Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro freezes constantly -HELP

Please please help. It's driving me nuts. My macbook pro early 2011 started freezing, with lines on the screen and I am have to force shut down evertime.
It first started happening about a month ago, like 3 times in a row in one hour, then I followed a series of procedures that I found here in the forums and stoped, then since yesterday started happening again, and the computer doesn't last more than 10 min without freezing. without doing anything in particular, like just using chrome.

I have started up in safe-mode, I have used disk utility etc.

Note: I installed 2 new memories of 8GB each..could it be this?

Can anyone suggest anything before I have to take it to an apple store? I live in Rio de Janeiro and they take 15 days just to inspect the computer! I can't be this long without computer!!

Many thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, Memory 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on May 19, 2013 3:49 PM

43 replies

May 19, 2013 3:55 PM in response to subtilography

Note: I installed 2 new memories of 8GB each..could it be this?

Yes. Especially if the issue occurred right after you installed 16gb. Is this what happened?

I live in Rio de Janeiro and they take 15 days just to inspect the computer! I can't be this long without computer!!

If you have Apple Care, you can request a replacement while your compouter is being repaired.

User uploaded file

May 19, 2013 4:04 PM in response to CMCSK

Thanks for quick response CMCSK

No, It didn't happen right after. I installed it on the april 8th, and the first time my mac froze was on the 23rd of April.

I am photographer, I constatly feeling up the memory and deleting stuff. but since this happened I have kept always at least 100GB of memory available...

Unfortunately I don't have apple care 😟

May 19, 2013 7:03 PM in response to subtilography

subtilography wrote:

I installed it on the april 8th, and the first time my mac froze was on the 23rd of April.

It's not unusual for problems in RAM to show up intermittently after installing it.

Lines on the screen is usual for such a recent issue machine that's broken in already, unless it was abused or overheated, or subjected to a lot of dust clogging the cooling fins behind the fans.

Run a extended Hardware Test overnight, if the RAM is the problem it might find it.

Apple: Hardware Test

Need to have a Internet connection, hold the D key down for quite some time while booting the machine to load it from Apple's servers.

You also can use MemTest or Rember with no other programs running to ensure most of the RAM is being accessed.

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/Rember/

Replace the factory RAM, and if you have to return the new RAM, make sure to buy from a qaulity vendor like Crucial.com or OtherWorld computing which TEST the RAM to make sure it works as intended the first time.

PC RAM or discount RAM can be very problemic and just cost more in shipping and labor, especially on a Mac laptop.

May 19, 2013 7:02 PM in response to subtilography

That's not memory. It is storage. And it is strange.

Certainly, the first thing you should do is backup. Double-check it and make sure your critical files are on the backup.

Then you can put the old RAM back and see if it freezes again.

If so, install or boot from a different hard drive and see if it continues to freeze. Is that the original hard drive? The notebook hard drives often die after about 3 years. What you describe could easily be caused by a failing hard drive. It could be caused by other things too, but none of those are as easy to test and fix as a new hard drive.

May 20, 2013 1:22 AM in response to subtilography

subtilography wrote:

dont you think its weird that the memory shows only 'other'?!

One possible explanation (which I very recently learned about from another of our ASC gurus, Pondini):

If Spotlight is disabled or your "Macintosh HD" is in the Spotlight system preferences > Privacy list so it is not indexed, then the display of hard drive space (not memory) will list most if not all of it in the "other" category.

Macbook pro freezes constantly -HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.