Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Received a new cMBP and Airport Express...

Hello-

I received my configured cMBP today and I had an old Airport Extreme but I also purchased w new Airport Express.

I have a few questions. I still have not opened the box because I want to make sure they configured the MBP like I configured it and paid for. I am hoping they will be able to check this at the Apple Store. Can I bring my old MBP and my new MBP to an Apple Store and have them help me set up the new MBP? Also, I have the old (about 5 years old) Airport Extreme hooked up working with my old MBP but I would like to get the Airport Express hooked up. is that failry straight forward? I think Mountain Lion has a utility that walks one through the set up. Anybody know if this is true.

I looked up my serial number on google and the machine that came up is not what I ordered and paid for. For example it says that the machine with the serial number I typed has a 750 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive and 15.4" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1440x900 native resolution). However, I paid for the 512GB Solid State Drive and the anti glare Hi Res screen.

anybody know of a site that has the acurate confiuration when the serial number is put in?

I know this is really basic, but I am not sure what to do. should I take it to the apple store first so they can help me tansfer the data on my old MBP to my new MBP and give me some pointers on hooking up the airport Express?

If I add some RAM to the MBP I just received from Apple will that void the Applecare? any suggestions on a good place that helps a novice add some RAM and has the tools like a 00 Phillips driver? Somebody in another forum told me awhile back that if I get a new MBP I will need a T Driver to remove the screws and install the new RAM. I had never heard of a T Driver.

It says this is a mid 2012 MBP. Do they not make late 2012 or early 2013 models?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:56 PM

34 replies

Jan 4, 2013 9:05 PM in response to NObodE

You've a mid-2012 model - on late 2012 model was the 13" Retina. I wouldn't rely to much on a Google search for your serial number - your machine is a custom-build.

The Apple Store may charge you a fee to transfer data ($50-60). It's actually fairly simple to DIY - simply have the two computers on the same network when booting your new machine for the first time and use the Setup Assistant to migrate everything from your old computer to your new machine.

The Airport Utility (Applications>Utility folder) can be used to setup and administer your new Airport Extreme - you will be walked through the setup and it is very easy.

To replace RAM all you need is a Phillips #00 screwdriver - available at any hardware store. I would get one with a magnetized head as those small screws can be a bugger if you drop one! And, no, adding RAM does not void your warranty - in fact you can install up to 16GB of RAM in your machine (even though the Apple specs say 8GB, your machine can and will use up to 16GB).

No need to visit the Apple Store - you can do it all yourself, easily and safely.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 4, 2013 9:18 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

it is YOU!!!!!!!.. I got what you told me to get but then I read another post that same night and you were telling the guy to get a rMBP

Just the cMPB. I was going to get thr 16 GB of RAM and install it myself but I have come across some many different issues with that even with the executive techs at applecare that have helped me even before i got the machine.

There are problems with my old MBP that I do not want to transfer over. I want to leave out all the Canon printer wirel;ess stuff.

there was an option to have it deliverd at the apple store and they will set it up for you and transfer the data even if you have it shipped to your house. it says that on the local apple store's website

It has 8 GB RAM and I would like 16. I looked at ifixit, I think you told me about them, I am a total novice and I need instructions. I am not even sure, it sounds like they have so many machines out right now, which is why one executive tech agent told me they do NOT support the 16 GB of RAM. I spent like 4 hours one night going from sales agent to sales agent's supervisor, to applecare, to executive tech agent, and it was really interesting how most of them did not want to give me any information about why they make a 16 GB RAM machine but do not offer the 16 Gb configuration.

I am not even sure if they installed the SSD, the serial check comes up with a lot of basic stuff that I upgraded.

do you know of a good website that helps you and has instructions on installing RAM, especially since there are so many machines out now. Crucial told me that I do not need a phillips 00 screwdriver, I need a T Driver. I said what? She told me that the machines they are shipping out, many opf the customers were complaining that the phillips driver did not work, that you need a T Driver

Jan 4, 2013 9:22 PM in response to NObodE

If you don't feel comfortable transferring data, go ahead and ask at the Apple store. When I picked up my iMac there, they offered to show me how to use it, set it up and would have transferred any data if I had had them with me. Be aware that wireless data transfer will be slow compared to wired (however, I do not know if you can do it with Thunderbolt/FW if, in fact, your old one has Firewire.) When I got my 2012 MBP, I decided to do a clean install, so I installed all my applications from scratch and simply copied over a few other files.

As for your serial number, I would not put any stock in Google. Open your box and check to see if you got what you ordered. You have 14 days to return the machine for any reason at all, so check it out to make sure all is well.

Installing RAM: go to OWC and take a look at their videos:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

Jan 4, 2013 9:25 PM in response to NObodE

You only need a Torx T6 to replace the SSD/HD - just a Phillips #00 to replace RAM. Here are video instructions on replacing RAM.

If the Apple Store will do the transfer free, and if you fear that your hard drive may be failing on your old machine, by all means take it to the Apple Store. That's one area where they know what they are doing!

Take a look at the Crucial 16GB RAM kit here. Not to pricey and darned good RAM!

