Skip navigation

New rMBP sleep/wake failure crashes

32924 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 7:25 AM by zukefresh RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 ... 18 Previous Next
KumoLumo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 29, 2013 5:02 AM

I'm using the new Retina MacBook Pro running Mavericks, and in the short span I've used it I've encountered a problem multiple times where the machine crashes during sleep. (I also tend to leave my WD external hard drive plugged in, if that makes any difference.)

I have two error logs, but since they are quite lengthy I have made them viewable in this Evernote:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s200/sh/6f691ae9-87ba-415f-8951-609d7aec69f7/7ed5 88cbbb0ef7b5368a6fc1aaf83f36

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Jordan klein Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Oct 29, 2013 9:07 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

I've got the same thing going on.  I was wondering why it seemed as if it rebooted sometime after going to sleep.  I found the sleep/wake failure logs on mine too.  I think it's time we file bug reports with Apple, as I suspect that this is a defect.

• StoneSoup Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Oct 29, 2013 11:36 PM (in response to KumoLumo)

I've got the same problem with my Macbook Air (mid-2012) upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.  I'm speculating that it has something to do with changing the power state (e.g. unplugging the charger) while the lid is closed.  I don't want to mess with pmset, although some related problem reports suggest that a workaround might be to disable Hibernate mode.

I've been seeing a *LOT* of problems in Console for Fantastical and vpnagent.  They're probably unrelated but I'm going to uninstall them to see whether that helps at all.  If not, I'm just going to revert to Mountain Lion until this annoying problem is fixed.

• whiznet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 31, 2013 6:50 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

Exactly same problem here.  Macbook pro retina 2012 crashes at least twice daily.  Mostly after closing lid to make it sleep and lifting lid to wake it. 

I have been on the previous OS for a year and had no freezes (yes NO freezes).  Can someone please provide any info to fix this or some good news that Apple will be providing a patch?

• Somberland Calculating status...
    Oct 31, 2013 1:09 PM (in response to KumoLumo)

Some problem with my new MacBook Pro Retina (late 2013).

Charger is plugged in (green light), I'm closing the lid and after around 1-2 hours the Sleep Wake Failure occurs.

• ibrennan Calculating status...
    Oct 31, 2013 3:48 PM (in response to StoneSoup)

Are you using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client?

I have these same exact issues on my brand new rMBP as well, both times it has happend do far I have had AnyConnect running and connected while shutting the lid on my MBP.  I also had it connected to a Thunderbolt display at the same time.

After searching it seems like there are issues with Cisco AnyConnect on Mavericks AND also a separate issue with external devices causing the sleep/wake problem.  My initial thoughts are that it's certainly related to one/both of these issues after reviewing the console logs.

• StoneSoup Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Oct 31, 2013 5:50 PM (in response to ibrennan)

Yes, but I uninstalled it , rebooted my Air, and the problem still recurred this morning.  I had my Air charging overnight.  I unplugged it with the lid closed.  When I opened it, another sleep/wake failure occurred.

• jb510 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 31, 2013 8:42 PM (in response to KumoLumo)

Late-2013 15" rMBP (1 week old) and having a similar/same problem.

It will wake from sleep normally if it's just a few minutes, but left for hours I always come back to find it crashed (off).

Running FileVault2 (internal SSD only) and have an externall hard drive (MyBook Studio II) connected to the USB hub in my monitor...  hmm...

Oct 31, 2013 9:16 PM (in response to KumoLumo)

FWIW my crash report seems truncated.  Just reads:

Date/Time:       2013-10-31 18:02:29 -1000

OS Version:      10.9 (Build 13A3017)

Architecture:    x86_64

Report Version:  18

Event:           Sleep Wake Failure

Steps:           0

Hardware model:  MacBookPro11,3

Active cpus:     8

================================================================

Code: 0x2a27006700                                                                                

...that's it...  no stack trace like normal.

• Somberland Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 1, 2013 2:19 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

For me it looks like the problem is my attached USB-Drive / Stick when I'm closing the lid. Yesterday I ejected every drive and closed the lid ofer night and this morning was everything fine.

• Güni Calculating status...
    Nov 1, 2013 11:27 AM (in response to Somberland)

That is exactly what I discovered!

I have the new rMBP since monday and it crashes from start on every 2 to 3 hours when in sleep mode.

The only thing that helped is to unplug my external hard drive from USB !!

Try this and your fine until they release an update for Mavericks.

Side note: The machine won't crash when in use. Even if the hard drive is attached.

• selsro Calculating status...
    Nov 4, 2013 2:55 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

I've got the same problem!

• osterman57 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 4, 2013 8:16 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

I'm having the exact same problem after upgrading from Mt. Lion to Mavericks on a late 2012 iMac.  The iMac has restarted on its own four times in the last 24 hours and one time it started up on its own while the computer was actually off, but plugged in.  Wierd!

• tlovejr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 4, 2013 11:41 AM (in response to KumoLumo)

I'm having the same problem on my new MBA 13.  When I come to the computer 1st thing in the AM, I am greeted by the "You restarted your computer because of a problem" dialog.  The same dialog I get after hard rebooting due to the other sleep/wake issues.

Nov 4, 2013 12:15 PM (in response to KumoLumo)

To anyone having this issue:  Crashing and rebooting after entering sleep (generally seems to be rMBP's and Mavericks)

Please confirm what mac your seeing this on.  The iMac report above sounds like an interily different problem in spite of claiming it being the "exact same issue"..  This isn't the computer spontanously restarting while being used, nor while powered off.  It is solely restarting while sleeping. 

It seems only late 2013 rMBPs, but I'm guessing it might be all powernap capable computers.

If you experincing this problem, take a momment to confirm which USB devices are triggering it. 

I've never seen this happen with no USB devices connected.  I'm pretty sure it's only with USB hard drives connected (both a WD MyBook Studio II and a Seagate Freeagent).  My USB wireless keyboard/mouse receiver doesn't seem to cause the problem but I want ot test that plugged directly into the mac, not my external monitor with usb hub, but I'm confirming the USB receiver doesn't trigger it now. 

1 2 3 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Related Articles

Bookmarked By (22)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.