Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"LOGIC PRO X: Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010)" This is the message that I was having since two weeks ago with my Logic 9. I updated two days ago to Logic X and I am still having the same problem.

"LOGIC PRO X: Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010)" This is the message that I was having since two weeks ago with my Logic 9. I updated two days ago to Logic X and I am still having the same problem.

I recently formatted my computer. In other words, I'm not using too much memory of my HD. My Memory Ram is 8GB.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 1:02 PM

Well, i bought a new computer from the store. downloaded logic as the only thing (from app store). I have nothing of any mentionable size on the drive, but i cant use logic because it gives me the disk too slow message every 15 seconds.....

i don't get it.

25 replies

Aug 13, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Ricardo502

haha your right, ridiculous. I also wanted the melodyn style pitch flex so bad...

ANYWAYS... I believe i solved my problem... Logic only runs in 64bit... am I right? anyways iv been running maschine in all my sessions maschine was set to 'open in 32bit mode' once I changed it to 64bit... made a massive difference. I probley changed it around the same time i started getting problems because some plugs run better in 32 over 64 in maschine. All my software/plugs is legal. I might start checking all the other plugs to see if I can make this change.

so this made a dramatic difference. Iv never really taken much notice of my CPU usage... but one thread always seems to be working around half way... even when im not doing anything? Im guessing this is normal?

Im currently updating my duet 2 drivers....

Also any advise on harddrive setup... people running sessions from external hirddrives.. pros & cons? surely running them from internal is faster than running from a 2.0 usb harddrive?

Format my internal as a HFS + Journaled?

""""

I already use an external 7200 drive connected by Firewire, formatted as HFS+ Journaled.

Further research I've done suggests it may be best to format the external drive as HFS+ but NOT Journaled.

That format option is not available in Disk Utility.

Is NOT Journaled a good idea and, if so, what can I use to Format like that?"""

Jul 27, 2013 5:40 PM in response to swb743

Thank you for your answer swb743.

The question is: I never had this problem before when I was using Logic 9 even saving my projects in my internal HD and. Two weeks ago the problem started (still using Logic 9), I thought probably was the Logic 9 and that was the reason I decided to updated to Logic X now I have Logic X and I have the same problem.

I'm planning to buy an external HD anyway.

Aug 13, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Ricardo502

I have had the EXACT same problem. A week before logic X comes out it starts bugging out... i deleted a bunch of stuff on my HD and cleaned up everything... didnt fix anything... then logic x came out and I though oh i better update that will fix everything... and im still having the same problems... its rediculous.

Im running 2.3 quad core i7 early 2011 with 8GB of gram... on a 500gb 7500rpm... as if I should be having problems..?

Iv resorted to freezing tracks etc and STILL isnt solving anything.

Aug 13, 2013 7:31 PM in response to Ricardo502

I get this message from time to time.

I already use an external 7200 drive connected by Firewire, formatted as HFS+ Journaled.

Further research I've done suggests it may be best to format the external drive as HFS+ but NOT Journaled.

Is NOT Journaled a good idea and, if so, what can I use to Format like that?

cheers

Logic 9.1.8 and 10.0.1

Aug 13, 2013 9:46 PM in response to dandotcraig

dandotcraig wrote:

A week before logic X comes out it starts bugging out... i deleted a bunch of stuff on my HD and cleaned up everything... didnt fix anything... then logic x came out and I though oh i better update that will fix everything... and im still having the same problems... its rediculous.

Umm,, no offence... but what is ridiculous... is you didn't troubleshoot the original problem but instead you assumed it was a LP9 problem so you updated to LPX which is still in its early days and is likely to be less stable than LP9... rather than more so!

So.. Here's the thing....

LP9 was working fine and then stopped working normally according to you. Therefore what changed at the time LP9 stopped working normally?

Here are just a few ideas to think about.. for around the time this started..

Did you update Logic Pro 9... OS X... Drivers for Midi/Audio or other connected devices?

If you did, did you then restore from a backup you made prior to these problems occuring and what happened when you did so? (assuming you do make backups of your system?)

