Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open .pdf file in Word & "Convert File" Box appears...Weird.

Using my MacBook Pro, I click on a PDF file to open in Microsoft Word & an angry box appears that says "Convert File."

In the box it says: Convert file from: then it lists various file types i.e., Text only, MS-DOS Text, Rich Text Format, HTML Document, Single File Web Page, Unicode Text and many more.

It is trying to open a PDF file in Microsoft Word.

I can't figure out how to change so it opens!!!

I made the fancy document myself in Microsoft Word and saved it in PDF format on the same computer.

I am a new Mac user....so if you tell me to go somewhere (well, not anywhere..on the computer!); please be specific and help me get there!

I've tried the right click trick, open with trick...no luck. That's not even an option!

This kindergarten teacher THANKs YOU oh so much!

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:11 PM

48 replies

Feb 19, 2013 5:59 PM in response to solutionfocused

I found this...But I don't understand it. I downloaded the latest versions...still can't view the PDF.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to edit it! I just want to VIEW IT~!

Overview

Adobe Reader plug-in and Acrobat plug-ins before version 10.1.3 are incompatible with the Safari 5.1 browser that shipped with Mac OS X 10.7 and for 10.6. The Adobe Reader and Acrobat stand-alone applications are unaffected and Safari 5.1 renders PDF documents natively. However, the Adobe Reader and Acrobat browser plug-ins before 10.1.3 don't function as expected in LiveCycle and Acrobat workflows that require either plug-in to render PDF documents in Safari 5.1.

To the top

Affected customers

Any Adobe Reader, Acrobat, and LiveCycle customers who require the Adobe Reader or Acrobat plug-in to render PDF documents in a browser when only Safari 5.1 is present.

To the top

Workarounds

Options include the following:

• Continue to use Safari 5.0.x and Mac OS X 10.6.
  • Upgrade to Adobe Reader or Acrobat version 10.1.3 or later.
  • Save the PDF file from Safari to the computer, and then open it directly in Adobe Reader or Acrobat.
  • Use desktop virtualization technology such as Citrix to allow applications to run in a controlled environment where the Safari browser isn't upgraded to version 5.1.

To the top

Can customers use a different web browser like Chrome or Opera?

Acrobat Reader plug-in and Acrobat plug-in are dependent on the WebKit WebPlugin API and capabilities that are unique to Safari. Other browsers like Chrome or Opera do not have the required functionality to run the plug-ins properly. As of the 10.1.3 release of Reader, Firefox running in 32-bit mode is now supported on Mac OS.

What is the impact on LiveCycle Workspace?

Since LiveCycle Workspace operates in the browser, PDF Forms in Workspace don't function in Safari 5.1 using Adobe Reader or Acrobat versions earlier than 10.1.3.

What is the impact on Adobe Solutions Accelerators?

Interactive Statements

In the primary use case for Interactive Statements, PDFs are delivered via email and can be opened with the stand-alone Adobe Reader or Acrobat. The secondary use case, where the statement is generated and displayed on a website, requires Adobe Reader or Acrobat to operate in-browser and doesn't function using Adobe Reader or Acrobat versions before 10.1.3.

Correspondence Management

Internal employees (the Case worker/Claims adjustor and the business user personas) require Adobe Reader and Acrobat to function in-browser and don't function with Safari 5.1 using Adobe Reader or Acrobat versions before 10.1.3. External user use cases do not require that the Adobe Reader or Acrobat operate in-browser, so they aren't affected by the Safari 5.1 browser.

Managed Review & Approval (MRA) and Integrated Content Review (ICR)

Since the MRA and ICR solutions require Workspace, these customer use cases can't function in the Safari 5.1 browser using Adobe Reader or Acrobat versions before 10.1.3.

Feb 19, 2013 6:03 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

I don't want to edit the file. I just want to open and view it. 🙂 So I can put it in an email and send it onto someone else.

