Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found an iPad

Driving to work we found an iPad that had clearly fallen out of or off a car. In the case. Broken but likely repairable. I'd like to find owner. Can that be done thru the serial number or IMEI number and how would I go about that? Anyone know?

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 9:14 AM

16 replies

Sep 11, 2013 10:03 AM in response to MW1957

Maybe the person has find my iphone turned on, in which case you might want to turn it on at home where there is wifi. Then when they use another device to locate it, they can. If you don't have an ipad charger you might want to borrow one to keep it charged and turned on.

When turned on, does it automatically let you in or is it password protected? If you can get into mail you might be able to email the owner and let them know you found it.

Hope this helps.

Sep 12, 2013 11:14 AM in response to appleuser1322

Well that worked. But this lines up real close to "no good deed goes unpunished." Charged it at work, drove home. Had to go to back to school night so left it with the 12 and 15 year olds who actually spotted the device roadside. Sure enough a family appeared at the top of our drive and stood there. My son figured it out and approached them. They "say" it was stolen and proceeded to grill him on where and when we found it. I wish I'd been home dang it. But the owners got the iPad back...and you guys helped my reminding me about "find my phone." Thanks

PS it was a good lesson for my kids. The right thing to do was find the owner.

Sep 12, 2013 12:19 PM in response to MW1957

Hi MW1957,

I was so worried about that whole 'no good deed goes unpunished' thing. It's happened to me (non ipad related.)

And I almost brought it up and was thinking that the owners could be nuts, violent, etc., but I thought the better of the owners and hoped they would be grateful and not be so stupid and selfish not to realize that the ipad was somehow lost by them, most likely from their car and I figured you'd leave it at the office so they could pick it up at a neutral location for your protection.

How stupid of them to not have thought that their smashed ipad was lost by them. Most who steal ipads these days are smart enough to turn off 'find my iphone' and reset the ipad. Then many get on these forums asking for help deleting the previous owner's ID and set it up as new.

If I were you I would print out this entire thread and carry it with you everywhere you go. And some day if your sons point them out, and if they don't look like losers who enjoy the thought of confrontation, you can hand them the printed copy of all this, say 'you're welcome' and walk away. Who knows? It could be a parent at your sons' school and they'd know that you know they don't come from a place of kindness. And if they have any sense at all, they would at least have enough dignity to apologize and thank you.

And no matter what, you're right - your sons learned a good lesson about doing the right thing, and I think we all learned that we must approach doing the right thing with caution, especially when you're not with your kids because at their ages they still won't always 'get it' when they mean well.

Congratulations, though. You did a good thing!

Mar 15, 2014 2:01 AM in response to Peteus

New to this forum and couldnt see how to start a new thread.

I found an ipad mini wifi about 4 months back. I handed it to the local police. It was not collected and the police contacted me and gave me the unit. Never had an ipad so dont now much about them. It was password locked. So I did some google research and carried out a restore on it. Then in the process of activating it a message pops up - this ipad is lost please ring xxxxxxxxx- find my iphone has been activated and the ipad is linked to the owner apple ID/cloud ID.

I have been ringing and it is ringing out with no message bank. I will keep trying for a few days and happy to give it back if I can find the owner.

But if I cant - is the ipad a bin job anyway..is there a way to get some functionality out of it or not.

Surprised the police didnt have the wherewithall to find the owner but there you go.

L

Mar 15, 2014 2:06 AM in response to linds6942

linds6942 wrote:

New to this forum and couldnt see how to start a new thread.

See here > Using iPad and here > Asking questions

linds6942 wrote:

But if I cant - ...is there a way to get some functionality out of it ...

No.

The Apple ID and Password that was Originally used to Activate the iDevice is required

If you do not have that information you will not be able to use the Device.

Activation Lock in iOS 7 > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

Found an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.