Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Godaddy outgoing server to work in Mail - OK in Outlook

No matter what I try, I just cannot get the Godaddy outgoing server to work in Mail, but it works OK in Outlook for Mac which I don't really want to use if I can avoid it.

I've tried all my 3 accounts and none of them work with sending. All Ok receiving.

Tried smtpout.secureserver.net with and without SSL, and with all sorts of ports 80, 3535, etc.

Nothing works.

Can anyone suggest any solution or more in depth troubleshooting methods. I feel it's some security issue which Outlook seems to have more settings for.

Thanks.

 iPhone 4S 32Gb,  AppleTV2-OTHER,  iPad 32Gb Wi-Fi  iMac 27" 3.4GHz

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 6:24 AM

105 replies

Feb 4, 2017 2:04 PM in response to igmackenzie

I know this is kind of an old post, but it's still a challenge for a lot of people. After much blood, sweat and tears (seriously, my cat bit me during the process), I was finally able to get GoDaddy mail sending from my iPad.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Go to Settings > Mail > Add Account
  2. Name: Person’s Name
  3. Email: Person’s Email Address
  4. Description: Automatically Set
  5. Incoming Host Name: mail.mywebsite.com (replace with your own domain)
  6. User Name: Person’s Email Address
  7. Password: Person’s Email Password
  8. Outgoing Host Name: mail.mywebsite.com (replace with your own domain)
  9. User Name: Person’s Email Address
  10. Password: Person’s Email Password

Save and let it all verify. Then go back and add the following to your Outgoing Server:

1. Use SSL: Off
  2. Authentication: Password
  3. Server Port: 25

Open the Mail app. Email should download immediately if there’s any in the mailbox. Send a message to an external address to test.

Notes:

• After entering your initial settings, iOS will attempt to verify the server. If get a secure certificate warning, you may need to View Details, then select Trust. It will do this for both incoming and outgoing servers.
  • Email will remain on the server so you can access it from your computer later on.
  • My email accounts are created in CPanel (Ultimate Hosting and Business Hosting packages).
  • I know some people will scream and holler about non-SSL, but it's the only way I've ever managed to get it working.

I've used GoDaddy for nearly 10 years, but this is actually the first time I've had to set up their email for the iOS Mail app. If you can avoid it, do so. I typically set up email once in Gmail and use that app on all my devices.

Hope that helps someone else out there.

Jul 27, 2013 8:27 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks but as I said in the original post, I have tried various ports listed with and without SSL. Nothing works.

The Godaddy server just shows up in the SMTP list as 'Offline'.

It works OK in Outlook, and it also works OK on my iPhone and iPad. As a side note, it also works on my iMac (on a different Godaddy email account) with the exact same server details except for the user name and password.

Jul 27, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks again.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I tried all the appropriate ports for SSL on and off. I don't have SSL on my account.

My other Mac works with 'Use Default ports', i.e. 25, 465 and 587.

I tried deleting the account and rebooting previously, and it didn't work. I tried it again following your suggestion, but it still doesn't work.

I don't know why it says 'offline' in the Accounts panel.

Don't know if it helps, but this is the result of trying to Telnet. Does that not suggest a connection?

User uploaded file

Jul 27, 2013 9:56 AM in response to igmackenzie

You can try resetting Mail.

Do a backup.

Take notes of all account information or take screen shots. You may need to set the accounts up again. Quit Mail.

Copy the line below.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

While holding down the option key, select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Information learned from Linc Davis.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.2. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Jul 27, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

Copy the line below.

While holding down the option key, select Go/Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window. You won’t see it.

Just for clarification for the OP these are two different approaches to get to the same file.

1.)While holding down the option key, >>Shows the hidden users Library (~/Library.)

or

2.) select Finder>Go>Go To Folder from the Finder menu bar. Paste the line into the window

Using the Go to Folder option will take you directly to the file itself in your user Library (~/Library,) no option key necessary.

Eric Root wrote:

Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

AND if you are recommending moving the entire folder you are better off going to the /Container:

~/Library/Containers/

Can't get Godaddy outgoing server to work in Mail - OK in Outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.