Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." With "My Book For Mac" 3Tb External HardDrive?

I've purchased this item not to long ago and recieved the product about 20 minutes ago. As soon as i plugged it in i was notified with "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Giving me three options to chose from: Initialize, Ignore, Eject.

Please help with any solution on getting this external hard drive to work correctly.

Note that i am not trying to recover any files just back up the ones already on my laptop. (I own a macbook pro.)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

So you cannot drag any files to your WD desktop 3.5" 3TB? ..... Or have you not tried, OR cannot get that far?

It shows up fine in D.U. by your pic,......new drive, so....

Initialize the drive. 😊

verify by dropping some files on same afterwards

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 3, 2014 10:12 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

Hi there, i have the same problem. I have been using this external HD for 2 years. I was just putting a file on it and it failed and the 'The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer' error appeared. Does anyone know how to fix this. I have loads of important files on the HD.

Many thanks 😀

Mar 11, 2014 6:54 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

I too am getting the message on start-up after installing Mavericks. I can ignore or eject but it does not matter, all my external drives show and are working fine, (nothing ejects if I chose eject).

I plugged each drive separately to find out which one was causing the problem and it is my older "My Book" I use for TimeMachine. I did repair in disk utility and nothing was found wrong. Backups are happening as usual and I can access them in TimeMachine just fine.

So, why am I still getting this message on start-up?

Dec 15, 2013 11:26 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

I have the same problem. Bought a My Book 3TB for Mac and dropped it. It wasn't doing anything so I bought the Vantec Nexstar 3.5 sata 3.0 drive enclosure hoping it wasn't the drive. Now I'm getting "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. When I click on initalize the drive show up but I'm not sure what to do here. Can you help me?

Jan 7, 2014 11:28 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas In response to PlotinusVeritas

@PlotinusVeritas

i have this problem ..my external hard drive is fill with important data for me .. how can i out of this error

"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

whithout loose my data ..

what should i do here aUser uploaded filefter pressing initialize..

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Solved

Sep 25, 2013 2:39 PM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

So you cannot drag any files to your WD desktop 3.5" 3TB? ..... Or have you not tried, OR cannot get that far?

It shows up fine in D.U. by your pic,......new drive, so....

Initialize the drive. 😊

verify by dropping some files on same afterwards

Sep 25, 2013 2:39 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2013 11:26 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

I have the same problem. Bought a My Book 3TB for Mac and dropped it. It wasn't doing anything so I bought the Vantec Nexstar 3.5 sata 3.0 drive enclosure hoping it wasn't the drive. Now I'm getting "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. When I click on initalize the drive show up but I'm not sure what to do here. Can you help me?

Dec 15, 2013 11:26 AM

Reply Helpful (15)

Jan 7, 2014 11:28 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas In response to PlotinusVeritas

@PlotinusVeritas

i have this problem ..my external hard drive is fill with important data for me .. how can i out of this error

"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

whithout loose my data ..

what should i do here aUser uploaded filefter pressing initialize..

Jan 7, 2014 11:28 PM

Reply Helpful (13)

Feb 26, 2014 9:26 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

Having same problem with 2 hard drives. The hard drives are all working when inside the WD enclosure. But when you use a diffrent SATA to USB external connector, it flashes the "The disk you inserted was not readable... etc".

Could it be that the WD enclosure has written some codes into the drive that makes it exclusively readbale when using the WD enclosure.

I have the same experience with Seagate enclosure. It appears that external drives that ahd been connected using their enclosures cannot be read when using another connector.

Is there a way to fix this?

Feb 26, 2014 9:26 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 3, 2014 10:12 AM in response to aliana702 In response to aliana702

Hi there, i have the same problem. I have been using this external HD for 2 years. I was just putting a file on it and it failed and the 'The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer' error appeared. Does anyone know how to fix this. I have loads of important files on the HD.

Many thanks 😀

Mar 3, 2014 10:12 AM

Reply Helpful (330)
User profile for user: aliana702

Question: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." With "My Book For Mac" 3Tb External HardDrive?