Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen of death?

my ipad has a black screen. i tried rebooting it, connecting it to itunes with computer, nothing works, the screen is still black. i can hear it connect when i plug it in tomcharge or when i connect it to computer and it shows up in itunes but the screen stays black on ipad and i cannot access anything. what can i do. what does this mean?

iPad 2

Posted on May 5, 2013 11:32 AM

41 replies

May 5, 2013 1:11 PM in response to mezorba

the ipad fell off my car seat a few months ago when i made a turn but it didnt turn off or shut down it seemed fine. about four weeks ago i started to get this black screen randomly & i would press the home button & start button at the same time & the ipad would turn back on. this has happened about four times in the past four weeks but this last time nothing worked to clear the back screen

May 5, 2013 1:27 PM in response to marvalisbaby

Try this. It seems you have nothing to lose. Search this discussion group for "Red screen." Read the testimonials.

Turn your iPad face down on your lap and spank the back a few times with the palm of your hand, checking to see if the screen returns to normal. If not, spank with increasing firmness, again, checking from time to time.

This has worked for both the "red screen" problem and the "black screen." It seems something came loose when it fell. If it works, handle it gently, as the loose part might once again shift.

Good luck. Let us know.

May 5, 2013 2:41 PM in response to marvalisbaby

Try a "reset" first. Search here for "Reset iPad."

As I recollect, to reset, hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons buttons simultaneously for 10-15 seconds until you see the "apple" appear. Ignore the slider. Then release the buttons.You will not lose anything. But search "Reset" first.

If that doesn't work, I'd say go ahead and try it. You seem to have nothing to lose.

black screen of death?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.