Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 Contact with multiple FaceTime ID

I recently updated my iPhone 5 to iOS7, however I found that in Facetime app I cant differentiate the two ID I saved as favorite for the same person. Say that person want to be reached by his phone number on his iPhone, and be reached by his apple ID email address on his Mac, it used to show the lable of the email you saved on your phone, now it just says FaceTime.

And it even got worse, when I press the FaceTime button in the contact app, I can choose which phone number or email address I wanna ring in iOS6, but now in iOS7 it just start facetime and I can't even tell it is calling the phone number or the email address.

Is there a solution for this?

iOS 7

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:40 PM

64 replies

Sep 20, 2013 1:41 AM in response to ffnc1020

If you have more than 1 FaceTime ID in a contact (EX. one is phone number on his/her iPhone and another one is his/her apple ID email address on his/her Mac). When you press the FaceTime button on this contact, it will calling facetime to both 2 ID at the same time (Both iPhone and Mac)

For my workaround suggestion, if you want to facetime to a specific device, you may have to change to 1 FaceTime ID/ 1 contact.

🙂

Sep 20, 2013 9:54 AM in response to thekopz

That does not make a lot of sense to me. Why I have to make two or more contact entries for the same person, although it seems to be the only solution but I would rather not do that. Apple should really fix this.

When I try to add contacts again into favorite, I can add Facetimable emails and phone numbers separately, however if it's from the same person, they just show up the same way. So if I know which on is email which one is phone number, when I press on that one, would it just call the email or phone I chosed?

One more thing I noticed earlier is that I can see it says it is calling someone's iPhone (I label a number as iPhone) on the lock screen when I lock my phone.

Sep 20, 2013 2:42 PM in response to ffnc1020

I've also just found out this major feature defect. Not only it has lost the capability for picking a FaceTime ID in a contact, it has also lost the capability to identify the incoming caller id (no highlight in the contact) if the caller happens to be in your Contacts.

This is a major stuff up! I am using FaceTime on daily basis. I'd go as far to say that iMessage & FaceTime is the only reason for me using iOS devices.

Someone Apple need to take notice and fix it ASAP!

Sep 21, 2013 4:03 PM in response to ffnc1020

Unfortunately this issue has been introduced as a "feature". My speculation is that the FaceTime product manager in Apple may believe that iOS are used for personal devices. If a contact has multiple FaceTime IDs, the system will call out to all these devices associated to the IDs. And if the called party picks up this call, regardless if it's on iPhone, or iPad, or iPod, as far as FaceTime function goes, it has accomplished the task.

But what the product managers fail to understand is that we, as your customer, have used FaceTime in various scenarios which require the capability to choose called party's ID, which effectively choose their devices for various reasons!

Wake up, FaceTime product managers, One size fits all will never work. You need to learn your Apple's own strategy on the new iPhone 5S and 5C launch!

Sep 28, 2013 12:56 PM in response to ffnc1020

You just register extra email addresses to FaceTime and choose which ones the device you want to use can receive calls on, that way you can call yourself too.

I know it doesn't solve the problem of not knowing which number / email you are calling when FaceTiming another contact.

My issue is that I have friends / family where all their numbers are in the same contact entry - makes more sense that way. Now, to FaceTime them individually, I have to split the contact and therefore duplicate a significant amount of info - address, home number etc.

Definitely think this is a step back and that a fix should be designed.

Oct 1, 2013 6:12 PM in response to ffnc1020

Here is a solution from iMore.com.

iMessage and FaceTime are wonderful, empowering, enabling technologies that... can frustrate the crap out of you at times. One of those times is when you update or restore your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to a new operating system - like millions of people just did with iOS 7 - and it stops working. If you're having trouble with iMessage or FaceTime, if they won't activate or simply won't work, here are some things you can try:

Turn FaceTime or iMessage off and then back on in Settings.

Launch Settings by tapping the icon on the Home screen

Scroll down to Messages or FaceTime

Toggle the switch from on (green) to off (white)

Wait a minute

Toggle the switch back to on (green)

Wait for it to re-activate

Hard reboot your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad

Make sure you're on Wi-Fi

Hold down both the Home button on the front, and the Sleep/Wake button on the top of your device

Wait for the Apple logo to appear

If it still doesn't work, repeat step 1 (turning FaceTime or iMessage off and on)

Reset network settings

Launch Settings by tapping on the icon on the Home screen

Tap on General

Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Reset

Tap on Reset Network Settings

If it still doesn't work, repeat step 1, then step 2, above (Turning FaceTime or iMessage off and one, rebooting).

One of those, or a combination of both, should get you going again. If it works for you, or if you find any other ways to trouble shoot, let us know in the comments!

Oct 6, 2013 7:22 PM in response to ffnc1020

I agree, this needs to be fixed. I have another seneriao for you.

1 Wife is at the store with the IPad

2 I am at work and have my IPhone and Macbook

3 My oldest daughter is on the IMac doing homework.

All devices have me listed as a contact with all devices listed under me as a contact, and all devices have a separate email attached to them, My youngest daughter is on her IPod and wants to facetime me, and just me. She hits the facetime button for me under her contact list and she now calls my wife, my oldest daughter, and me on both the Macbook and my IPhone.

In IOS6 she could just hit the facetime icon next to my phone number in her contact list and not disturb anyone else. That is what needs to be fixed. The thought of changing all the contact lists in all my families devices is not the function of good software design.

Please change this back

iOS 7 Contact with multiple FaceTime ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.