Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Problem with Keyboard Shortcuts in iOS 7

There's a significant issue with keyboard "Shortcuts" after upgrading to iOS 7. If you try to access the shortcuts (Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts), it may not let you and may instead "kill" the Settings app and return you to your home screen (it may let you in at first, but will kick you out after about 30 seconds). I have done a lot of testing and have been on with Apple for about 3 hours (the guy was great, even though we weren't able to fix it yet).

We determined that you may experience this problem if:

1. You are running iOS 7 and either (a) upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7, or (b) have restored from a device that either ran iOS 6 or was upgraded to iOS 7

AND

2. if you have turned "On" the option under iCloud to sync "Documents and Data"

The Apple rep was ultimately able to replicate the issue and it was through the testing that we reached the above conclusions. You may be able to go into Shortcuts at first (by tapping the Shortcut button), but after a few minutes it may kick you out and send you to the Home screen. If that happens, you won't be able to get back into the shortcuts. Post here if you experience this issue, or if you have any additional info. Apple is actively looking into it and hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 3:25 PM

Not able to duplicate. There may be another variable involved.

93 replies

Sep 22, 2013 3:47 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Interesting. The Apple rep was able to replicate so there must be another common denominator. Do you use a lot of shortcuts and are they synced across numerous devices? My shortcuts are synced across my two iPhones and one iPad. It first started on my iPhone and then I tried my iPad and all was fine, but then after about 30 seconds the problem occurred on the iPad.

Sep 22, 2013 5:01 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Crap - I was hoping it was more of a widespread problem. I'm not exactly sure what the rep did to reproduce it, but I have a bad feeling a full restore (not even from backup) is in my future. That will really suck, especially since I have Good for Enterprise and will have to get a new corporate PIN, which won't be easy. Maybe some others will chime in that they have the problem and Apple will fix it with an update.

Sep 22, 2013 5:47 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks. My problem is I can't get to the actual shortcuts in order to delete (or even edit) them. As soon as click on the shortcuts button, I get taken to the home screen.

It's strange, it first started on my iPhone ( a new 5S), and then when I went into my iPad, I was able to get into shortcuts, but right after I edited one I was sent to the home screen and now get sent to the home screen eveytime I click on the shortcut button. I also have two older iPhones, one with iOS 6 and one I had upgraded to iOS 7 before I got my new iPhone. With the one running iOS 7, if I turned off iCloud Documents & Data sync before trying to go into shortcuts, shortcuts worked fine. However, as soon as I enabled Documents & Data sync under iCloud, the problem started again. Now, with the iPhone running iOS 6, even though iCloud was set to sync Documents and Data, I was able to access the shortcuts to edit etc and so it doesn't look like this problem happens with iOS 6.

So, that's my long winded way of saying it seems to be an iCloud problem with Documents & Data sync when using iOS 7, or at least for me it is.

Thanks for testing it.

Sep 23, 2013 2:26 AM in response to RMSko

I'm suffering from the same problem since July or so.

The shortcuts won't synchronize across devices and the iPhone/iPad/iPod keyboard settings won't let me in. Even if I do get through, it takes about a minute to access keyboard shortcuts list and another minute every time I try to delete a shortcut. iPhone gets hot, 1% of battery life drained every minute, and CPU process hits 100% when none of the apps are running. The only thing that helps with this problem is turning off 'documents and data' tab in iCloud settings. I had to figure this out myself since Apple Korea weren't much of a help and made me wipe my device every time I called them. I wiped (DFU) my device a dozen times. I lost my backup in the process. So, I had to set up my iPhone as a new device(wonderful!), but same problem occurred, still.

(I called Apple Care again, they couldn't help me of course, but this time they told me that more customers are experiencing this problem.)

Well I googled and found some information in the Apple Community. The problem seems to occur when an iOS 6 device and an iOS 7 device are synced with the same iCloud account. The two different versions of OS seem to save shortcuts in different locations in the iCloud. This is what causes the problem. There also was a solution to this problem, deleting some files in the iCloud with your Mac, but this wasn't easy and couldn't be done when you don't have a Mac. I didn't have my Mac with me at the time, same right now, so I asked Apple Korea if they can reset my iCloud data concerning the shortcuts, but they told me they can't. They don't have the authority.

I called Apple Care again today, and they told me to reset the settings of my device, which I did, and my iPhone ended up dead. 60% of battery consumed while talking with Apple Care for an hour.

Sep 23, 2013 3:13 AM in response to RMSko

I'm suffering from the same problem since July.

Keyboard shortcuts won't synchronize across devices and the iPhone/iPad/iPod keyboard settings won't let me in. Even if I do get through, it takes about a minute to access keyboard shortcuts list and another minute every time I try to delete a shortcut. Other than that, iPhone gets hot, 1% of battery life is drained every minute, and CPU process hits 100% when none of the apps are running. The only thing that helped me with this problem was turning off 'documents and data' tab in the iCloud settings. I had to figure this out myself since Apple Korea weren't much of a help and made me wipe my device every time I called them. I wiped (DFU) my iPhone and iPad a dozen times each. I lost my backup in the process. So, I had to set up my devices as new devices(wonderful), but same problem occurred, still.

(I called Apple Care again, they couldn't help me of course, but this time they told me that more customers are experiencing this same problem.)

Well I googled and found some information on the Apple Community. The problem seems to occur when an iOS 6 device and an iOS 7 device are synced with the same iCloud account. The two different versions of OS seem to save shortcuts in different locations in the iCloud. This is what causes the problem. There also was a solution to this problem, deleting some files in the iCloud with your Mac, but this wasn't easy and couldn't be done when you don't have a Mac. I didn't have my Mac with me at the time so I asked Apple Korea if they can reset my iCloud data concerning the shortcuts, but they told me they weren't authorized to do so and told me to wait for the official release of iOS 7(only my iPad was running on iOS 7 beta and other devices including my iPhones were running on iOS 6), since there is a possibility that the problem might be solved when the official version of iOS 7 is released. I just had to live with my documents and data tab turned off.

Well iOS 7 was officially released last week and unfortunately the problem hasn't been solved, so I called Apple Care again today(one and a half month since last call) and they told me to reset the settings of my iPhone, which I did, and... my iPhone ended up dead. 60% of battery consumed while talking with Apple Care for an hour. Greatness. I've been using Apple for more than a decade and this isn't what I've been expecting from them. Please pass my comment to Apple.

I don't know how this page works, but it seems I can't edit or delete my previous comment.

Major Problem with Keyboard Shortcuts in iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.