Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 iMessage and FaceTime

I downloaded iOS 7 and now I can't activate iMessage and FaceTime! Every time I try to activate it a sign comes up that says "could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again" thing is there is nothing wrong with my network connection. I even tried changing my Apple ID and it still doesn't work! How do I fix this and get it to work?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:54 PM

39 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Charlotte294

I tried everything till I came across this. After pulling every last hair out, this is what I did:

Go to SETTINGS/LOCATION SERVICES/SYSTEM SERVICES/TIME ZONE SET and toggle it on. Then go to the date and time settings under general and make sure your time zone and time are correct. Try IMESSAGE again. This worked perfectly for me on my IPAD3. Hope it helps you.

Sep 19, 2013 7:01 AM in response to Charlotte294

Charlotte294 wrote:

I downloaded iOS 7 and now I can't activate iMessage and FaceTime! Every time I try to activate it a sign comes up that says "could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again" thing is there is nothing wrong with my network connection. I even tried changing my Apple ID and it still doesn't work! How do I fix this and get it to work?

I did not experience the issue with my iPhone 5, but had your same issue with my iPad 4.

After trying some fixes with network settings reset, time & date settings and such, the only solution I found was to restore my iPad from the backup, which I had made just prior to upgrading to iOS 7. That fixed it immediately.

I should add that my iCloud account and everything else was working fine at the time with that same AppleID and Password, so my sole issue was the inability to sign in to iMessage and Facetime, with that "check network connection error".

Did you make a backup prior to upgrading? If so, just restore from that backup - you will not loose anything, but it should fix the issue with logging in to iMessage and Facetime to get them setup.

Sep 19, 2013 7:35 AM in response to daddyair

daddyair wrote:

Still nothing works for me! Even changed password and tried different ids pluss reset network and location as well. The back up thing doesnt work if you updated the ios directly on your phone and I need my facetime and imessage!! Any other solutions?!!

It would, if you made a backup before updating. How you updated has nothing to do with backing up. You had the option of backing up in either iCloud or iTunes before updating. Backing up is a standard recommended step prior to making any changes on any computing device. You could then restore over the air from iCloud, or plug into iTunes and restore from your backup there.

Your other option will be to restore as new, and then set it all up to your liking again. If none of the other troubleshooting has worked, and you do not have a backup, then that really is your only option.

iOS 7 iMessage and FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.