Did you install any new Apps on your Mac?

Did you add a new Hard Drive? How is it formatted?

Did you start recording or creating music in a different way to how you used to before the problem started?

Have you started using a different SI or FX plugin or plugins.. More or different FX for example.. Did you install a new version of a plugin?

Is all your software legal? (Have to ask because some people install all kinds of illegal plugins and whatever else.. and have no idea how the 'cracks' work or what they might affect/mess up/conflict with in the process)

Have you looked at the System logs to see if anything is happening out of the ordinary when you get these messages?

Have you looked at OS X's Activity monitor to see if any app or routine is kicking in hard when you get this issue?

Basically, you need to think about and look for what changed... because something apparently changed to suddenly cause these issues...given you said you didn't have them until a certain timeframe and some of the questions above, I hope, will get you thinking..

....and maybe a few of the others here will come up with other ideas and suggestions to help you...

Good luck and let us know how you got on...

Aug 13, 2013 11:15 PM in response to Murray Campbell

Murray Campbell wrote:

Is NOT Journaled a good idea and, if so, what can I use to Format like that?

Don't tell Apple, I run all three of the drives in my Quad core Mac Pro with Journaling off... makes for a generally much smoother ride. I've done this for years btw.

Yes, format your external drive with journaling off. The option IS available in disk utility all you have to do is hold down one of the modifier keys for it to appear in the menu. Option? Control.. I forget.

You should not be getting this message, even using internal drives for moderate projects.

I think it's as much the operating system as much as anything else, did you notice the "Disk too Slow or Overload" message not too long after upgrading to 10.8.4

Another option woud be deleting preferences and the shared control surface file.

• In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
  • Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  • Press the Go button.
  • Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro.
  • then delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.

You folks aren't doing anything foolish like trying to run high sample rates are you?

Aug 13, 2013 11:35 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks PC for the tip on how to format with journaling off in Disk Utility.

Obviously my system drive will stay Journaled, as will my Time Machine drive.

I will just reformat the external audio drive with journaling off.

Nothing to do with my preferences I'm sure.

(God knows they have been trashed many times for various reasons)

No control surface to worry about.

97% of the time I'm running 44.1, sometimes 48, rarely 96.

Problem when using 44.1 - often.

Not sure if you can blame 10.8.4.

The issue has existed in various forms for years - which takes me "way back" to 10.6.8. :-)

Either way I'm on 10.8.4 and I have no interest in downgrading to older OS.

I do run some pretty seriously CPU taxing projects.

cheers

Aug 14, 2013 12:54 AM in response to Murray Campbell

Murray Campbell wrote:

Not sure if you can blame 10.8.4.

The issue has existed in various forms for years - which takes me "way back" to 10.6.8. :-)

Either way I'm on 10.8.4 and I have no interest in downgrading to older OS.

I do run some pretty seriously CPU taxing projects.

cheers

I do realize the "disk too slow, overload" problem has been around, well... since version 3 or 4 I'm sure.

It can mean so many things, It can be an overload of the internal bus system so that a tiny bit of data doesn't make it where it's supposed to on time. Often it's plugins like Space Designer that tie up the bus, not only does it take a lot of cpu to do the convolution math it has to pass the data through as well.

Hopefully reformatting the drive helps, it may or may not.

Journaling only manages disk integrity with files under 20Mb, if something happens to the audio drive chances are journaling won't be able to do much, if anything. Journaling is mainly used on servers where track of many small files (some of them open) needs the added integrity. If the computer crashes and some files and/or the directory needs to be rebuilt journaling comes into play. I've never used journaling never seen any problems, the drives don't work as hard.

Aug 14, 2013 7:50 AM in response to Pancenter

Oh I see pancenter, looks like I don't need/have to actually reformat my drive.

Just open Disk Utility, select the drive, hold down Option, open the File Menu and select Disable Journaling.

Before I do that please confirm that, if I do that, then subsequently want to revert for some reason, I can by simply selecting Enable Journaling.

Thanks.

cheers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.