Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I enable SNMP on Airport Extreme 802.11ac?

I just replaced an older Airport Extreme 802.1n with an 802.11ac, and I cannot find a way to enable SNMP. I was using this for tracking my WAN traffic with Netuse Traffic Monitor.

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 3:19 PM

125 replies

Jan 6, 2017 5:51 AM in response to Stephen.Smith

It's not stupid. Read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol#Security_implic ations and you might understand why Apple have chosen to remove SNMP support.
I also miss having the possibility to monitor my devices, and in a home scenario, the security implications of SNMP are possibly negligible (security by obscurity). But given that Airports are used by businesses as well, which are greater targets for hacking, it makes sense to remove SNMP.
As some others in this thread have suggested, the best solution (until such a time as Apple introduce some other monitoring possibility) if you absolutely need to monitor traffic is to add 3rd party device to the network: Re: How do I enable SNMP on Airport Extreme 802.11ac?

Jun 13, 2013 5:20 PM in response to danielhoherd

I don't believe this service can be administered with the (currently latest 6.3) version of the AirPort Utility. At least I also couldn't find it in either the utility itself or within its help information.

In addition, Apple Support's Specifications site does not list SNMP for the 802.11ac models as it did for the prior 802.11n ones. Both of these items would tend to make me believe that this service is no longer supported.

Jun 14, 2013 8:52 AM in response to danielhoherd

I submitted a ticket this AM to find out if this is a feature that is not coming back. Support did not know of it's dissapearnce, and is commiting to getting an update in 4 business days. Also, the kicker of not being able to deploy the new AE with the windows client utility slipped my notice and I did a firmware update and config restore from my 5th gen to my new AE. The 5th gen is still showing SNMP, but the new AE does not.

Hopefully they aren't 'done' support snmp since most focus is on this router being wireless and being able to troubleshoot that from a perf perspective is very important.

Jun 17, 2013 8:01 PM in response to el Duque

I just ran into this as well when I installed my new 802.11ac. I am thinking I might send it back and stick with my 5th gen that has support. This is great way for people who have bandwidth caps to monitor so they don't go over and a great way for me to see if anything odd is happening on my network. It is such an epic fail that Apple removed this feature. I use these in my office and this treuly gives me pause if I will continue to do that or switch to something where I have more control. I am sending direct feeback to Apple on this as well.

Jun 17, 2013 8:41 PM in response to el Duque

I have Aiport Utility 5.6. Not only is SNMP missing from the configuration screen when using it and the new 802.11ac device, before you even get there you are prompted: "This version of AirPort Utility doesn't support this AirPort wireless device and might improperly configure the device if you continue to use it. Check www.apple.com/support/airport for the latest version of AirPort Utility."

How do I enable SNMP on Airport Extreme 802.11ac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.