Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple IPhone 5 data spiking / battery drain? after ios6 / bug?

Hello fellow iphone users. Have you been baffled with skyrocketing data usage when you haven't done anything you've ever done before EXCEPT UPDATE YOUR PHONE TO IOS 6.0 or 6.1.? and likely your battery is draining? Have you combed the forums looking for answers, made many calls to your carrier and possibly Apple? I did all of this for the past 3 months when my historical 32mb monthly usage was spiking to my 200mb ceiling in weeks. I was one of the lucky ones as I've found people on these forums who have been hitting the high numbers in as little as days. Some like myself are scarcely ever off WiFi, use little more than the apps that are inherent to the phone and are now potentially facing decisions on buying a bigger data plan that they never needed before or having their data shut off to protect them from a huge bill but first they've spent hours learning how to make sure they shut down all their apps when finished, perhaps cellular as well. I went through this misery and while on hold with my carrier during the third's month's 3 hour call I started googling the issue as I was told I would likely not be refunded this month since my carrier typically doesn't refund after they've already done it twice and I was doing all I'd been instructed to do! I felt like my beloved IPhone was a grenade best left turned off. I found plenty of I0S 6 buggy info on Google and posed them to my carrier as well as to the Apple tech support person who then sent me directly to a supervisor. My carrier, btw, did grant me the unheard of 3rd time refund for my diligent effort and new education on more ways to avoid data spikes! The Apple super was a great polite guy ( true words, no sarcasm here ) and instructed me to back up my phone and we'd reset it clean. Leave my typical set up off for a day, add back some apps... but not to many... and in the interim keep a sharp eye on my data. The next day he would follow up and if all was well we'd restore my phone. If it wasn't better and the issue persisted he'd give me over to an engineer. I had also informed him about this problem tracking (back by my carrier and I ) to my 6.1.3 update the previous May. While he never outright stated that was the issue I'll allow he did say that bugs can lurk in these new updates and even the speed of your wifi downloading them can affect them! I'm not impressed. If the speed of my wifi caused this issue then it could cause it for anyone and to me that would mean there's indeed a bug. I noticed when I restarted my phone I was now running 6.1.4 from my 6.1.3. I'm watching my data and the jury's not out yet. I'm sick of this. Are you? I'm not here to make trouble. Looking at my posting history I believe it's obvious I'm not a Troll here to spend my life in the forums debating issues. I have a life. Most of my family uses this carrier so I don't want to give up my iphone or run off to another carrier.. I want this problem fixed and I want to be refunded for any data usage I shouldn't have paid for. I want to enjoy my Iphone as I have enjoyed it's 3 predecesors without fear. Here are some links I'm sharing.Thanks for reading and I sincerely hope my effort helps someoene on here.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenrosenbaum/2013/05/28/att-and-apple-battle-over -data-leakage/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/iphone-5-data-apple-verizon-fix-bug-ove rages_n_1930180.html

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/?source=cnn_bin

iPhone 5, iOS 6, IPhone 6.0 data & more

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 8:01 AM

12 replies

Sep 11, 2013 10:33 AM in response to INNRCHLD

To respond to all I'm running 6.1.4 ( 10B350 ) I was on 6.1.3 when my issue escalated to data tilt for 3 months. Since my original post which mentioned my 3 hour conversations with both AT&T and Apple I realized when the Apple tech had me back up, re-set my phone to original settings and watch it I didn't notice it had gone from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4! I was certainly never notified of this as an update and I went back and looked but it would have popped in on my phone as all previos update info has. Since 6.1.4 ( 10B350 ) my data has returned to my historically low usage! That speaks Apple's fault to me. I swore I would not spend another second troubleshooting this phone or posting here. I never want a zillion points after my name. I'd rather be .. fishing, dancing, using my working phone on my working carrier. I paid for a phone to deliver and a service to deliver and spent far more than those 6 hours frantically avoiding a financial drain. I love my iphones and since the majority of our famiy / friends are on AT&T it's the best place for me. I never had issues like this but I really feel hoodwinked this time. I'm only posting now to report new info and I'd like to know if anyone backed up, reset for a day to find they are now on 6.1.4 ( 10B350 ) ??

Sep 11, 2013 11:20 AM in response to bondgrl63

"This issue" is a problem with your phone, the apps you have on it, and the way you use the phone and those apps. it is not a problem specifically with 6.1, or 6.0, or 5.1, or 5.0, or 4.1.1, or 4.1, or 4.0, or 3.1.3, or 3.1.2, etc. And the problem has been reported with EVERY ONE OF THOSE VERSIONS and with every version prior to those. As it is not an iOS problem, but an app problem, it's not likely that iOS 7 will provide a resolution that you find acceptable.

