Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Can't "Access iTunes Store" after UPDATE. The SOLUTION.

It has been a while since I updated my ATV2. The past update was the one which added the new "movies/TV Shows/Music/etc" icons to the bottom half of the welcome screen.

Tonight I purchased a movie from the iTunes store, then decided to update the ATV while i was cooking dinner... I came back to an updated ATV (updated to v5.2) and when I tried to accesss Movies, the ATV would start "Accessing iTunes Store" then do a soft reset... I thought this was odd, so then I tried to access the TV Shows and the exact same issue occured... I then tried to access Netflix and YouTube too see if there was a network issue, however there was no problem with those applications.... Finally I tried to access PodCasts, boom, soft reset yet again. *Interesting enough when I "mouse over" the Movies and TV Show icons, the ATV is able to pull the "Top Movies" from the store and display them.* - I found this rather strange, if it can access this... why not access the store???

I came to the conclusion that there was an issue with my ATV connecting to the iTunes store... for some reason everytime it attempts to access the store, it seems to bug out and cause a soft reset (the screen goes black, the light flashes, then I'm returned to the home screen).

IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS ISSUE OR A SIMILIAR ONE THERE IS A SIMPLE SOLUTION THAT I JUST FIGURED OUT. GO TO SETTINGS>ITUNES STORE>ACCOUNTS>SIGN OUT.... THEN SIGN OUT OF YOUR ITUNES ACCOUNT, THEN SIGN BACK IT... BOOOOOOM PROBLEM FIXED!!! WISH I TRIED THIS EARLIER..... ONLY TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO FIGURE OUT.

Apple TV (2nd generation), Windows 7

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 7:31 PM

44 replies

Feb 2, 2013 9:45 AM in response to Saucin

I'm having the exact same problem since updating to 5.2. Based on the advice here, I tried signing out of iTunes, but on sign-in, I am getting the message "the iTunes server is not responding- please try again later."

Like the OP, all my non-iTunes services are working fine- i.e. Netflix and Youtube, so it isn't a network issue.

Stumped.

Dave

Feb 2, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

As a level 3 user, you should be aware that me too posts are rarely useful. if you have a problem you should start your own post.

Hi Winston- sorry you feel that way. I find quite the opposite- it speaks to the extent or frequency of a given issue. I wouldn't want to create a new thread when a post might better stay within existing threads.

And once again- thanks for your login advice. I'm sure if I keep trying eventually it will log back into iTunes.

Kind regards,

Dave

Feb 2, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I think you both (Winston and Dave) raise valid points. It does show the extent that people are experiencing the "bug"; nonetheless, it does seem as though you're suffering from a completely different problem - which most likely would need it's own post to be addressed properly.

You completed the steps I mentioned in my original post to fix the iTunes Store "bug". Now you're having a separate issue where you can't log into your account. I'd suggest waiting a few hours and try signing in again. I'd assume that the servers may just be down temporarily. If after 24 hours you still can't log in, you should create a separate post addressing your issue of not being able to log into your account - since it's technically a different issue - and therefore may get a better/quicker response. Best of luck to you! Hope everything gets fixed soon.

Apple TV Can't "Access iTunes Store" after UPDATE. The SOLUTION.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.