Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card on MBP 15" Early 2011

I am wondering if anybody else is having issues with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card on MBP 15" Early 2011?

It seems that when the Intel graphics card is in use all is ok, but when the AMD switches on the fans kick on and the MBP starts to get really hot, then the video fails with various issues ranging from a split screen, pinstripe lines, black screen, etc. All I can do is power off. Then, even after cooling down, it might take overnight before I can power it back on and have a working computer. Resetting SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, etc. is of no help. I can't get it to go into safe mode at all. I can't even get it to boot off the OSx install disk until I wait 8 - 12 hours. I swapped hard drives and reseatted the RAM, but my diagnostics say all is ok. I also took it to the genius bar and their diagnostics show no issues as well, but the tech says it is a failing video card and Apple will replace it for $310.

A few questions I have are:

Is this another NVidia-type of issue that will eventually result in a lawsuit?

I thought the video card was built into the logic board, if so, does that mean the logic board will be replaced?

Is $310 a fair charge for this repair?

Should I have purchased AppleCare when I had a chance? I thought spending $2000+ for a MBP would be better than the sub $500 laptops at malwart and other places.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:38 PM

I am having the same exact issue. My discreet 6750 is the culprit. The computer works ok with the integrated HD3000. I am going to the apple store today to see about getting it fixed. I have AppleCare so it shouldn't cost me anything. These things happen from time to time.

158 replies

Jan 11, 2013 5:06 PM in response to Puterdood

Update - I contacted Apple's Support folks and got the ball rolling on shipping the MBP to be repaired. The next day they shipped me a box, I shipped it off, then two days later I have it back repaired. And, yes, they did charge $310 plus shipping and tax - $360. So far it is working. I am hoping this is really just an isolated incident.

Now, to say something good about Apple's employees - From the very beginning of this ordeal, they were all nice and courteous, from the people on the support line to the Genius Bar. I did not feel belittled in any way. Sometimes it is the service after the sale that makes a big difference. I fully understand that anything, regardless of who makes it, can have problems. But when those problems are taken care of in a reasonable amount of time and have an acceptible outcome, then that really says a lot about the company. I was happy with all of my Apple products before this incident. Now I am happy knowing that I made the right decision to buy those products after all.

Mar 18, 2013 5:43 PM in response to Puterdood

Update,

After having to get my MBP tested several time at the local Apple Store (Honolulu, Hawaii), they finally sent it off and I got a new logic board. Total time was about 1.5 weeks. They hassled me about having 3rd party ram. I literally had to drive back home and return another day (royally ******* me off) because they refused to send it with my OWC ram. Which, ironically enough is the same exact Samsung modules. The genius bar folks who handle these "complex" troubleshooting jobs are pretty dim. I have yet to meet a "genius" who was able to talk to me about things in appropriate computer vernacular. Anyway, it was fixed so it worked out in the end. I am just starting to really hate going to Apple Stores. I already know what is wrong, but they rarely believe me. Sigh. Still the best laptops in the world.

Aug 31, 2013 9:23 PM in response to Puterdood

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 17" with an AMD6750 GPU that has failed.

I just dropped it at the Apple Store to be sent to the depot for repair - $310.

I think it is time for Apple to accept that these AMD GPUs are as poor and unreliable as the NVIDIA GPUs in the 2008 line of laptops. Apple needs to own up to these subpar GPUs and start covering the repairs for those affected and reimburse those that have already paid for a repair - just like they did with the 2008 models.

For a GPU to go bad in under two years is Windows PC-type reliability - not the comparison Apple wants.

Oct 10, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Puterdood

Same what happen to my 2yrs old MBP 2011 model A1826 15" 2.2 corei7 with AMD Radeon HD 6750m GPU 1GB of DDR5.. really disapointed for this investment, i was expecting that Apple product will commit to what i invested. i suffer from Freezing all the time, and lead to damage and now unable to boot, with horizontal stripes in restart, and hang to a grey display. safe mode is turning into blue vertical lines.

Apple should recall all units with thesame GPU's.

Same as they did with Nvidia 2010, they recall all units.

Hey APPLE! as you will know many Guys here are suffering from your product, and investing for this product is not a joke!

Appreciated your kind concern...

Issues with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card on MBP 15" Early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.