Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mavericks over Mountain Lion

I try to install Mavericks over Mountain Lion but keep getting this message: Unapproved caller, securityagent may only be invoked by Apple software.

Now I am stocked and cannot do anything :-(

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:37 AM

49 replies

Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Bart2904

Dang! that was so NOT cool. Same thing happened to me and feel lucky to have found this thread.

I was stuck in a loop of that dialog popping up saying "Unapproved Caller". I tried clicking OK repeatedly and it still kept popping up.

Seeing the comment about Safe Mode, I took the gamble and held the power switch on my 27" iMac until it powered off, waited a moment, then pushed the power button again and as soon as the chime sound happened, held Shift key to boot in Safe Mode and that worked just like it did for @Bart2904.

How in the world would an average user know how to recover from such a situation - it would be bricked computer and a trip to Genius bar. Again, not cool.User uploaded file

Oct 27, 2013 4:47 AM in response to Bart2904

Hi everybody,

I'm back to share my solution to fix this issue.

restart your computer.

Press ALT (or option) while it's starting.

you'll be able to chose between your principal HDD,or the RECOVERY HD 10.9 created automatically by Mavericks.

Select it.

...all will work fine after.

Why did we have this issue I don't know.

Maybe because lotta people has been downloading the OS X at the same time and then the authentication didn't work.

good luck !

But I'm sure that works doing that.

Have good day everyone

Oct 28, 2013 1:07 AM in response to Quint Verbal

Hi, tried that already. But you only find the "standard restore" options, like "backup from Time Machine", "run disk utility" and "reinstall a copy of MacOS" - which I did, but found me again with the "unapproved caller"-error.

What exactly happened with your OS when you booted from the "Recovery HD 10.9"? Did it just boot normally to your desktop???

Thanks

Oct 28, 2013 1:28 AM in response to Bart2904

i had 3 options. to boot on my "Macintosh HD", "Recovery 10.9", and the "snow leopard cd" i had in my player because I was about to reinstall snow leopard.

I took the gamble to select recovery 10.9 and then it finally finished the installation CORRECTLY.

the only thing i changed, i connected my mac with by ethernet to have more bandwidth because my mac is in my studio far away from my internet box.

Installing Mavericks over Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.