Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is the airplay icon on mavericks?

Downloaded Mavericks and there is no airplay icon. Went to system preferences and show mirrroring options in the menu bar when available is checked... ATV is on... Don't know what to do.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:46 PM

38 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:04 AM in response to Sam-Apple

Well I have an iMac and my wifi is always on but i can not see it. But, i found this and maybe it is why I can't see it

AirPlay Mirroring

Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supported by the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)

MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

Mac Pro (late 2013)

Mine is mid 2010 so if anyone know how to add airplay to a mid 2010, or any other option, please let me know.

Oct 23, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Beanie_

It is a hardware thing so there is nothing I can do.

Here is a post from an user called Thomas Strange who talked about it and also posted an URL

Airplay is only supported on mid 2011 or later machines not because of a ploy by Apple but because hardware H264 encoding is required on the GPU for Airplay to function correctly, machines earlier than mid 2011 do not have hardware H264 encoding..

See the following URL for more information...

http://www.cultofmac.com/178460/the-real-reason-why-macs-before-2011-cant-use-ai rplay-mirroring-in-mountain-lion-feature/

Oct 26, 2013 5:30 PM in response to kiaorsi

I just posted this elsewhere - may be of use to you too: This will no doubt go straight into the screaming obvious category for most (but er, not to me) - I just updated to Mavericks plus installed updates on my Apple TV2 (hadn't been used for ages) and was going thru the same where's the Airplay icon issue... eventually checked the settings on the Apple TV itself - towards the bottom (under Settings) is the Airplay option, clicked on that and discovered it was off (switched off after the update? who knows?), anyway as soon as I bunged that on the magic Airplay icon appeared on my MacBook menu bar.

Thing is iTunes was happily playing from the MacBook thru the Apple TV even before I switched Airplay on the Apple TV, so that was kind of confusing me even more.

Oct 27, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Heads Talking

Heads Talking, I think you are on to the problem... I think the AppleTV needed a software update to resolve the problem. I originally posted that when I turned on Wi-Fi on my Mac that the AirPlay option showed up on the Mac. But NOW after updating the AppleTV yesterday I see that the AirPlay option shows up when Wi-Fi is OFF on the Mac and I'm hardwired to the network. It never seemed practical to me that Wi-Fi needed to be on for AirPlay to work. Sounds like the AppleTV update resolved the problem.

Nov 6, 2013 7:56 AM in response to Sam-Apple

I have the same problem... the apple tv is brand new the update is done, the air play mode is on, in fact there is screen message appering on my tv sugesting the use of it.., the wierd part is: if I open iTunes, voilá.. it works... the icon appears on the iTunes menu bar... I can see the movies that I have on the library....

but the airplay icon NEVER appears on the menu bar of the OS..... I selected the option on system preferences/monitors.. (off-course) "show mirroring options....." but no icon appears on the menu bar...

this is annoying because I payed for the last OS... and I change to this maverick one just because you announce it as the new great apple movment... but I can't go back to my paid OS... and I have troubles with Mail program as well.... so please @Sam-Apple or somebody else on mac can you help me????

where is the airplay icon on mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.