Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in Recovery Mode

Hi!

I downloaded iOS7 via a Wi-Fi network earlier today, and I've been waiting to install it until recently. However, I was having a couple errors when I tried installing it, so I turned it off and back on again, and it started installing just fine.

However, after a while, the iPhone 4 went into recovery mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808) and I attempted to restore it on iTunes 11.1. The problem is that when the "iPhone Software Update" file finishes downloading, iTunes gives me the notification that my "iPhone is in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." all over again.

I've repeated this process three times now. If anyone could give any assistance it'd be most helpful.

Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:58 PM

66 replies

Jan 6, 2017 4:39 AM in response to destinyt7725

Hi!

I downloaded iOS10 via a Wi-Fi network earlier today, and I've been waiting to install it until recently. However, I was having a couple errors when I tried installing it, so I turned it off and back on again, and it started installing just fine.

However, after a while, the iPhone 6S went into recovery mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808) and I attempted to restore it on iTunes 12.1. The problem is that when the "iPhone Software Update" file finishes downloading, iTunes gives me the notification that my "iPhone is in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." all over again.

I've repeated this process three times now. If anyone could give any assistance it'd be most helpful.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2013 5:00 PM in response to jaydmurr

Update: I left iTunes going as I typed this out, and it gave me the error of "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "iPhone". The netwrok connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

I would really like to be able to at least use my iPhone and get it out of recovery mode, if it's still even possible.

Sep 18, 2013 5:50 PM in response to jaydmurr

Well, I tried installing it via my Windows laptop, and only the network connectiong error popped up.

I'm guessing this is because of the amount of people attempting to download the file?

Either way, I would appreciate the use of my phone and if there's anyone out there with any words of wisdom, it'd be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, now it says that it's "Contacting the iPhone software update server..."

I wonder what that means?

Sep 19, 2013 3:40 AM in response to jaydmurr

FIXED!!!! For me anyway, and I hope for you!

So I tried to update to ios 7 and after downloading the software itunes tried to update my iPad 3. I recieved the error 3004 and was stuck in the "Connect to iTunes" screen and could not get out of it. Completely annoyed!

But then I remembered something from when I used to fiddle with iphones. I opened a program I had called TinyUmbrella, which can be used to force boot out of recovery mode (the "connect to itunes" screen).

My ipad was still connected to itunes and in recovery mode. I opened TinyUmbrella, selected my ipad (which was just shown by the serial number), then clicked "Exit Recovery" and BAM!!! It immediately kicked my out of the recovery screen and started my ipad back up to my home screen.

Now, my ipad was still on 6.1.3 since the update to ios 7 had failed. But I didn't care, my ipad was fully functional again just like I left it before. Thank God for TinyUmbrella! Here's the CNET link for TinyUmbrella if you need it:

http://download.cnet.com/TinyUmbrella/3000-18545_4-75766724.html

Sep 19, 2013 4:29 PM in response to JosetteMarie

I posted it in some other similar threads today and have had three people reply that it worked for them too, and nobody so far saying it hasn't worked. And yes, everything was still on my iPad; contacts, web bookmarks, all photos, nothing was changed. It just didn't update to iOS 7. After I got it working again I just used wifi and upgraded to iOS 7 over the air with no problems, using it as I type this. If you're still stuck, trying this will not endanger anything at all on your device. Worth a try at least, and I'm guessing it'll work for you too. Good luck!

Stuck in Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.