Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Can't connect to the account yahoo

My password is correct, my caps lock is not on, My yahoo mail works on my ipad and on my iphone and for the yahoo account I am receiving mail on my iMac, but when i try to manually refresh or send an email it keeps saying "Mail can't connect to the account "yahoo" and it asks me for my password, then the box pops up again 10 seconds later.

iMac

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2017 8:17 AM

Boom!

Here is a tip, which helped me out.
Yahoo settings don't allow mail app to run it. In order to solve it, do the following: Go to Yahoo mail account in browser - point mouse on gear sign at the upper right - choose "Account information" - go to account inf. - scroll down and check "allow apps that less secure sign in".

Hope will help.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2017 8:17 AM in response to rachinartor

Boom!

Here is a tip, which helped me out.
Yahoo settings don't allow mail app to run it. In order to solve it, do the following: Go to Yahoo mail account in browser - point mouse on gear sign at the upper right - choose "Account information" - go to account inf. - scroll down and check "allow apps that less secure sign in".

Hope will help.

Jun 29, 2017 2:56 PM in response to Jason_11

Yes, it works for a few minutes. Then a window would pop up in mail app "can't connect with less secure application". In Apple Mail deleted yahoo account and deleted keychain and deleted sending server. In Yahoo web mail turned off automatic log in and deleted third party app Mac Mail. Yahoo mail in OS X Mavericks would not connect when resetup

and after deleting all the Mac Mail setting, keychain, Yahoo web mail settings, Mac Mail will not connect to Yahoo after setup.

Two other Yahoo accounts I have no issue with. Just this one and it started just a few days ago for some reason. There have not been changes to Mac Mail for some time .

Jan 15, 2013 1:33 PM in response to mausreaper

It appears I spoke to soon half an hour later it asked for my password again so I did some research and learned that yahoo figures they can make some money off people accessing their emails offline with POP type services

mausreaper wrote:

It appears there is no solution that won't cost us $20. yahoo has formated their internet server to deny your pc/mac mail applications the right to access your emails "offline" with POP services unless of course you buy into their mail plus program or have a smart phone. So pay $20 dollars to view your email at your pc without opening it in your browser or just pull your phone out and do it for free. http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2013 5:56 PM in response to rachinartor

This appears to be the same business strategy Yahoo employed a few years ago, requiring I either abandon Yahoo altogether (requiring everyone I know also abandon my easy-to-remember e-mail address), or pony up their $19.99/year fee for POP e-mail. I paid. I did so for several years, then discovered along the way they dropped the fee for POP e-mail--and so at the next renewal date I dropped the 'upgraded' fee-based version of Yahoo Mail, and everything continued to work just fine. Until now.

It's a shame. I know it's only $20 per year, but it very much annoys me they've gone back to this business strategy - which may prompt me to simply abandon Yahoo altogether and use my free iCloud service from Apple. I liked my Yahoo web-based address and it's the very last e-mail address for me to drop--I even let Google Mail go--but I feel as if Yahoo just isn't leaving me a choice. There isn't $20/year worth of value in that e-mail address.

😟

Fred

Feb 9, 2013 6:05 PM in response to rachinartor

Thank you much rachinartor - perhaps it's not as I indicated in my post a moment ago after all. As you suggested, I:

1. Clicked on Mail
  2. Chose Preferences
  3. Selected the troublesome Yahoo account
  4. Erased the password
  5. Closed out of Mail, Saving my settings when prompted.
  6. Reopened Mail by clicking on it.
  7. Selected Preferences again.
  8. Selected the troublesome Yahoo account.
  9. Changed the PW back to my correct password.

Not sure it was necessary, but for good measure I "synced" my Yahoo account. A few minutes later it was sending and receiving e-mail.

Feb 15, 2013 5:11 PM in response to Fred Thorne

I tried Fred's steps (which I assume you did on a Mac and wasn't referring to an iOS device) but I still get the annoying errors with a couple Yahoo accounts.

I maintain several Yahoo accounts and only recently added them to Mail when I discovered there was now the ability to do so (before, I only added them to my iOS devices).

When I started getting these errors I disabled all affected Yahoo accounts on all my iOS devices, but STILL get these annoying errors.

Sometimes I can temporarily get rid of the errors if I quit Mail then relaunch it. But eventually I will get the dreaded error...

Feb 16, 2013 9:23 AM in response to rachinartor

Ken, I continued to have the same issues again myself after posting my most recent reply.

Frustrated, I simply went into Settings, E-mail, and removed Yahoo altogether from the iMac. Then in Settings I set up Yahoo again. Seems to be working normally again--hopefully for a longer period of time this time. The process deleted all my on-line Yahoo folders from the iMac, but upon reinstall they all were put back in place.

Fred

Apr 24, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Fred Thorne

I have 2 yahoo accounts. Both have started displaying pop-ups on the MBP, I just hit ok and then it logs in just fine.

One wrinkle - recently I was duped into clicking a link and my yahoo address list go spammed by a similar message (probably becuase my default browser was signed into yahoo). I wonder if even without the password they have just started trying to crack these using weak passwords, or managed to at some point before I generated strong passwords for this account and they occasionally try to log in and trigger something in Yahoo security that is getting my Mail connection bumped. No problems with imap on google whatsoever.

Mail Can't connect to the account yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.