Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Can't Open & com.apple.internetaccount process hogging 100% CPU

Desperately seeking answers after Mavericks install..

My mail crashed and now won't open at all. I've tried most (if not all) the suggestions posted by others. Haven't tried deleting and reinstalling mail yet, as this will be my last resort since I have a work account in it that is not on IMAP.

And another troubling issue is my macbook's fan is going crazy and feels like its overheating.

Looking at "Activity Monitor" I see a process "com.apple.internetaccounts" that is taking 100% CPU and 1.6GB of memory!!

No idea what this process is and can't seem to quit it.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance

Using EtreCheck, pls see below report:

Hardware Information:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir5,2

1 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2 cores

4 GB RAM

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - VRAM: 1024 MB

System Software:

OS X 10.9 (13A603) - Uptime: 0 days 0:11:45

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM256E disk0 : (251 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /: 250.14 GB (59.72 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

USB Information:

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Kernel Extensions:

Problem System Launch Daemons:

Problem System Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.paragon.NTFS.trial.plist

[loaded] com.paragon.NTFS.upd.plist

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

[loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

[loaded] net.sourceforge.MonolingualHelper.plist

Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

[loaded] com.hp.messagecenter.launcher.plist

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.df0ab5bbe6f698196fcc21e3c1e66dcb758bd911f4d637272d9d8109.plist

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist

User Login Items:

None

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player

Language Aid

MagicPrefs

Paragon NTFS for Mac ® OS X

Internet Plug-ins:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

CMBSecurity.plugin

Default Browser.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

nplastpass.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

User Internet Plug-ins:

aliedit.plugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

QQMail.plugin

QQMail.plugin

txftn.plugin

RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

txftn.plugin

Bad Fonts:

None

Top Processes by CPU:

100% com.apple.internetaccounts

4% WindowServer

4% com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

2% EtreCheck

1% Safari

1% Activity Monitor

0% fontd

0% hidd

0% sysmond

0% aosnotifyd

Top Processes by Memory:

1.62 GB com.apple.internetaccounts

180 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent

143 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

111 MB Safari

49 MB Dock

45 MB WindowServer

37 MB mds_stores

37 MB Activity Monitor

33 MB Finder

25 MB com.apple.WebKit.Networking

Virtual Memory Statistics

35 MB Free RAM

1.51 GB Active RAM

1.48 GB Inactive RAM

587 MB Wired RAM

252 MB Page-ins

840 KB Page-outs

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 2:47 AM

61 replies

Oct 24, 2013 2:57 AM in response to Drewli77

I managed to fix this on mine by moving the contents of the <user sir>/Library/Mail/V2 directory, but I was lucky enough to have all my email stored on Exchange/Gmail so it didn't matter about removing local copies. Seems there might be an issue with the migration of old accounts to new accounts (this also appeared in the Lion upgrade I think (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3232542?answerId=15889369022#15889369022)

Oct 24, 2013 3:47 AM in response to Drewli77

I really don't know, I'm afraid. From reading that previous thread, it looks like there's something that causes the mail sync services to get confused with the old and new content, and as a result I suspect moving it out will allow you to get back to work, but moving it back again will likely means you're back at square one 😟

Perhaps there's a way to archive the old emails (outside of the mail app) and then re-import them after the fact?

Oct 24, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Drewli77

I noticed that my Accounts.plist file in ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData had grown to a massive 70 MB. Simply deleting this file fixed the issue (the new Accounts.plist is only 10 KB). I had to set up my Gmail accounts again, but it was a snap in Mavericks, and all of my preferences and messages are intact (since I didn't delete any of the other folders).

Oct 24, 2013 5:24 AM in response to Drewli77

@Drewli77 yup that's it. When Mail opened I chose Google/Gmail and let Mail set the account up for me.

Before doing that I had noticed com.apple.internetaccounts hogging the CPU. I went into System Preferences > Internet Accounts, waited 10 minutes for the spinning ball to stop, then deleted the Google account in there. There was only one Google account in there, despite the fact that I have four Google accounts set up in Mac Mail. Anyway this one account seemed to be what was slowing down that preference pane. After deleting Accounts.plist I re-added my accounts in Mail, which added them to the Internet Accounts preference pane, but now that preference pane (and Mail) open just fine without hogging resources.

What annoys me is the fact that hitting Delete on a message sends it to Trash, which in Mavericks corresponds to Gmail's Trash, meaning it gets purged every month (regardless of the setting you choose in Mac Mail). I've been using Option-Delete to Archive it, but I wish I could just use Delete for that, since I always Archive and rarely Trash messages. I would set another folder to be used for Trash, but sadly, all of the options under Mailbox > "Use this mailbox for" are greyed out.

Oct 24, 2013 5:34 AM in response to Drewli77

Like others, mail had become an unstable slug after installing Mavericks. My Accounts.plist was also huge, almost 60mb, so I decided to have a look at what was in it.

Under the <key>MailAccounts</key> section there were over 37000 instances of my partners hotmail account! - An account that has not been used for some years.

I edited the file using text edit, removed every instance of this account (by instance I mean between the <dict> and </dict> markers). When I re-saved the file it was only about 8kb. When I opened up mail, all performance problems were solved and my usual mail account & messages were untouched. The previous memory hogging "com.apple.internetaccounts" process was now only using a tiny amount of memory.

Mail is now faster than when I had Mountain Lion, and Im using a 2007 iMac.

I have no idea how the 37000 duplicate copies of a redundant hotmail account managed to propogate themselves in the xml file. Maybe they have been there for years (and may explain some of mails previous quirks?).

Oct 24, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Drewli77

Tried the deletion of Accounts.plist (mine was 42mb) and it helped!! Mail is able to launch again, but have to setup my accouns from sketch. At least I can get it running now...

The problem is I have other accounts, i.e hotmail & yahoo, in my previous Mail. So how can I link the old emails storage in my MB back into Maverick?

Many thanks to nothin7 who discovered this 'trick'. ;p

Oct 24, 2013 7:36 AM in response to Brad Skidmore

nothin7 & Brad Skidmore,

You guys Rock! That seemed to do the trick!

Step 1. In Systems Preferences > Internet Accounts, I deleted all the accounts.

Step 2. And instead of deleting the Accounts.plist, I instead used Text Edit to delete the everything that was between <dict> and </dict> that was repeating. After saving it, the file went down from 70mb to 350kb

Thanks So Much!!!!

Oct 24, 2013 12:03 PM in response to EdoardoMelchiori

nothin7 thanks! I had the same problem with the configs for hotmail addresses duplicated thousands of times which makes Mavericks grind to a halt and run out of memory. It was too much to edit manually, so I had to delete the file and set up the addresses manually. Laptop finally silent now after 24 hours of fan going into overdrive while I was trying to fix the problem.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Mail Can't Open & com.apple.internetaccount process hogging 100% CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.