Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ingress

I'm an apple fan for life however a new development at the android camp has me going WOW. It's an app that was developed. Tell me what you think about "Ingress" created for android, and why can't we do one better.

iPhone, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:32 AM

Have you looked? That appears to be just an augmented reality game. There are plenty of those: http://techsplurge.com/2130/10-awesome-augmented-reality-games-iphone/

You have to remember there is no innovation in the Android camp. Like Linux itself, everything they do is just a cheap copy of the real thing,

28 replies

Nov 24, 2012 6:42 AM in response to KTS1

Like I said before why can't we do one better. This game was well thought out Vs. the 10 games you just pointed out to me. I truly thank you for your help Etresoft. If you remember we would take an idea and improve on it. Not our competition. They would spend there time chasing us. I miss the innovation we once owned.

Nov 24, 2012 9:57 AM in response to KTS1

I'm not a gamer and have utterly no interest in them at all. It seems very unusual for a start to to market a great game like that only on Android. They are probably just a start up funded exclusively by Google. There may be similar iOS games. You are the one that need to go look for such things because I really don't care.

Feb 23, 2013 5:31 AM in response to KTS1

this thread is awful. ingress is a fantastic effort by google to create a worldwide augmented reality game which currently hosts millions of registered smartphone users even in closed beta. what do you gain by putting down innovative google success stories? this is the next big thing in gaming and we (iOS users) are unfortunately going to miss it.

Feb 23, 2013 7:04 AM in response to locknchase

locknchase wrote:

this thread is awful. ingress is a fantastic effort by google to create a worldwide augmented reality game which currently hosts millions of registered smartphone users even in closed beta. what do you gain by putting down innovative google success stories? this is the next big thing in gaming and we (iOS users) are unfortunately going to miss it.

And why is that? Because Ingress is only available for Android. What makes it a "success story"? Why would a free, augmented reality game funded and marketed by an international, billion-dollar corporation not be successful?

The problem here is that Apple's privacy controls are too strict for Google. The players of the game are the product that Google is selling to advertisers. Because Apple restricts what personal information that Google or any 3rd party developer can access, iOS players wouldn't be profitable for Google.

Apple and Google have fundamentally different business models. Apple sells products to customers and protects those customers. Google sells personal information to business customers and protects those customers. You cannot be anything other than an iOS customer. You cannot be anything other than a Google product.

Feb 23, 2013 2:26 PM in response to locknchase

locknchase wrote:

i'm sorry, did you also create a game that millions of people want to play? did you also create a compelling storyline that is getting people to interact with their surroundings in a new and intricate way which had never been done before at this scale? is google stealing your thunder?

am i being pretentious?

No. You are simply regurgitating ad copy on behalf of Google.

how does it feel?

How does what feel? Are you trying to make me feel bad because I haven't made some kind of augmented reality game? I'm familiar with the game market enough to know I want no part of it. There are few industry segments that are riskier, more stressful, and less fun. I would rather write software that I would enjoy developing and using.

When I'm not writing software, I do pretty much the same as you - go on internet forums to praise my affiliated brand and diss the competition. The difference is that I can use Apple's brand network to market and sell my own software and earn money. There is no way for you to earn money by posting ads for Google. Or am I way off base on that assumption? 🙂

Feb 23, 2013 3:12 PM in response to etresoft

is that a legitimate branding strategy? putting down other companies' innovations because it is an unaffiliated product to the one you bought into/develop on? seems obnoxious.

according to my friend's galaxy phone ingress has about 51.5 million players signed up. i guess nobody read how uninterested you are in it. maybe you should tell more people about how it isn't a success story?

ingress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.