Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Music app keeps crashing in iOS 7

A little bit of backstory might be useful: I'm on an iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and am an iTunes Match subscriber. While I was still on iOS 6 my music app at some point began to only show songs and playlists, not albums or artists.

Now that I've upgraded to iOS 7 the music app is completely inoperable. When I try to open it, it looks like it's loading for a short time before the phone returns to the home screen. The same thing happens when another app trys to access Music, such as downloading a new song from the iTunes Store, playing music through an exercise app (Nike Training Club), and even when trying to see the space usage on my phone (I think because that prompts the phone to see how many music files there are).

I deleted all the songs from my phone when I updated to iOS 7 to get space and because I thought I would be able to get them back through iTunes Match. I know that this isn't a problem with my iTunes Match library, because it works fine on two Macs and my partner's iPhone 4. I've tried turning off iTunes Match just in case. In my frustration, I nearly deleted all the content from my phone to try to start from scratch, but I thought I'd ask here to see if other people are having the same promblem or if anyone has any thoughts for a possible solution.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:51 AM

52 replies

Sep 19, 2013 10:01 AM in response to trbeck1

Same issue here. iPhone 4S was full, so I deleted all music from the phone before updating to iOS 7 (with the understanding that I'd run iTunes Match and get it all back.) After update:

1. Music app opens but crashes after about 10 seconds

2. Video app, same thing

3. When opening the About panel in Settings, it crashes while calculating available space

4. iPhone fails to sync with iTunes, hangs while setting up the sync.

Really want to avoid wiping the phone, and I'm assuming Apple will come to the rescue here. Prove me right!

Sep 19, 2013 3:41 PM in response to trbeck1

I have an iPhone 5, but I was having the same issue ...

After iOS 7 update:

1. Music app opened but crashes after about 10 seconds

2. Video app, same thing

Did the following ... reboot (Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57331922-233/how-to-fix-95-percent-of-ios-a pp-crashes/)

The harsh reality is that sometimes iDevices need to be rebooted.

Don't know how to reset your iDevice? First, let's clarify our terms. A "restart" is when you power off the unit and then turn it back on again. That's done by holding the Sleep/Wake button (the one on top) for several seconds until you see the red slider, then sliding it.

This doesn't meet my definition of rebooting, but it may well solve your app problem. However, I recommend a full-on "reset," which is performed by holding down the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds. First you'll see the aforementioned red slider; just keep holding the buttons. Then the screen will go blank; keep holding the buttons until you see the Apple logo. Then let 'em go.

Did the 'reboot' and voila ... music app stopped crashing, synced up to iTunes Match, video app launched & displays my videos ... all is right with the universe again.

Hope this helps ... best o' luck.

Sep 19, 2013 6:31 PM in response to trbeck1

I'm having the same problem. iPhone 5, iOS7, iTunes Match account and my music app does not start at all. Actually starts with a blank screen, then crashes.

I also noticed that if I go to Settings -> General -> Usage, the Settings app also crashes.

Very disappointing, Apple. I hope I don't have to wait for another upgrade to be able to listen to my music again.

BTW, tried the reboot a couple of times, but it didn't help.

Sep 19, 2013 9:41 PM in response to danjfriedman

Saw this message about restoring from a computer instead of iCloud about 15 minutes too late and it didn't take long for the restore to get hung up about a third of the way through. Started over from my computer, where I unfortunately didn't have a backup, but with all the iCloud stuff I should be able to get back up and running with some manual work.

Long story short, I have my music restored! Now on to re-downloading apps. I suppose I needed to purge some unused apps anyway...

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Sep 20, 2013 1:43 AM in response to trbeck1

exactly the same problem here. I deleted music to get some space, thinking I will get it back through iTunes match, but **** didn't go as planned, the whole music app keeps crashing, iTunes app crashing, spotlight search not working, usage in settings crashing, podcasts app crashing. All of these crash right away so completely unusable. I can't even restore the phone because it fails to sync with iTunes.... Man I hope this gets fixed very very soon because now I realize iPhone without these apps is just so ridiculous. Waiting for someone official to enter the conversation here and give a statement.

My Music app keeps crashing in iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.