Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." With "My Book For Mac" 3Tb External HardDrive?

I've purchased this item not to long ago and recieved the product about 20 minutes ago. As soon as i plugged it in i was notified with "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Giving me three options to chose from: Initialize, Ignore, Eject.

Please help with any solution on getting this external hard drive to work correctly.

Note that i am not trying to recover any files just back up the ones already on my laptop. (I own a macbook pro.)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 2:24 PM

34 replies

Oct 2, 2017 8:19 AM in response to aliana702

Hi!

Same problem with my Lacie 2TB HDD with lots of important files!

I found a good solution on my mac and wish it works for you as well.

1.Make sure you use the latest version of OS on your mac. As I use macOS Sierra V 10.12.6

2.when you see the blowing massage click on "Initialize..."

User uploaded file

3.On "Disk Utility" click on First Aid and the Run. Be patient until you see the green checkpoint.🙂

(Now you probably see the actual name of your drive. But it should be still disabled to work with.)

4.Find this application somewhere! ( I used V.14.2.228)

you can use the free version of it as well for 1week.

Paragon NTFS for Mac 15 - Skriv-/läsbehörighet till NTFS under macOS High Sierra - Introduktion

User uploaded file

5. First "Verify" you volume and the "Mount" it!

User uploaded file

I wish you can use your volumes as well 🙂

Dec 15, 2013 11:26 AM in response to aliana702

I have the same problem. Bought a My Book 3TB for Mac and dropped it. It wasn't doing anything so I bought the Vantec Nexstar 3.5 sata 3.0 drive enclosure hoping it wasn't the drive. Now I'm getting "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. When I click on initalize the drive show up but I'm not sure what to do here. Can you help me?

Feb 26, 2014 9:26 AM in response to aliana702

Having same problem with 2 hard drives. The hard drives are all working when inside the WD enclosure. But when you use a diffrent SATA to USB external connector, it flashes the "The disk you inserted was not readable... etc".

Could it be that the WD enclosure has written some codes into the drive that makes it exclusively readbale when using the WD enclosure.

I have the same experience with Seagate enclosure. It appears that external drives that ahd been connected using their enclosures cannot be read when using another connector.

Is there a way to fix this?

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." With "My Book For Mac" 3Tb External HardDrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.