Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air iSight camera stopped working after latest firmware update

The camera is no longer recognized by the system, but it was working just fine before the update.

It says "No video capture devices were found." at the System Information App.

I have a late 2013 13" MacBook Air (MacBookAir6,2)

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 8:43 AM

I have the same issue with my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013) [ MacBookAir6.1 ] running macOS X Sierra (10.12.2)

Apple Hardware Diagnostic (AHD) shows the camera and no errors on the extensive testing.

System Information -> System Report ->

• Camera : shows "No video capture devices were found."
  • Diagnostics:

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 2017-01-15, 11:11 AM

Result: Passed

FaceTime App shows "No camera available."

I've rest SMC, PRAM, and all the standard resettings recommended by Apple.

I just reformatted OS X and checked to see if it was something I did on software side, and yet not fixed. So if the problem is software, it's with Sierra OS X 10.12.

I just don't understand how come AHD sees the camera, but the OS X does not.

I'm this close to abandon Apple and install Microsoft windows or Unix on the machine to prove the problem is with Sierra! Very Frustrating!!!

Can anyone help?

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 8:43 AM in response to pirelenito

I have the same issue with my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013) [ MacBookAir6.1 ] running macOS X Sierra (10.12.2)

Apple Hardware Diagnostic (AHD) shows the camera and no errors on the extensive testing.

System Information -> System Report ->

• Camera : shows "No video capture devices were found."
  • Diagnostics:

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 2017-01-15, 11:11 AM

Result: Passed

FaceTime App shows "No camera available."

I've rest SMC, PRAM, and all the standard resettings recommended by Apple.

I just reformatted OS X and checked to see if it was something I did on software side, and yet not fixed. So if the problem is software, it's with Sierra OS X 10.12.

I just don't understand how come AHD sees the camera, but the OS X does not.

I'm this close to abandon Apple and install Microsoft windows or Unix on the machine to prove the problem is with Sierra! Very Frustrating!!!

Can anyone help?

Feb 3, 2017 5:29 AM in response to Kevin.Haghighat

I had a similar issue with my 2013 MBA, and nothing I tried was getting the camera to work. I finally ended up taking it to the Apple Store and the tech ran some kind of uber-diagnostic on it that took like ten minutes. When finished (and again, this was just after running their diagnostic routine) the camera was working. However, when I rebooted (even in safe mode) the camera stopped working again. They tried reseating the camera cable and that didn't work either.

This probably won't be encouraging, but what Apple ended up doing was replacing the logic board AND the display clamshell. Now everything works perfectly. In my case AppleCare covered the repairs, but I did get a price quote and without AppleCare the repairs would have cost $475 - that's $100 for the labor and $375 for the flat rate repair charge.

So I thought that my issue was software related, whether a process wasn't being closed down or some other setting that needed to be changed, but it actually ended up being hardware related.

Oct 14, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus, Thanks for the reply.

But unfurtunately, this didn't seem to help me. I've installed the supplementary update with no luck.

I need you to understand that this is not an issue with Skype, but rather a system wide problem.

You can see by the attached screenshot, that there is no camera detected in my Mac:

User uploaded file

I work from home, and I do video conferences everyday, so to have my camera working is a big deal. Can anyone help me with this?

Oct 14, 2013 11:03 AM in response to pirelenito

try doing a SMC reset the following article tells how:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

if the camera still doesn't show in the system profiler after doing this reset you need to take the mac to apple store or service provider to have it looked at for repair. the following site tells how to find these near you:

https://locate.apple.com

Oct 17, 2013 5:01 PM in response to pirelenito

pirelenito wrote: ...reseting the SMC... didn't fix the issue... it is clearly something related to this firmware update.

Did you try insalling the update again?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557 instructions (in part)::

If there is an installation issue

If the updater was not successful, try installing again by opening the Firmware Updater application, which is located in the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities). Then go to Step 4 above...

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 22, 2013 6:56 AM in response to pirelenito

I have the same exact issue, after the supplmental update my camera is not being detected at all. Took it to the store, after a diagnostic test it showed that it wasn't a hardware issue because the camera was showing up. However, for some reason it still wasn't being detected. They told me to send my laptop to the repair center, but I can't afford to not have my computer at this time.

MacBook Air iSight camera stopped working after latest firmware update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.