Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the 'Alert Me' option in iTunes 11?

I can't find the option to 'alert me' or 'follow' an artist in the iTunes store in iTunes 11. I sent an email to support but they didn't help very much:

"Greetings from iTunes Store Support. My name is Aparicio. I understand that you are unable to locate the alert me or follow option in iTunes 11. I understand how important understand the new iTunes 11 is and below I have provided a link that will assist with answering all your questions about iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/"

Does anybody know how to get alerts for an artist?

Thanks,

Zach

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 11:20 AM

44 replies

Nov 30, 2012 3:04 PM in response to slapshot36227

I was looking for this too and thought that I simply had chosen an artist that was not well known (they only have one EP in the iTunes Library). However, to make sure I loaded up Coldplay's artist page and could not find the "Alert Me" link (or button) anywhere.

I believe this was simply an oversight of the iTunes Store update because if you go into "My Account", you can still manage your existing alerts that you may have subscribed to in the past, as I did today.

I have to say though, definitely not impressed with the response you got from Apple Support.

Please bring this feature back Apple.

Dec 3, 2012 12:04 PM in response to slapshot36227

Interestingly, I used my girlfriend's MacBook today (running Mac OS X 10.6 and iTunes 10), and if I go to Coldplay's artist page, I can still see the "Quick Artist Links" section on the right-hand side, and the "Alert Me" link is still there and fully functional. However, if then use my own MacBook running Mac OS X 10.7 and iTunes 11, the whole Quick Artist Links section (and the "Alert Me" link) is nowhere to be found.

I think it's obvious that the iTunes 11 is simply accessing a reformatted version of the "new" iTunes Store (since the Store is based on web standards and uses WebKit to display it). Therefore the "new" Store is nothing more than the same data served using a different style sheet than iTunes 10.

So the backend support is still there, but the front-end has been taken out of the "new" iTunes Store.

Why were these useful features simply not incorporated into the "new" Artist subsection (top right) if they are still supported for previous versions of iTunes?

Dec 3, 2012 12:09 PM in response to slapshot36227

Received this reply from Apple Support today:

"I understand that you are not able to add artist to watch list on iTunes 11 and want some feedback on this issue. I will do my best to help you with this today.

I am sorry that you are unable to find your favorite feature on iTunes 11. I need some information before I can provide your resolution for this issue. Please inform me whether this issue occurs on multiple computers or another user account on the computer.

I apologize again for any frustration this may have caused. Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible. Looking forward for your reply."

I've replied with more detailed info, so I'll post an update here when I get one.

Dec 12, 2012 8:25 AM in response to slapshot36227

+1 umm...wow...

Interesting that "My Alerts" is now in the #3 position on the iTunes Store home screen sidebar. Even more interesting is the ability to delete alerts and still no way to actually add new alerts as was done previously from an artists bio page. And interesting still is the My Alerts page retains all old iTunes formatting.

[My user-in-distress rant follows below...]

"ZOMGZ ITUNES IS SOOOO PRETTY—oh...wait...what the h..."

Yes, Apple, the 'My Alerts' feature was pretty awesome for those (all?) of us with hundreds of artists in our collection, with just a small handful guaranteed to sell us any new releases, and we've always put our faith in you (yes, you, Apple) to tell us when to buy.

Just to be clear—our 'Buy Now' trigger fingers are ready...whenever you are.

Maybe this and other missing/changed features simply missed the iTunes 11 launch date and will slowly begin to reappear in the (very) near future. Many of these things were the reason why I've always stuck with iTunes for music purchases.

I guess it would be awesome if Apple stopped treating its users as incompetent and therefore lacking the ability to notice, care about, or otherwise miss such significant interface and usability changes hidden in a major design overhaul.

Dec 12, 2012 10:56 AM in response to slapshot36227

Okay, below is an update with the reply I got from my Apple support agent.

Now I'm not sure why or how she thought that that might help me, and I did in fact indulge her for the sake of the argument. Result: Nooooope, no Alert Me link anywhere. So don't waste too much time signing in or out of the Store, it won't bring the feature back.

I replied to her and am awaiting another response, hoping to escalate the issue with the higher ups.

P.S.: Dear Apple Support Tech: No, you information was not "needful" at all!

===================================================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Denis, please follow the instruction given below to add artists to wish list on iTunes 11:

Go to your computer and follow these step:

- If iTunes is open go to the top menubar and to Store then sign out of iTunes.

- Now quit iTunes

- Now open iTunes

- Go to the top menu bar then go to Store and Sign in with account XXXXX

- Go the iTunes Store main page and to the bottom and Free on iTunes get the free song of the week. If you are asked to agree to the new terms of service read then accept them. If you are asked to update your billing info you can do one of the following depending on if you want a credit card on the account or not.

- if you do not want a credit card on the account select NONE then Done and Done again

- if you want a credit card on the account. Put in your security code for your credit card then click done.

You will need to refresh any device you use by following these steps:

- Go to Settings

- Go to Store

- Select Sign out

- Select sign in with existing account

- You will be asked to verify the information please put in the exact information you just put on the account on the computer. Now put the artist you want your watch list.

I hope above information is needful. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Have a nice day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------

===================================================================

Dec 14, 2012 5:13 AM in response to slapshot36227

And here we have it folks, official word from Apple Support is that the feature(s) was axed from iTunes 11:

I encourage everyone to follow the link below and directly comment to Apple about the usefulness of this feature.

=======================================================

==============================================================

Dear Denis,

This is Dattananda again from iTunes Store Customer Support.

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response from us due to long week off. I know it must have been difficult for you to wait for a response from us and I deeply regret that.

Denis, I am sorry to inform you that the following features are no longer available in iTunes 11:

1. iMixes

2. Gifting Custom Playlists

3. Alert me

4. Power Search

Denis, if you have any comments to be posted on this issue, please visit the following site and update your comments on the feedback page:

Apple recognizes that no one is better qualified to provide feedback about iTunes than the people who use it.

I encourage you to use the iTunes Feedback page to submit your comments:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Your efforts to share your feedback are very much appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. Apple appreciates your business.

=======================================================

==============================================================

Where is the 'Alert Me' option in iTunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.