Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icon disappear after upgrading maverick

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with Maverick, after upgrading to Maverick, some of my icons (Safari, Mail...) have disappeared.

I have reboot my system but it hasn't done anything

Thank you for your help 🙂User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:41 AM

48 replies

Oct 23, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Nemveil

Hello!!!

I'm having the same problem with my Macbook: in the beginning most of Lauchpad whre missing!! Now they're there, but most of my Dock's icons disappeared!! Could you be a bit more specific? Exactly how did you solve the problem??? What to you mean by 'press the power button for 10 seconds and set cancel???

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me! :-)

Oct 24, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Skip@Symantec

Hello!

I really don't understart what both of you mean by 'hold down the power button (...) gives me options to restart, sleep...'. I'm on a Macbook, late 2010 and such thing doesn't happen. Which Mac model are you using?

In any case, I found a solution to this problem and I haven't had any more trouble with the 'invisible' icons!

Here's what I did (suggested by an Apple Developer):

1. Open 'Terminal';

2. Copy this text (without comas): '' mv ~/L*/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ~/Desktop ";

3. Press Enter; (Screen will flash and icons, dock & finder will disapear for some seconds! In the end, everything will appear on screen!

NOTE: On Lauchpad, some icons will have a new order! You can then put them in the order you whish to have them!

Apparently, this solves the problem and it doesn't happen again!

Hope I helped!

Best!.

Oct 24, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Skip@Symantec

Indeed!

I forgot to mention that detail: reboot your Mac. Hopefully, everything will be okay!

ALSO, you could do something I did, which is reboot PRAM!

1. Restar computer;

2. Imediattly after turning it on, press AT THE SAME TIME: Command + ALT + P+ R

3. The screen will flash & you'll hear the booting sound again! Then you can let go teh keyboard.

After entering OS X Mavericks, check the icons!

:-)

Oct 27, 2013 4:30 PM in response to Dominik N.

Hello Dominik.

Here's the thing: I think that this issue is a BIG bug and hopefully, Apple will provide us with an update soon! In the mean time, here's my theory: I think this issue has to do with the installation of OS X Mavericks. Why do I say this? Simple! About 24 hours after doing the Terminal method, the bug returned, except this time the invisible icons were the Dock icons!! I decided to re-install OS X Maverick (without erasing the HDD). After the process of re-install, my problem was solved!!!

Also, when the icons were invisible, my Mac was constantly slow!!!!! After re-installing it, my Mac velocity level was normal. It's been three days since I did this and I never had that problem again! Try it, and let me know what happened!!

Good luck!

All the best to you (and your Mac)!!! :-D

Oct 27, 2013 5:30 PM in response to Nemveil

Thanks for reply. I have just reinstalled OS X, but I can't tell yet if it solved the problem. Once I worked on mac all day long and then icons disappered, another time it happened 15 minutes after entering the system.

Apple support told me to check the disk by Disk Utility, but what I got to know in that way is that there is another bug:/

Icon disappear after upgrading maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.