Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight not working with Webex, GoToMeeting or Lync...BUT works with Skype, Facetime, Photobooth (June 2013 MBA)

Brand new MacBook Air (June 2013, 8MB RAM, 500GB SSD)

iSight not working with Cisco Webex, Citrix GoToMeeting or Microsoft Lync (error = webcam not detected); BUT iSight works with Skype, Facetime and Photobooth.

3 hours of phone support with Webex - no luck.

Tried SMC and PRAM reset - no luck.

Tried erasing disk and reinstalling OSX 10.8.4 and apps manually with latest versions - no luck.

Apple phone support says it's not Apple's problem because Apple apps work.

Exchanged at Apple Store for another new MacBook Air, again installed apps manually with latest version (not from time machine) - STILL NO LUCK!!!

Is there an update Apple or Cisco, Citrix and Microsoft need to put out for the new MBAs or do I just have 2 lemons???

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 7:43 AM

Perhaps not lemons, but this link may explain why you are having trouble:

MacBook Air (Mid 2013): FaceTime HD Camera may not work with some applications

If the apps you must use will not be modified for compatibility with the new Apples, the easiest workaround I can suggest is to use a different device that is compatible with the services you want to or must use. The services giving trouble should be able to tell you which hardware will work with their products.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2013 7:43 AM in response to 1wave

Perhaps not lemons, but this link may explain why you are having trouble:

MacBook Air (Mid 2013): FaceTime HD Camera may not work with some applications

If the apps you must use will not be modified for compatibility with the new Apples, the easiest workaround I can suggest is to use a different device that is compatible with the services you want to or must use. The services giving trouble should be able to tell you which hardware will work with their products.

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Jul 11, 2013 7:49 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks for the link EZ Jim, good to at least see the problem is recognized by Apple. I will continue to work with Cisco Webex and next will contact Citrix GoToMeeting. Cisco Webex has been good at troubleshooting and following up so far, so hoping it can be resolved soon. Will post back on progress. Not having the camera for Webex and Lync are both show-stoppers for me at work, and would rather not have to plug in an external webcam which might be a cheaper alternative also so not even going to try.

Jul 11, 2013 8:42 AM in response to 1wave

You're welcome.

1wave wrote: ... an external webcam which might be a cheaper alternative ...

It will be interesting to see what the vendors say about using a Mac-compatible external webcam.

If not, some netbook or other Windows® device might offer compatibility at a much lower cost than a compatible Apple notebook.

We will watch for your update(s). What the vendors tell you will be very helpful to others who share this or similar issues with their new MBAs.

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Sep 13, 2013 9:52 PM in response to MD Mac User

Here it is September and the issue persists with many non Apple applications like Skype and Google. Apple says contact the developers.(See KB TS4552 http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4552) There seems to be no video chat app that one can use to chat with a PC. I've always championed Apples, but now, sadly, we've canceled our order and are selling our new MB Airs and shopping for netbooks.

Symptoms

Some applications not developed by Apple may not recognize the built-in FaceTime HD Camera or may display a black screen on MacBook Air (Mid 2013) computers. This may also occur with Final Cut Pro X v10.0.8.

Resolution

Update any affected application to the latest version. Contact the developer for assistance with applications not developed by Apple.

As a work around for Final Cut Pro X or other OS X video applications, you can use QuickTime Player's New Movie Recording menu item. Use this to capture video from the built-in camera and then import the clip to the application.

Sep 17, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Eric J Norman

It's a really easy fix, actually, just take aout the file Apple broke with the 10.8.5 update and replace it with the old one. Lots of people in the Skype discussion have done it and it works fine.

Here's a link to a step by step from the Skype chat. http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/OS-X-10-8-5-broke-Video-on-MacBook-Air/m-p/191 3759#M58459

Basically, in the finder menue, under go and go to folder paste in /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/

Trash or rename it this file. Then replace it with the old version. Here's a link to the skype discussion to the old file.

http://http://community.skype.com/skypec/attachments/skypec/Mac/58252/1/AppleCam era.plugin.zip

Your camera will work again, just like before the update.

Sep 27, 2013 11:35 AM in response to 1wave

Are there any Apple reps monitoring this issue? This is absolutely unacceptable - you can't simply say that a core hardware function won't work with 3rd party apps. How would we react if they said "Your keyboard is functional, but only in iWork, not Office". Additionally, mine does not work work with APPLE apps as well (iMovie). The Apple post on the compatability issue is over 3 months old - horrible service.

APPLE: Offer an option for users to downgrade to the last version if you can't figure how to fix the 3rd party functionality you've broken.

Sep 27, 2013 3:16 PM in response to bob0821

I was referring specifically as to Skype, not otherwise. Pardon for any confusion. 😊

As per your link - "Some applications not developed by Apple may not recognize the built-in FaceTime HD Camera"

'Core functionality' refers to anything Mac OS resident i.e. Mountain Lion and Apple applications, not to 3rd party applications that operate thru Apples hardware.

Peace.

iSight not working with Webex, GoToMeeting or Lync...BUT works with Skype, Facetime, Photobooth (June 2013 MBA)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.