disk, restore your clone.

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,035 points)
    Nov 17, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to 1tio1)

As Csound1 pointed out (and before feathers get ruffled) BCA altered the partition map in ways only it can undo.  You unsettled that tweak and you are in limbo needing deep-layered fix to the partition map.

Csound1 is very experienced and I  listen to him, not try to find workarounds.

Nov 17, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to 1tio1)

Download CarbonCopyClone (http://www.bombich.com/, $40) and make a bootable clone of your OSX on an external drive.  SuperDuper! (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper!, $28)is also popular in this forum.

Ensure your external clone is proven bootable (hold the "option" key at startup to boot the clone.  Boot from the clone and use DiskUtility to partition the internal driv, then clone back to internal from clone.

Nov 17, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to 1tio1)

Bootable clones are good for when the main system dies (HDs will die eventually).  $40 for a cloning tool that makes incremental backups as well as still being bootable is a bargain if your data is *that* important IMHO.

While not recommended, you can partition your external drive to 1/2 TM and 1/2 CCC.  But you lose both backups if youe lose that one drive.

I keep 2 backup externals, one CCC and one TM.  Some people keep 2 CCCs and rotate one to a friend's house in case of fire or theft.

Nov 17, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to 1tio1)

Your external will be erased, use CCC not SuperDuper (CCC can transfer the recovery partition, SD can not), 

I suggest that you get another external rather than erasing the TM drive for this procedure.

You will not be restoring from TM you will be restoring the clone.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.