Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio playback problems in Safari since Mavericks upgrade

I've been having intermittent audio problems in Safari ever since upgrading to Mavericks on my iMac.

Google Play Music doesn't make any sound at all in Safari. Works fine in Firefox.

Downloading audio clips/mp3 playback in Safari has intermittent clicks/pops & sounds terrible.

Tried installing latest version of Flash player...no help.

Everything used to be fine before upgrading to Mavericks.

What gives?

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:48 AM

55 replies

Oct 30, 2013 12:34 PM in response to JohnnyLV

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab.

Click Delete All under Browsing Data and Settings

Not empty the Safari cache.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now click Develop from the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Empty Caches.

Now try a video.

Oct 30, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you! Unfortunately, trying the solution above made no difference whatsoever.

Youtube videos are okay, but if I listen to an mp3 from this site "http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm" in Safari, the sound has pops/clicks and doesn't play back properly. If I listen to the exact same clip in Firefox, it plays perfectly.

Google Play Music still has NO sound in Safari and plays fine in Firefox.

Oct 30, 2013 6:09 PM in response to michel2808

I did the following and got it working again....unfortunately, I'm not sure which action specifically fixed the problem, because I did a few at the same time.

From Google Support:

"Alternatively, you may enable HTML 5 audio without the need for flash by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right corner and selecting 'Music Labs'. From here, you may click the radial 'Enabled' button to the right of the HTML 5 description.(Note: You must be using Chrome, Safari 3.1+ or IE 9+)

Clearing your browser's history and cache has been reported as solving this issue."

Works fine now.

Note: Although Google Play Music is working now, MP3 audio playback directly through the Safari browser still sounds clicky/poppy. This issue doesn't happen when using Firefox.

Oct 31, 2013 12:41 AM in response to JohnnyLV

Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm having the same issues - however your remedy does not work for me. Contacted Google they do not know what is wrong.

Strange it was working before then suddenly stopped working - I've tried everything so far to no avail. Might try reformatting the system and installing a fresh copy of Mavericks.

For note - my computer is 2013 13.3inch Macbook Pro Retina, 8gb edition - no customisations.

Thanks,

N

Oct 31, 2013 8:24 PM in response to JohnnyLV

I have been having the same issues, but I originally thought it was a glitch on Google's side, now I know better. So far, Google Play Music is the only time I've had lots of trouble. It says it's playing but never starts actually playing. I haven't had any time that I've needed to stream from anywhere else, but I assume it wouldn't work there either. I've read it has something to do with how Safari handles HTML5 audio (neither flash nor HTML5 playback work for me), something about it requiring a filename src or something of that sort. I don't want to download chrome because it overheats my mac and makes the battery drain like crazy when there's anything with flash on the page. Plus I JUST finished migrating out of the google ecosystem. Finally. Don't want to go back so soon.

Audio playback problems in Safari since Mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.