Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s sound problem!?

Okay so this started agesss ago when i downloaded ios5? I figured that when i updated the software it would be fixed! But no unfortunately. Anyway the problem is that the sound on my iPhone 4s randomly stops working! Alarms still sound but thats it. I can try and adjust the volume but when i press the volume button the speaker picture shoes but none of the white dots to show that the sound is turning up. Same with when i try and slide the volume up, theres no slidey thing there. 😟 Is there anyone that knows how i can fix this!? The sounds works sometimes, but most of the time it doesnt. Otherwise the only time i can hear siund is through headphones. and after i take the headphones out the sond goes back to not working.....

This is driving me crazy! Any help would be greatttt. 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, iPhone sound.

Posted on May 21, 2013 3:39 AM

38 replies

May 23, 2013 7:42 AM in response to Julesybubs

Hello Julesybubs,

I was researching the issue you are describing and found a resource that might help. It is an article called iPhone: Can't hear through the receiver or speakers found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630.

I know your article is intermitent but I recommend the article becuase it does a great job of helping to isolate sound issues to either software or hardware.

Resolution

1. Verify that there is nothing plugged in to the headset jack, including headsets, headphones, or adapters.
  2. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is not switched to silent.
  3. While on the Home screen, adjust the volume buttons. If you see the icon below, indicating that headphones are attached, there may be debris or an object lodged in the headset jack:
    User uploaded file
  4. Check the headset jack. If there is an object lodged in the headset jack that is not easily removed, have the iPhone serviced to remove object.
  5. For Original iPhone: If there is light debris, such as lint, in the headset jack, try connecting a pair of headphones to the headset jack and then remove the headphones. Repeat this several times to remove the debris.
  6. If you have installed a protective film on the display, either ensure that the receiver is not covered or remove the film completely.
  7. Check the receiver mesh (which is on the top front of the device, above the display). If it appears blocked, use a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush to carefully and gently brush away any debris.
  8. If you have paired with a Bluetooth headset that is nearby, either use the headset or turn Bluetooth off (chooseSettings > General > Bluetooth).
  9. Restart the iPhone.
  10. If restarting the iPhone doesn't resolve the issue, try restoring the device.
  11. If the issue persists, go to the Service Answer Center - iPhone for information on service.

For other troubleshooting tips, see:

Cheers,

Sterling

Jun 18, 2013 2:30 PM in response to Julesybubs

I had this exact issue and have just fixed it today after much frustration. My problem was that if plugged into earphones or docked, my music etc would play fine but as soon as unplugged the sound would go. It may come back on intermittently but only for a few seconds. My ringer and alarms etc all work fine.

Having looked at others' solutions, I had tried cleaning the dock connector with a toothbrush and blowing into it. This didn't work.

However someone mentioned using a pin to clean the dock connector and this worked today. There didnt seem to be anything there but the sharp edges of the pin removed a visible film from the thin connector. There were also thin ridges at the top that i carefully ran the pin down. The problem is that fluff and dirt collect there and form a very thin film that make the iPhone believe that it is docked.

Try this. I hope you get it fixed and apple improve this in future models.

One tip... Make sure you are in good light so that you can see clearly into the connector.

Aug 25, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Julesybubs

Certainly, it's almost as if the phone thinks its being docked, even though it isn't. I mention this because when I've had mine plugged into my car charger, a plug symbol appears on the battery indicator from time to time, instead of the lightning bolt, which should always appear. Unplugging and replugging it back usually resolves it at that moment, but I've been finding that it's been an on and off problem, perhaps clean your chargers (which I have yet to do) in addition to the port.

Cheers,

Louis

Sep 19, 2013 9:51 AM in response to Julesybubs

I have a question as well including sound. My iphone 4s has no sound. When its not on silent I try to turn the volume up & nothing happens. When my headphones are in I can hear music but thats it. I cant hear ringtones or alarms and when my headphones arent in I cant hear anything. How do I fix this problem? It has nothing to do with the new download of the ios 7 this happened a few days before i got it. I'm just curious if there is a way i can fix this problem so i can get sound again?

Oct 15, 2013 4:10 PM in response to Julesybubs

My iphone also has the no sound fault, no key click sounds, no video noise, no volume dots appearing. Been that way intermitently for a couple of months. Today i planted the phone onto a 'radio-cd' with an idock and played music through the radio, fine. When i removed the phone from the radio the sounds had all returned to the phone. However it didnt last long, an hour, then the sound had gone again. I cant see it being the charger port on the phone because when i then plugged the mains charger in and gave it a good wiggle the sounds did not come back but as soon as it was connected to the radio dock & video/music was played & then removed the sounds worked again. Will repost when i find the answer, long term hopefully.

Nov 3, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Julesybubs

None of these methods worked, so I just took a very thin paintbrush and dampened it using a Clorox wipe. Then, I just wiggled it around in the charging port. The sound worked for like 3 seconds then it stopped again. So I continued to clean it and it worked! So I listened to my music for about 30 minutes until it stopped again. I just blew hard into the port and it started working again. I think the problem was that the port thought it was docked into speakers because it was so dirty. I hope I helped. 🙂

iPhone 4s sound problem!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.