Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MerpAD Office365

New to Apple Support Communities:There is an empty file in my trash at startup called MerpAD Office365. To my knowledge, I do not use Office 365. What is it, where can I find it, and can I trash it? I have had numerous problems with Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and do not want anything more of this product than I absolutely need on my computer.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 10:03 AM

34 replies

Apr 12, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your response Eric! I read through several discussions before submitting my first-ever question to the Apple Support Communities Board, but I learned nothing new from them that was helpful to me with regards to MerpAD Office365. I was hoping someone had come up with an answer for this odd behavior, which is not only annoying but also unsettling for someone who has had the types and number of problems like I have had (especially since upgrading to Mountain Lion) with my MacBook Pro.

It seems that there are many of us looking forward to a solution to this issue.

I’m including a little background information just in case it raises a flag with someone reading this discussion. You never know…

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15 inch that I purchased in January 2011, which is also when I installed Microsoft Office: Mac 2011. In August 2012, I installed Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, due to numerous problems since the upgrade, I am running a Mac computer that is very basic: a virtual skeleton of its former self.

My MacBook Pro is not associated with any other network or computer (i.e., stand alone computer), I do not use icloud, I do not share anything with anyone, and out of the all of the applications included in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 I only use WORD and EXCEL. I first noticed Office 365 Service on my computer in early February 2013 after 14.3.0 update and then numerous crashes while using WORD and EXCEL.

Apr 12, 2013 11:22 AM in response to DIANALM

No consolation, but you are not alone. Your question was posted on the MS Office for Mac forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macstart/i-keep-getti ng-an-empty-file-in-trash-at-startup/e5760e59-9e5f-4a0a-8766-dac6a73af148?msgId= 9e0d2377-6e54-4d3b-8516-901c6637ad0e

The only known fix is to reinstall Office 2011, and not install the 14.3.2 update.

Jul 19, 2013 12:43 PM in response to DIANALM

DIANALM wrote:

My MacBook Pro is not associated with any other network or computer (i.e., stand alone computer), I do not use icloud, I do not share anything with anyone, and out of the all of the applications included in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 I only use WORD and EXCEL. I first noticed Office 365 Service on my computer in early February 2013 after 14.3.0 update and then numerous crashes while using WORD and EXCEL.

That's a Microsoft service and it is for Office 365 (you can tell) but you said that you don't use O365?

Kill the Office 365 process and see what (if anything) changes as a result.

Jul 19, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Mark Vonderembse

Yes, thats what a poster earlier in this thread said too, what I want to know is whether the Office 365 Service is running, not whether you use it.

Look in Activity Monitor, and read this earlier post if you want to know why.

DIANALM wrote:

MerpAD Office365

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.