The links provided by @INNRCHLD all refer to one specific issue for each publisher of those links. Each one was different. There was a problem with Verizon a year ago. It was ONLY with Verizon, not with any other carrier. Not even with AT&T. It was fixed by a carrier update. There was a problem with 6.1.2 that was related ONLY to MS Exchange email accounts, and only occurred if a repeating Outlook calendar entry with no end date was edited. That was fixed in 6.1.3.

There apparently IS a billing problem with AT&T, and with other International networks that use the same billing technology as AT&T. This has nothing to do with iOS or Apple. There's a simple test if this is affecting you. Go to Settings/General/Usage - Cellular usage. Reset it the day your billing period starts. At the end of the billing period (or during it) make note of these numbers. Take a screen shot. If the amount that appears on your carrier's statement or their online account management page is substantially different from what was recorded on your phone you have a legitimate complaint with your carrier. It has to be very different, as the two systems record data slightly differently. So if your phone says 300 MB and your carrier says 320 MB that's probably within the allowable error. But if your phone says 300 MB and your carrier says 3 GB it is the carrier that has the problem.

If your phone is showing high usage and it is matched by the carrier's report you need to do some detective work.

If you have an MS Exchange email account there is a long-standing (15 years at least) bug in Microsoft's ActiveSync technology. If a connection gets lost the phone may not reaiize it, and may continuousiy try to send on the bad connection. Meanwhile, a new connection has been opened. This is especially likely to happen if there was a transmission in progress when you did an update, so it will seem to you that it is caused by the version you are updating to. However, the real cause is the fact that an update was installed; it doesn't matter what version. But it can also happen at random if you lose data during a data exchange with the server.

There's a simple (but annoying) workaround. Go into Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars, tap on the Exchange account and turn off all of the switches. Then reboot the phone. After rebooting go back into settings and turn the switches back on. Wait an hour for the re-sync to complete (preferably over WiFi). Monitor your data and see if it has improved.

I've seen reports of this happening with iCloud, but I have not experienced it (I HAVE experienced the MS Exchange issue many times).

After that it is most likely an app that you have set to do automatic updates. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Or a music or video streaming app that you didn't shut down properly.

Also, iTunes Match, Genius, iCloud backup can all use a lot of data. You should set iCloud to only update on WiFi if you think this is a problem.

For diagnosis there is the Onavo app, that shows where your data goes. And Dataman, that tracks data usage against time.

Sep 11, 2013 11:35 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sorry Lawrence - this is extremely frustrating...and has been discussed on so many other forums as well....but I don't believe that your analysis is correct: this is occurring in my shared family data plan on:

THREE different phones

TWO different models (2 iphone 5s, and a 3Gs

All three users have completely different apps and user patterns.

Data usage on all three phones spiked SIMULTANEOUSLY with the implementation of the iOS6 releases referenced above.

No one has Microsoft exchange.

All iCloud, iTunes, Match, Genius, etc. matching is turned off.

And we all still have simultaneous data usage while connected to Wifi, middle of the night data usage, etc.

gsut has a good summary of this pattern at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348072?answerId=22920493022#22920493022

Sep 11, 2013 4:03 PM in response to bondgrl63

Thank you bondgrl63. I started this thread because I observed exactly what you stated when I came here worn and looking for answers. My limited past experience with the forums typically resolved the few issues I've had with my Apple products and thus I never felt the need to post anything but this is just thread after thread made up of similar merry go rounds that never end. gsut's summary does a great job displaying this. I dearly hope they come up with a fix for this bug in IO-7 so we can move along. I'm sooo past this nonsense.

If anyone finds a link from a respected news source that isn't perpetuating .. try this.. do that.. I'd love to collect them here and spare us from wasting time doing what we've paid others to do.

Dec 9, 2013 10:13 AM in response to INNRCHLD

Hi, I have the same problem. My 4s is crazy, battery goes down 1%/minute, sometimes 10% in one shot. Safari, camera, SMS, iMessage, sample games everything kills my battery in my eyes. It can not to work from 9am to 3pm if i want to check internet (by edge, 1h), write some text and take 3 photos. Tomorrow I try iOS 7.1beta, the same story. It is my 5th iphone and it is first time, when I have, a problem and I think about W8 phone. I can't to find any answer, I just see a lot of people with this problem.

Any idea? Im very frustrated.

Apple IPhone 5 data spiking / battery drain? after ios6 / bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.