Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 music app does not display artist pictures and has incorrect album art after master reset.

Strange issue here. I did the update from iOS 6 to iOS 7, after I did the update, I noticed my synced music has just a random photo of the artist / group, that seems to be downloaded from the iTunes sites, because these pictures of the artist/group is not my album artwork.

I did a master reset on my device because I wanted to start from a clean slate, and set it up as a new phone. I went through and adjusted all of my settings and synced my music back on via iTunes, now its not showing these pictures any longer, infact, the strangest issue of them all.. is now when I view artists, the album that I synced now has a complete different album artwork picture that is not related to that album.

I am at a loss, my iTunes is extremely organized, I have everything configured to be 100% accurate for track names, artist, album, and album artwork.

Anyone have any input here? It only screwed up after the reset I did. This has to be a bug or something.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 12:01 AM

37 replies

Sep 24, 2013 4:54 PM in response to Opticflare

I noticed the random artist photos for certain artists that used to show the album art. I was forced to do a reset do to another issue, and now those artists merely have the "blank" artwork where it lists an album name. When you click through to the artist, all of the albums have artwork, but they still dont feed into the artist directory.

Sep 25, 2013 8:10 PM in response to Opticflare

Same deal with the missing artist thumbnail photos, running Match on my device. When I updated iPhone 5 to iOS 7, certain artists (Beatles for example} got a profile photo in Artist view. Seems to be the same photo used in iTunes Radio, for example if you subscribed to The Beatles Radio it showed the same photo on the Radio tab.

On new iPhone 5S, setup from backup of iPhone 5, the Artist tab shows blanks for every artist that had a profile photo. I have not figured out any way to get those to load again. All album artwork is shown in Album tab. Strange.

Please post if anybody finds a solution that works.

Sep 27, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Opticflare

Opticflare, you can try this, but you will have to remove your music first to make it work. But if you want the artist view to show an image of the artist's album art (and have your choice of which album art to show) try this.

In your devices settings go to "iTunes & App Store". Tap on your Apple ID (in blue text) and select "Sign Out".

Remove all of the artist's albums from your device. Now move an album from that artist from your iTunes library to your device, however the FIRST ALBUM you move over will be the album art associated with that artist.

For example, I have seven AC/DC albums but I want the cover of "Back in Black" to be associated with AC/DC on my devices artist listing. After I've signed out of my Apple ID, I transfer "Back in Black" to my device first and then the other six albums in any order. "Back in Black" will be the album picture associated with AC/DC on the artist page no matter how many AC/DC albums I add.

Signing out of your Apple ID also allows you to edit your album tags if you're wanting to do that too. When you're done you can sign back in to your Apple ID and your changes will hold.

Didn't know if this would help but I thought I'd pass it along.

Sep 28, 2013 6:36 PM in response to Opticflare

I am not sure if this helps, however, I had an issue of missing artist images after a restore.

Having removed my music and re syncing a number of times the images did not return, i was still left with the grey square with a title of an album in it.

I went to an Apple store to discuss the issue and the individual I spoke to did not even realise that the music app replaced album art with artist photos, which was helpful, he even thanked me for showing him something new... no help to me but pleased to be of service.

My last hope was to attempt to trick my phone into reloading the images by changing my iTunes & App Store login. I have an old Apple ID which i don't use anymore but still know the details so i logged out of my current account and logged in with my old ID and went to the Music app and it reloaded the artist images. Once all the images were back i simply went back to settings logged out of my old account and back into my current account and all the images remained.

Hope this information helps somebody.

Sep 30, 2013 5:14 PM in response to SiMoore469

SiMooew469: Thank you! After countless wasted hours messing with this, your solution was the only one that worked! After setting up a few phones "as new" I noticed all the artist images would appear (for those that have one) even with my Match turned on. I could not duplicate it on my restored-from-backup iPhone5S, as I would get a mix of the images and album art, even for those artists that have profile photos on the as-new setups. I couldn't afford to lose all my text messages, etc. that come with restoring a phone as-new, so I tried about everything else under the sun: I tried logging in-and-out of my Apple ID, toggling Match on-and-off, I even deleted iTunes_control folder using iExplorer on a Windows machine. Nothing worked.

Here's what finally did:

If you don't have it set this way already, toggle "Group By Album Artist" in Settings->Music. For some reason that makes a difference for some artists in your library that appear when album artist is set to "Various Artists" or something other than the track's artist. Logout of your Apple ID. Log in with any other Apple ID. Open the Music app and watch all the artist images load in the Artisits tab. Once it is done, logout of the other Apple ID and login with your regular Apple ID. Finally, all the artist images will remain. Those artists that do not have a profile photo with iTunes will still show album art, which is by design. Hopefully Apple will keep updating that database.

Incidentally, it's a bit odd that those profile photos don't appear in the Artists view in iTunes 11...or am I the only one?

Oct 4, 2013 2:59 PM in response to Opticflare

Hey guys i found the best solution as far as im concerned, what you need to do is download a program called "i funbox". it is free, here is the site. http://www.i-funbox.com/ go here and download. once done, hook up your iphone, ipod, or ipad. wait for itunes to pop up, if it doesnt, then continue to starting the program. click "ifunbox" and click the "ifunbox classic" tab all the way to the left. you will then see you device in the middle there. here is what mine looks like.>>>User uploaded file

now click your device and click this path in order...raw file system>itunes_control>itunes>artwork. you will see many folders listed as numbers. if you want to replace a profile artist with the actual album, you will need to find that picture. so lets say i want to change the profile artist picture of RADIOHEAD, and heres what it currently looks like...>>>User uploaded file QUEEN is what i have just deleted and not replaced, if you want to replace QUEEN, you must find an image of tha album cover you want, and then copy the name of the profile picture that is being used to cover up queen. SO im going to replace RADIOHEAD with this album cover, my RADIOHEAD profile artist picture is in folder "3e" so click "3e" and find this image, User uploaded file. the name of this image is "1bf6bc2a59b134d_-1601658744.jpg" the picture i will be replacing this with is the name of the one album i have in there for RADIOHEAD, which is "the best of radiohead (special edition). here is a picture of what the album cover looks like. >>>User uploaded file now the size of this image must be 88 by 88px. if you have the program "paint" then open that program up and open up this picture of radiohead. once that is done, click "resize" on the toolbar and click "pixels" and resize to 88 horizontal. vertical will say about 89. but its all good. it still works! now save it as .jpg. now go back to your "3e" folder open it. to insert this new picture... oh and heres the new size that i edited.User uploaded file. to edit the name of this. make sure the profile picture of radiohead and the newly made picture of radiohead is on your desktop. to make this easier altogether. now right click the profile picture and click RENAME. "Ctrl-C" copies everything upto the ".JPG" part of the file. now right click the newly made picture for radio head click RENAME. "Ctrl-V" pastes the name onto that file. hit ENTER and click YES. the newly made radiohead picture will look like this. User uploaded file <<< if you click your image, you will see the entire file name. but for this to work, you need to right-click and RENAME again to delete the last part of the file name that has that "(2)" part. delete it. now click the image file and drag it over to your "3e" folder in "ifunbox". VOILA! 😀 now if you have your idevice on and your music app open, CLOSE the app and restart it. the music app WILL be refreshed and the new album cover WILL be implanted into the device. OH YEAH XD OWNED.

iOS 7 music app does not display artist pictures and has incorrect album art after master reset.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.