Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iCloud ID and my apple ID are different. I don't know the password for icloud and dont use the email of it. I cant delete icloud without the password

My iCloud email address and my apple ID are different. I would like to change my iCloud to be the same as my apple ID. However I don't know my iCloud password and don't use the email address it belongs to. When I try to change the password, apple brings me to a page to reset my apple ID password (which I know and don't want to change). I have even tried to delete my iCloud account completely to start again but am not allowed without the iCloud password (which I don't have) there doesn't seem to be a place to change the email address of iCloud. What can I do?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:46 PM

My iCloud is not my Apple ID. It is a completely different email address. When I put in my iCloud email address as my Apple ID it is not recognised as an Apple ID. I have 3 differ devices which all show my iCloud email address as different to my Apple ID. I can sign into my Apple ID no problem and that is how I am able to use this service. Thanks for trying. I have been trying to sort this out myself for a while now and I have scheduled a call from Apple support tomorrow so hopefully they can sort me out.

115 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2013 1:46 PM in response to randers4

My iCloud is not my Apple ID. It is a completely different email address. When I put in my iCloud email address as my Apple ID it is not recognised as an Apple ID. I have 3 differ devices which all show my iCloud email address as different to my Apple ID. I can sign into my Apple ID no problem and that is how I am able to use this service. Thanks for trying. I have been trying to sort this out myself for a while now and I have scheduled a call from Apple support tomorrow so hopefully they can sort me out.

Oct 21, 2013 7:50 AM in response to rmsolom

Hi

I got sorted in the end. What I had to do was go into the page where you amend your Apple ID. Can't remember where it is but it's not the place where you change the password. When you get onto the page you will see your Apple ID as different to your iCloud ID. You need to press edit Apple ID and put in your iCloud ID. If it asks you for a password use the Apple ID password (not the iCloud one) and it's recognised. Then you need to go into iCloud in settings and delete the iCloud account. It will ask you if you want to keep it on your iPhone/pad so you say yes. Again you use the same password. You then need to check that your iMessage is not using the wrong ID too. When you have finished this change your iCloud to the right address and then go into the page where you amend your Apple ID name and change it to the right one. I may have got the order of these things wrong but if you have a problem there is a free phone apple support number and they will talk you through it. Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2017 1:13 PM in response to randers4

Randers4, I know it's 4 years since you provided this answer, but I'm desperate! I have the EXACT same issue, where an old ID is associated with iCloud and with turning off "Find Your iPhone" prompts on my device. That ID may have been deleted or something because when I search for it using Apple ID related sites, I get the message that this email

"is not an Apple ID". The trouble with using your previous advice is, I'm not seeing the same edit options that you described, when I go to the https://appleid.apple.com/ site. Could it be that Apple has updated that website and it's user options??! There seems to be no way to edit either the primary email address or the name of the appleID. There IS a link to "Change Apple ID..." right at the top under the current active Apple ID name, but if you click it, you're prompted to enter what you want to change too, and then they say they'll send a confirmation to that address. Long story short, that old email account doesn't even exist anymore, so there is no way to get any correspondence sent to it. I just want to remove that old apple id association totally from my phone, but have no idea how to proceed. Your previous thread was the most promising I've found on the web, but I'm still stuck. Help!

Dec 6, 2017 12:23 PM in response to frogmorton1970

This is my exact issue too !!

It's actually been an issue since almost 5 years now, after an incompetent Apple store guy started messing with my devices and resetting them, blocking my access forever since. My Apple ID was from "the era" of iTunes/iPods etc) - 2004, back in the day when there were no e-mail address in the ID. I am not certain whether anyone working at Apple support in this age are actually aware of this "pre-historic" design.

The e-mail address used for this Apple ID void of "@" has of course been deleted by Microsoft and is impossible to retrieve.

Oct 9, 2013 3:00 PM in response to Precelly

Sounds like you are using iOS 7, which requires the password for the current account before you can delete it. If you don't know the password but know the answers to your security questions you can reset the password by following the steps in the first section of this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5787. If you don't know your security questions, you'll have to ask for assistance by going to https://expresslane.apple.com ; click 'See all products and services' at the bottom of the page. In the next page click 'More Products and Services, then 'Apple ID'. In the next page select 'Other Apple ID Topics' then 'Forgotten Apple ID security questions' and click 'Continue'.

Oct 10, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Precelly

Every iCloud ID is also an Apple ID. You may also have a second Apple ID that you use for other services such as the iTuens store, but that doesn't change the fact that your iCloud ID is an Apple ID.

If it is not being recognized when you try to change the password, that's a different issue. Hopefully Apple support can resolve that for you.

Oct 21, 2013 8:16 AM in response to rmsolom

If you have an old ID (email address) in Settings>iCloud as a result of updating to iOS7, you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iPhone, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. If you don't know the password for your old ID, or if it isn't accepted, go to https//appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Tap edit next to the primary email account, tap Edit, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iPhone on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https//appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

My iCloud ID and my apple ID are different. I don't know the password for icloud and dont use the email of it. I cant delete icloud without the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.