Clinton

Jan 4, 2013 9:30 PM in response to babowa

I better look because I have had it for 3-4 days already. I am hoping the Apple Store will help me but the last time I had them transfer they transfered problems I had with the previous MbP to my new MPB anbd some of the same issues were all of the sudden in my new MBP. Long story but I dealt with it because they had no idea how to deal with the issues.

I want to add 8 GB of RAM. I have a couple HD video apps that will work much better, but I am so bad at technology stuff and it sems like the websites I have talked to are not super clear on how to do it with the various MBP models that are out now. I have seen a lot of videos, One lady at Crucial said to get the T driver because the Phillips will not work on the machines they are sending out now.

When I first turn the machine on, isn't there a process I need to go through to get the new mbp set up?

Do you know who I contact if I need to return it? I am not even sure how to tell what is installed in the machine. I would like to do what you did. I probably did not even need to buy half of the apps I did because once you buy them don't you get updates for free even if you get a new machine?/

Jan 4, 2013 9:35 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Cinton-

I had been dealing with ifixit, and crucial. it was an agent at Crucial that told me I need a T driver not a Phillips. I thought she was crazy because I had never come across that before. Do you know if I have 8 GB of RAM now, there ae 2 slots, so I take out the 2, 4 GB sticks, put them aside, get 2, 8 GB sticks, and install them. do I just need to make sure they have all the same number s that the sticks I take out have or how do I tell what kind of RAM I need other then 2 sticks of 8 GB each.

what about all these other numbers like what is installed now. "1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (PC3-12800) installed in pairs (two 4 GB modules)"

Jan 4, 2013 9:43 PM in response to NObodE

Go to the OWC site - it's easy to figure out the RAM there - they do it for you.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

It even helps you find your model identifier.

As for applications: no, you do not necessarily get free updates. It depends entirely on the developer. If you buy version 4, they'll give you a free update usually to 4.1, 4.2, etc., but then they decide to come out with a version 5 and want money from you. Depending on the age of your old machine and the OS version on your old machine, you should check to see that all your applications will still be compatible.

Jan 4, 2013 9:50 PM in response to NObodE

When I first turn the machine on, isn't there a process I need to go through to get the new mbp set up?

Yes, if you're going to use Setup Assistant. You can, though, at any time, use Migration Assistant instead.

Do you know who I contact if I need to return it? I am not even sure how to tell what is installed in the machine.

Just take it to your local Apple Store if you need to return it. You can always tell what's installed in the machine by holding down the option key and selecting System Information from the Apple menu. This will show you all of the hardware, etc., information about your machine.

Clinton

Jan 4, 2013 9:52 PM in response to babowa

Yea, good idea.

the last time I had the Apple Store do it, it was because they were giving me a free MBP. they hooked my new MbP up to a cabale and it updated the software really fast with all the updates since the machine had been assembled in China.

Have you installed RAM before? The RAM tha is in the machine will be taken out and I will have to replace that ram with 2 sticks of 8 GB each, right? It shows that this machine can take a total of 16 GB, and I am not sure whay they did not offer that as an upgrade.

Jan 4, 2013 9:55 PM in response to NObodE

I've sinatlled RAM on every Mac I've owned since 1986 (the Macintosh Plus). It's very simple - the videos will guide you through the process.

Yes, you'll remove to 2 4GB sticks and simply replace them with 2 8GB sticks - the only thing you have to unscrew and rescrew is the back panel, using the Phillips #00 screwdriver. No other tools, save your hands and fingers' are needed.

Clinton

Jan 4, 2013 9:57 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

OK, but still not clear, if I do decide to turn it on before I get to the Apple Store, it will not hurt anything if I turn it on and do not go through the migrtion set up, right? I know these questions sound realy stupid but it has been a long time since I turned on a new machine. I was disappointed to see they are still being made in /china. I thought they were going to start making the MBPs in America.

Do you know if Airport Express is pretty easy to set up?

I even purchased One to One but they sent me nothing telling me about how I use One to One, registering for it or whatever. I guess I am not even sure of they gave me One to One, but I paid for it. Nothing on Applecare either. They used to send those applecare boxes with the DVD inside.They are not doing that anymore?

Jan 4, 2013 9:59 PM in response to NObodE

I've installed RAM before, but not in a 2012 MBP. I've installed RAM on several iMacs and Macbooks. I will look at the OWC install video before I start. I will be doing the RAM and the SSD install at the same time.

Apple charges way more money for RAM than anybody else - you will always want to get a Mac with just the basic RAM and then add it yourself later. Again, OWC is a great vendor (Crucial being the other one).

Jan 4, 2013 10:03 PM in response to NObodE

Nope, won't hurt a thing to go ahead and boot up that monster - you can, or Apple can, always use Migration Assistant to transfer files and setting.

Airport Extreme setup is very, very simple. I just bought a new one myself in September. Much simpler setup than with the old Cisco/Lynksys router that I had.

I'm not sure about the one-on-one service, but definitely take advantage of it! I know that they will transfer your data for no charge if you purchased one-on-one.

Nope, no AppleCare boxes with a DVD any longer - it's just part of the sale now. One you get unboxed, be sure to register your computer and then go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do to check your warranty and service coverage.

Get that box open! I couldn't wait to get mine out of the box!

Clinton

Received a new cMBP and Airport Express...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.