Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson scan not compatible with Mavericks?

Why is Epson scan not compatible with Mavericks?

Any solutions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 2:45 AM

37 replies

Oct 24, 2013 5:50 AM in response to AlicesMac

Same problem here as well, but good news they are working on a compatible Epson Scan software...

About Image Capture Pro, it is an Apple software, you will find it in System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, you should see your printer... then go on the "scan" window, then "open scanner" (your printer has to be on) then you can pretty much scan anything you want, just like Epson Scan...

That's what I'm doing since I started using Mavericks, and it works fine for me.

If it doesn't work, it means that your ICA Scanner Driver is not working since you upgraded to Mavericks... You need to download it again, you can use this site to get a new one:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportMavericks.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=y es

or you can use our own uk page 😉

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/support/10 990

you'll need to get "Epson Scan" in the "drivers" section, not the other one NOT WEB INSTALLER (I noticed there where 2 of these on the page and you don't get the ICA driver with the second link) and it should download the ICA driver as well as Epson Scan.

Don't bother with epson scan (it doesn't work on Mavericks) and install the ICA package (double-click).

Try scanning using image capture pro and it should work.

PS: I tried dowloading it for you (epson374583eu.dmg) and the ICA driver is there, just dowload the right "epson scan" on the page

Oct 24, 2013 2:06 PM in response to 86MLG

Make sure your scanner is on. Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners

If you've been using your scanner before the update, then you should see your scanner in the left-hand sidebar. (If not, you'll have to add it by clicking on the + sign.) Click on Open Scanner. It will scan, but I would rather not have to go to System Preferences to scan.

Solution - use application Image Capture, a default Mac app in your Applications Folder. Drag it to your Dock. Launch application. You will find your scanner under Devices. VOILA!

It's not the same Epson Professional scan window I'm accustomed to using. It works through Image Capture. The Scan interface is much cleaner.

Hope this works for you. It is for me.

Oct 24, 2013 2:18 PM in response to AlicesMac

No problem mate! I tried it myself when others helped me but I couldn't tick it either...

Anyway, I think we can survive without Epson Scan for a while... Image Capture Pro is just as good, in my opinion, because I don't scan lots of pics that request lots of resolution...

I'm afraid that we'll be using that for a while, because every time epson said they would make an update and that they would release it soon, it took them months, I seriously hope they are gonna make an effort this time...

Oct 25, 2013 7:07 AM in response to AlicesMac

I find I have to use System Preferences to access Image Capture. If I use Image Capture from the Applications Folder My scanner is listed under "Shared" not under "Devices". Selecting it, far from making it useable, makes it disappear from the list. After that Image Capture will not work from System Preferences either. My scanner is not connected via USB, but is accessed over our Wi-Fi network. The only way to make it useable after that is to restart my computer. (Haven't tried logging out and back in again, so don't know whether that would be easier.) So the joy of having Image Capturfe in the Dock is not for me.

Oct 27, 2013 3:53 AM in response to ChrisMarquardt

I still can't use Epson Scan under Mavericks but it seems that Epson are working on it : check out my printer's drivers and downloads page:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid= 201987&prodoid=63094860&infoType=Downloads&detected=yes&platform=OSF_M_X9

Now it's a matter of time, though it seems that some people now have access to the new Epson Scan.

You'd better check for yourself, it might be availiable for your printer!

Oct 27, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

A somewhat complex workaround is to strip with ditto or lipo the PPC code from "Epson scan" in the package, that's causing the lock.

After that launching epson scan from the shell gives back all the functions. I have not been yet capable to revert

to normal app launching, but it should be possible.

Hope it may help, it has worked for me.

R

Epson scan not compatible with Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.