Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic X Out of tune bug

I work with Logic Pro X every day since it has been released and noticed a very strange bug with both audio and software instruments (MIDI):

After saving and reloading a project Logic Pro X randomly plays audio files out of tune. It is not affecting every track, but some. I checked everything: sample rate, interface (Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2). The strange thing is: after stopping playback, starting, stopping again and starting again and opening the track in the sample window, playing it back there and so on.....everything works just fine.

Today the same with MIDI:

I saved a track some days ago. Today I reopened it. Just piano. Logic Pro X starts to insert false notes and some, not all, notes are out of tune. I checked the arrangement in the piano roll, score and event list. Everything is fine. No controllers, nothing. I even switched to another instrument and internal audio. Same result. I then moved the region to a new track (external MIDI) and played it back over USB and a ROLAND Juno-Di. Perfect. After that I exported the region as a MIDI file and imported it back to the same software instrument track were it was before. Everything works fine.

That's strange, isn't it?

The last two updates didn't correct this bug - and I really think it is a bug, because it happens to new songs and imported songs (from L9), but never happens in L9.

No third party plug-ins are involved! Just Logic! I checked that before.

I wrote a bug report for Apple and hope they will do something about it.

Anyone else with this bug?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 2:45 AM

57 replies

Sep 29, 2017 2:33 PM in response to Amaros

I have had the issues occur on two completely different midi rigs. The one at my office is a Kurzweil PC3 and only track one which was a Piano was out of tune with 3 other midi tracks playing out of the same PC3. In my home rig which uses a Hammond XK1C it was playing in the wrong key against my Kurzweil K2500 last week. Today on opening a song which previously worked fine then had the Hammond tuning issues now the K2500 has one track playing out tune with the horn and bass lines coming out of the same K2500. In both cases the songs which exhibited the weird behaviour have worked fine at other times.

I lost a whole session because songs which had worked fine previously could not be forced to play in the proper keys. When last I checked they are now working fine. Something is definitely wrong with the current iteration of logic X. A most frustrating ghost in the machine.

Sep 29, 2017 5:48 PM in response to Amaros

Yeah I have the same bug
Track plays fine in the loop library but is out of tune when dropped in the work flow and played
 Its really annoying there is a few other bugs too but overall Logic Pro X is still the best DAW out there as far as I am concerned
I am sure they will fix them eventually
Not going to bother calling the costumer support that seems to be a joke with everything now of days
Good luck everybody
 😎

Aug 23, 2013 7:37 AM in response to Amaros

I just bumped into a similar mistuning (transposition) phenomenon, it is completely baffling. I MIDI recorded a simple chordprogression using an EXS24 piano. It was meant to be and is the first (and only) track with MIDI on it in this project. No hidden tracks, no Melodyne, no MIDI plugins, all Inspector values "virgin", just some MIDI that seems to be weirdly corrupted...?

When I played it back one note totally misbehaved: in a GMaj7 chord, the constituent B note was replaced by a (awfully dissonant) D# note! But the piano roll clearly shows a B note, not a D#. Even when I muted all notes exept the B note, a B note is heard when clicking the note, but when engaging playback, Logic plays a D#!?!?!?

I tried two different EXS piano's and the EP, they all exhibited this weird transposition of one single note.

It was a project started in LP9.

User uploaded file

These B notes play a major third higher (D#) when played back. When clicked, they play the correct B note.

Aug 24, 2013 1:10 AM in response to Amaros

Bug report filed.

For anyone wishing to hear it for themselves, from this thread you can download an LP X project exhibiting the problem, and I also made a bounce (few posts down) in which you can clearly hear the dissonant notes.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=517486#p517486

Also, there is a way to fix it (after the fact):

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=517655#p517655

Aug 24, 2013 1:14 AM in response to Eriksimon

This is the fix I found out myself, although I wouldn't think of it as a fix - it is a work around.

But, since this not only happens with Logic 9 projects, but with Logic X projects, too, it is a severe bug - not just an import failure.

And: it happens with audio, too. The re-import thing is not possible, if it is a comp or if you have many snippets, because one would be forced to render them before.

Aug 24, 2013 1:23 AM in response to Amaros

I must add that I haven't had this issue with audio (knock on wood); could you perhaps strip down your project so it exhibits the audio transposition problem, then zip that project and attach it to a post you can make at LPH? They allow .zipped attachments to posts, making troubleshooting just that much easier then with words only.

Here's the topic:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99041

Aug 24, 2013 4:21 AM in response to Ed Egned

As I said before.....in my case: nothing is corrupted and nothing is imported from L9. It was just one track made with Logic X.

I cannot post the audio because of copyright. The song will go public soon and I don't want it out before. Sorry. But I am pretty sure that it wouldn't help anyway, because sometimes it happens and sometimes not. In my opinion there is something wrong with the playback engine of Logic, not with the songs.

Aug 24, 2013 5:07 AM in response to Amaros

Amaros wrote:

As I said before.....in my case: nothing is corrupted and nothing is imported from L9. It was just one track made with Logic X.

I think Ed is talking about my project only here. But yeah, the fact that your project was created with LP X sort of ruled out "L9-to-LX" issues... but your issue also affects audio, which I find even weirder... as if some sort of "universal transposition error" is 'floating' around... so... I tend to agree with you on this one:

Amaros wrote:

In my opinion there is something wrong with the playback engine of Logic, not with the songs.

After some more detailed examination of my project, I found the issue is very specific: B2 notes transpose an augmented 5th/8 semitones down to D#2, and only on playback.

Aug 24, 2013 5:23 AM in response to Ed Egned

Hi Ed, thanks for looking into it. The missing instrument strip is actually in the clicks and ports layer, I 've probably used this project in LP9 a few months ago to illustrate a question.

I think environment corruption can be ruled out, because creating a new Soft Instrument track and moving the region over to that, does not fix it, it's like it's the region itself that has become corrupted. I'll try copying the region to a fresh, LP X started project and see if the behaviour changes or not.

Update: Yep, just tried that, it must be the region, the playbackbug persists. I'll attach that project to the LPH thread too.

Ed Egned wrote:

...with instrument- **** is open.

Looks like you accidently created a new word for groupie... Instrument s l u t ...😁

Aug 24, 2013 6:05 AM in response to Eriksimon

Yes I saw it in clicks and ports layer, but it must be in mixer too, so it is strange behavior of environment.

You must open fresh new song import track from corrupted one and it will be OK, if you import that corrupted object- it destroy environment and after that you can do what you want- it remain corrupted,

By the way that word was H.E.L.L.- apparently that's forbidden word there.

Aug 24, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Amaros

HI,

same problem here. I tried to disconnect all my MIDI keyboards (I was affraid that it is caused by some of my external MIDI devices), no success, there is someting inside LX. Even with all MIDI input devices disconnected some of the track changes the pitch (actually it seems to be a MIDI pitch bend, because it can be adjusted back by tweaking the pitch wheel on keyboad up and down). Also clean Logic X project here.

T.

Logic X Out of tune bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.