Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waiting for items to copy stuck iOS 7

iTunes on my Mac is updated to 11.1 (126). I have update the operating system on my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. When syncing the iphone with my PC since the iOS upgrade, it gets stuck on Waiting for Items to Copy (Step 7 of 7).

iPod (5th generation)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 10:33 AM

That happens to me sometimes. Try restarting the phone and the laptop, and it might take some time so leave it. thats what i did.

63 replies

Sep 25, 2013 4:01 PM in response to JJaffa

Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did turn off the phone and restart iTunes. I also closed all the apps on the iPhone (this was a tip I read when someone with a previous version of the operating system had the same problem). More importantly, instead of staring at the computer screen waiting for the sync to finish, I went outside and worked in the yard for 2 hours. When I came back, the sync was complete.

Oct 10, 2013 6:46 AM in response to nerdi

I have this problem, and often cannot stop it from iTunes but have to go to the settings wifi sync on the phone to stop it. Not only that, but sometimes then when I sync it will copy all my music back onto my phone, thousands of songs.

I reinstalled iTunes 11.1.1 and did a hard boot of the iPhone 5s to no avail. What kind of iPhones do those of you having the problem have? I have a 5s running 7.0.2.

nerdi, I will try your suggestions and report back. But in the permissions repair, if you show details, didn't you see the well known problem that it wants to make tons of files in iTunes.app directories??

Oct 30, 2013 2:56 PM in response to JJaffa

Wish I could help.

But NOTHING but problems since IOS 7 updated on my iPod-5 and the updated iTunes 11.1.2 on my iMac. Restoring my iPod so many times now I'm dizzy. After restoring it, then putting the back-up back in, then syncing my 9800 songs (or even 200-songs) same result: STUCK ON: Waiting for items to copy.

I'll disconnect the iPod and it'll be fine UNTIL I want to update any more music - then the fun begins AGAIN. On my 60gb iPod-5 it will show 8.75+/- gb of memory availlable (which is correct for the amount of music/apps/etc on there as I've had this ipod for a year now). Then all of a sudden it will show 18.5 over the limit and the yellow "OTHER" will go to 28.5gb for absolutely no reason. Then it won't work again until, you guessed it, you restore it to factory settings and restore from back up all over again.

It's beyond frustrating, and Apple is no help. I've had Apple products for a decade and this is like I said, frustrating. PLUS you HAVE TO use iCloud now if you want your calendar or contacts on your iPod/iPhone ever again. I wish the Apple store was closer. I'd drive there with my iMac and my iPod and ask them to a simple sync for me. 😉

Oct 30, 2013 10:06 PM in response to JJaffa

Same problem here. Updated an iPhone 4s (64 GB) to iOS 7.0.3. After the update I opted to remove a few apps and added some additional music. The sync went smoothly until I reached the final phase. I wound up waiting for roughly 90 minutes with the "waiting for items to copy" message (iTunes 11.1.2.32). In the end the sync finally finished. I noticed that the sync added links to all of the TV programs and films I have purchased through the iTunes store, although it only loaded physical copies of the specific files I wanted on the device. The rest show the iCloud download icon. I don't really want them there, and perhaps that was part of the reason for the lengthy sync time. I'm not sure if I can remove them, or, if I do, if it will cause future sync delays. I'm also uncertain if adding or removing music will cause a similar sync delay in the future. I'm curious, but not sufficiently so that I'm willing to spend another 90 minues waiting to find out.

Nov 5, 2013 4:17 AM in response to Piers Bracher

Piers Bracher wrote:

It worked for me eventually. Had the above problem, so I restarted iTunes and also the phone. I switched off the iCloud syncing option too so it was all manual and it worked a treat.

But not entirely satisfactory from Apple.

Like Maverick, it all seems more complicated than it needs to be!

Disable iCloud backup on your device and you'll be good to go. I did. Credits to Piers Bracher. 🙂

Waiting for items to copy stuck iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.