Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app not working after migrating from Early 2008 MacBook Pro (Mavericks) to MacBook Pro Retina Display Late 2013

I bought a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina Display and ran Migration Assitant to transfer files from my early 2008 model MacBook Pro - both were running Mavericks at the time. Everything transferred fine with the exception of Mail.app.

The Mail folder is in the library where it is supposed to be. However, when I open the Mail.app, it prompts me to add a mail account. However, when I do, nothing happens, and if I press cancel, it exits the mail app. When I make it into the mail app, after entering my iCloud information, if I go to accounts, both my academic and iCloud accounts are already there, however, they do not show up in the Mail.app.

Any fixes would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 12:48 PM

51 replies

Oct 26, 2013 10:14 AM in response to SarahLauren15

I have a very similar issue. Just bought a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Display, ran Migration Assistant to transfer from mid-2009 Macbook Pro. My old one was running Mountain Lion though. Everything seems to have transferred except in Mail.app.

As SarahLauren15 says above, Mail folder is in the Library, and also com.apple.com.plist is also in place. However no accounts are appearing and no options are presented other than to add a new account.

Help/fix appreciated.

Oct 26, 2013 10:26 AM in response to wildgoosewebsites

I ended up calling apple support. I wish I had written down everything we did (it was about a 2-hour fix), but a couple of files needed to be deleted from the library, namely in the Containers folder. Try removing com.apple.mail and com.apple.MailServiceAgent to the desktop to see if that fixes the problem (that was about 50% of what fixed mine). Otherwise, I recommend giving support a call!

Oct 26, 2013 2:28 PM in response to Adamalicious

Thanks Adamalicious, what program did you use to open com.apple.mail and remove Container.plist?

Apple Support Chat told me to restore from Time Capsule backup, which I am trying to do. That apparently takes you back to Setup Assistant (which normally only runs once) rather than Migration Assistant. However I get an error message that "The backup cannot be opened" or something about not being allowed as the backup was made on a different model of Mac. Frustrating.

I have a phone call booked for Monday morning, hopefully Apple Support can help me fix it then.

Nov 2, 2013 1:13 AM in response to Adamalicious

This worked for me too! Thank you for the suggestion. Just a reminder to those needing assistance locating a hidden file in Finder: (1) In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder; (2) In the Go To Folder dialog, type the name of the hidden file, in this case: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Container.plist; (3) Click Go. This will take you to the appropriate location to see the file and move it to trash. I was pleased, it worked instantly for me. Before doing this, Mall.app had been unable to open, and after moving the file to the trash, it opened with all my mail, preferences, etc.

Mail.app not working after migrating from Early 2008 MacBook Pro (Mavericks) to MacBook Pro Retina Display Late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.