Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did my screen shots go?

I'm using the screen capture utility built into OS X. So, when I hit CTRL+COMMAND+3, I hear the sound of a camera clicking a picture, but I can't find the image anywhere. It isn't on my desktop and when I look in All My Files, there are no new files that it indicates exist. Where might they be?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 12:44 PM

45 replies

Nov 15, 2017 1:47 PM in response to HectorLector

Nov 15, 2017

This is very interesting, Hector. Do you call where you read "Go to Finder, All My Files, and type in Search bar "screen shots". They should all come up there." --- from somebody else's prior answer, or in a help file?

I followed this suggestion to experiment, then looked at the search results window (Searching "This Mac" Finder window) and tried a new screenshot: It showed up there immediately... and yet, not on my Desktop.

So I then opened two Finder windows side-by-side:

Search Results window for "Screenshot" ----- and ---- Desktop Finder window,

then created a new screenshot:

The new screenshot showed up almost instantly in Search results window --- but it took 27 seconds before it appeared in the Desktop Finder window. Same time-gap in several more tests. This time gap is very odd. Can anyone comment on what may be happening here?

In addition, I tried the suggestion made in Jan 26, 2015 by designing diva

which seemed promising...
User uploaded file

(same screen in 2017)

User uploaded file

I unchecked "Copy picture..."

User uploaded file

and the first new screenshot I tried showed up instantly, as "normal" display behavior. But not my subsequent screenshots... And based on various user replies above, this Preference change worked for some people and not others.

Jan 15, 2017 10:54 AM in response to designing diva

🙂 THIS SOLUTION WORKED GREAT! Recently - for some reason - my new screen shots began disappearing. The only way I could find them was to open the Desktop file, then click on the image I'd just taken. THEN it would appear on the Desktop. Pretty annoying, to say the least.

Found this fix, tried it, and it worked - hooray! Thank you so much!

Mar 7, 2017 1:53 PM in response to designing diva

I tried using Diva's suggestion, but this didn't work for me. I was using it this morning; why wasn't it working this afternoon?

I found that as I looked at all the screenshots in Desktop, I found the ones I had just done tucked in the middle instead of at the end, like I expected, since that's the way they always are. As I examined the file name more closely, I discovered that the timestamp in the filename uses a 12 hr clock (AM/PM) rather than 24 hr clock. So the ones I did at 8 AM came after the ones I did at 2 PM.

Anyone else reading this might look at it that way, or sort their folder by date added rather than by name, like mine.

Jan 31, 2018 1:25 AM in response to Lawrence Lessig

Touch bar screen capture button was to blame in my case.

When I took screenshot with touchbar, I selected clipboard as destination and this setting was overriding everything else.
So I took screenshot again with the help of touchbar and selected destination "Desktop".
Then I quickly threw touchbar screenshot shortcut out 😀

This fixed the problem with screenshots not saving as file.

Nevertheless it didn't make dropbox screenshot settings work, I had to use terminal to redirect screenshots to dropbox.

All is good now.

Aug 19, 2014 4:45 PM in response to GoldenBough

I just ran into the same problem, and I will try to be as useful as possible. TLDR: you are missing a file in your preferences folder.

I created the problem by deleting things from my preferences folder (Macintosh HD/users/[my name]/library/preferences). I backed up the preferences folder before deleting because I intuited that some issue would definitely arise when I play with things I know nothing about, and then I deleted them all. Restarted the computer bc trash wouldn't empty. You and everyone else should not do this. Anyways, when I couldnt screenshot (same reason as you guys, no permission) I put the files back into my preferences folder from my hard drive and it worked again.

After extensive googling I found that the screencapture file should look like this:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

I still dont have that file, but my screen captures do work.

I know that all was super not-useful to almost everyone who is having this problem because who backs up their preferences? More importantly, who deletes their preferences? I had my reasons.

The (maybe?) useful bit:

I sorted the files in my preferences folder by "date added" (so as to see only the files that were added back in out of the 500 something), and there are 6 files that potentially fixed my screenshot issue. Now I know nothing about things generally, but I assume that the hidden ones called ".DS_Store" and ".GlobalPreferences.plist" don't count. Which means if you had the same screenshot issue, you are probably missing one of the other four.

The other four "new" files are:

- com.google.Keystone.Agent.plist

- com.apple.systempreferences.plist

- com.apple.finder.plist

- MobileMeAccounts.plist

Thats all I got. Don't ask me how my system functioned at all without the finder fie or the systempreferences file, thats way out of my scope. IDK if thats even the program file. Also, maybe the computer thinks the "date added" is the original date and none of these files matter at all. BUT I am positive that it was a preference that I was missing. I did nothing else to stop it from working, and once broken, no other steps were taken to make it work again.

Alternatively, http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_changing_screenshot_capture_ location

Where did my screen shots go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.