Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 not waking up! Have to press home/sleep button numerous times

Hey Apple peoples

Does anyone have an issue w their iPhone 5 where pressing the home/sleep buttons does NOT wake up the phone in one press? I have only had mine since late Oct 2012 and several times a day it just decides to have an extended snooze. I have to hit the home button or sleep button numerous times before it kicks into gear. Mucho annoying!! Watch this short vid to see what I mean: http://www.flickr.com/photos/go_bombers/8489949001/in/photostream

Phone has been updated w latest software, backed up, restored...nothing will fix it so hoping someone out there has an answer!

Danke schon!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:19 PM

77 replies

Feb 22, 2013 3:54 AM in response to wheetie

I am also having the same problem. It's definitely not the home button hardware issue, since it registers perfectly everytime when iPhone is awake. My problem happens once or twice a day and sometimes once every two days. I tried restoring the software as recommended when I called Apple but no success. I hope they release a fix for this soon...I suspect this is a software issue. When iPhone would not wake up, wait for 5 to 10 seconds before pressing home button again as continually pressing home button only lengthens the sleep duration time even longer. Strange...

Feb 22, 2013 10:58 AM in response to agons

I did a complete reset this morning around 10am and it is currently 11pm where I am and all working. I backed up the phone, completely restored latest firmware (6.1.2) and synced content. I did not restore any settings which means you don't have any email accounts configured, event photos in camera roll copied across, any networks, ringtones saved, messages saved etc. despite losing all of my data (which I can recover from the backup if I really need it) it seems to have solved the problem.

Not particularly happy I have to start from scratch with photos and messages etc but think I would prefer the phone turning on when I want/need it to.

Hope this helps you guys, will update you if it starts playing up again! If it does, I will not be a happy bunny :(

Mar 19, 2013 6:41 AM in response to wheetie

I have been having the same problem. I have just held down the wake/sleep buttong and the home button to restart the phone. I've noticed that when I do that it takes longer than usual for the phone to reset 15-20 seconds. It usually happens when I charge the phone over night. I wake up and try to wake my phone up and there is just no response, so I have to to the reset.

iPhone 5 not waking up! Have to press home/sleep button numerous times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.