Well, now I want to throw it all out the window, but it's -4 degrees here and I'm not opening any windows.

In this case, I don't have a choice to save the file as something else. It's a document I scanned from my computer and it defaults to pdf.

Can you explain PREVIEW to me? I don't see that option. If I write click on the document, there are not any choices that appear.

Thank you for your response, how kind of you!!!

Mac Word processors don't open pdf files, and you really can't edit them anyway. Use Preview or Adobe Reader to view them. If you need to edit the text again, convert it to .doc or .rtf.

Feb 19, 2013 6:31 PM in response to solutionfocused

HELP! Again! I found this....BUT..THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR ME?! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

MY ANSWERS, PLEAS FOR HELP ARE IN BOLD LIKES THIS! 🙂

PDF files should automatically default to open with the application "Preview".

(MINE WON'T OPEN...THAT'S THE PROBLEM!)

If you have an OEM iMac (?WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I HAVE A MACBOOK PRO), this program should install with your "Installation DVD".

(TRIED THE FOLLOWING...DID NOT WORK. STILL CAN NOT OPEN THE PDF...I CREATED AS A SCAN...WITH IMAGE CAPTURE ...SAVED AS A PDF....ON MY iMacBOOK PRO)

(assuming you have Preview installed, but not set as your default program to view .pdf files): (HOW WOULD I KNOW?!)

• Hold down the <Control> button and click (or right click if you have this enabled) over the .pdf document you wish to open.
  • Their should be an option that allows you to "Open with" (something like that) or choose the default application (should be pretty intuitive...)
  • Open the .pdf document with your program of choice (in my case Preview). (UGH! I CAN'T! THERE'S NO OPTION?! AM I MISSING IT?)

One of the cool things about Preview, is if you have a single-sided document scanner (flatbed or with an automatic document feeder (ADF)), it is very simple to combine them into one document without having to purchase other .pdf applications.

You may find the following link helpful: (I REALLY DIDN'T..BUT SOMEONE MIGHT...ONE DAY!)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2506

Feb 19, 2013 6:38 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Mr. Pecker...

I clicked on your site...IF ONLY IT WERE THAT EASY. But, alas...your answer did not help.

You're welcome to read my question from the beginning and offer your advice that might be helpful.

I wouldn't be begging here asking kind-hearted strangers to help me after I've been trouble shooting this for nearly a week and almost 25 logged in computer hours trying to figure this problem out.

Thank you for trying anyway!

Feb 19, 2013 7:39 PM in response to solutionfocused

I don't care much for Preview, but you should be able to use it to open the PDF file that you created.

Make sure that the file has a .pdf extension on it - sounds as if it may have a .doc extension. Highlight the file under Finder and Get Info (Command and I) on the file. It should look something like this:

User uploaded file

You can choose to open the file with Preview (or Adobe Reader if you have it).

Clinton

Feb 19, 2013 7:43 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Thank you again....

When I right click on the PDF file....there is nothing. Nada. Nope. (Hence my frustration!)

When I look at the top, most all the choices are 'greyed' out.

I have apple? Safari Word>Services>Services Preferences

(File, edit, view, insert....are all grey)

At the bottom I have

OPEN <original> COPY READ-ONLY

ENABLE <All Files> And about 15 more

CANCEL OPEN

Can you try 1 more time?

Feb 19, 2013 7:54 PM in response to solutionfocused

If you're in the Finder, there is a File menu and under that File menu there is an option to Get Info (Command and I) on a file. You need to select the PDF file, choose Get Info from the Finder File menu, and then change the application to open the document. You'll see this window open when you use the Get Info selection:

User uploaded file

Where there is teh drop-down box that says "Open With..." you'll want to change that to Preview. Then all of your PDF docs will open in Preview. Make certain that the file has a .pdf extension. It sounds as if it may have a .doc extension if it's opening Word.

Clinton

open .pdf file in Word & "Convert File" Box appears...Weird.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.