Well, I upgrade all clients, dumped container.plist, and now Bonjour does not scan our network. Can't find any clients. I had search by IP address. It found ALMOST all of them. NOW, I can not copy to the client computers. It only let me do a 1 or 2 computers.
I can observe and control, but unable to copy.
Whew! will still try other things. Anyone else with suggestions.
Question- when you 'clear out' the client computers, what exactly are you doing?
Viewing them in All Computers and deleting them.
I found that computers that I have touched before pop up with the dot beside them. These I then deleted.
Took the best part of a day to get them all but I've only 60 clients.
Only when I'd deleted them ALL did I then add them all back.
I can copy, install, run unix commands. Screen share on dual screens etc.
I should note that I did a clean install from ARD 3.3 install DVD and then applied the updates right up to 3.7.1.
I didn't delete any of my preferences or edit plist etc.
I couldn't work out how to uninstall ARD Client 3.7 from my Mac so I just left it and let Software Update do it's thing.
Allow me to repeat myselft:
ARD 3.7.1 appears to be WORKING !!!
I had to delete and recapture all users after updating ARD Admin to 3.7.1 but it has been behaving for the past 48 hours.
On our network, it is working with ARD Clients 3.4, 3.5.4 and 3.7.1 on Mac OS 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.7.5, and 10.8.5
There was deleting of any preferences or support files.
So something just occurred to me regarding at least the "jumping" computers. I know on my networks there are many computers that are plugged in via ethernet at the office and wifi elsewhere. As a result, they have 2 IPs because they never turn off their wifi when they plug in. Perhaps this is the cause of them bouncing around in ARD? I'm seeing several copies of some users in the list for sure, although can't recreate the jumping--I just see one that's blue with a dot (controllable) and the other that's black (not controllable).
WELL, I must be doing something wrong. I've deleted, added, deleted, added. I can control the computers with no problem. After I delete the list, I use the 'scanner' to scan my network and no IP addresses show up. The only computer that shows up on the list is my computer.
AFTER I add each computer by IP search using 'scanner', all computers DO appear. BUT.... I still can't copy anything to my client computers. Now, if I open and control a computer, then drag the file over, it will copy with no problem, but using the copy command does not work.
Last week I installed 3.7.1 on all our clients (+100 machines, some of them on 10.7.5 and the rest on 10.8.5).
On the admin machine I deleted the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop folder and recreated all groups I had before.
Everything looked great. But now the weekend has passed and most machines were given a new IP address by our DHCP server.
Result: Everything is messed up again. All the groups contain different computers that were not part of the group or computers are deleted from groups. Some computers that are online appear to be offline in ARD.
It's still a mess.
My admin machine has 3 network connections (Wifi + 2 ethernet). That was never a problem in ARD 3.6.x.
All clients have only 1 netwerk connection (ethernet).
OK. So the new update was working and now is having the same problems.
I tried this:
Deleted the remote desktop folder in
had to set up all my machines again and enter a new password for RD on launch but it has been rock solid since
but then ARD doesn't save anything after it quits. I need to rebuild a list each time. Any ideas?
Well, since doing all of the above, ARD was working really good for the past two weeks except for Bonjour scanning of the network. It use to scan and pick up all of my iMacs in my lab, but that has never worked since the updates.
My problems have started up again where half of my computers have dropped off the lists, and now when I use Bonjour to scan a "specific" IP address, it pops up another computer with a completely different IP address. For example in my 'lists'-- it shows a computer 3 is offline, but I can double click to take control.... but it returns computer 16 with a completely different IP address.
I had the exact same issues detailed here. Across 2 sites with over 100 users. A mixture of 10.6/10.7/10.8 clients and using ARD 3.5.3-3.71
The way i managed to solve the issues after upgrading my admin client to 3.7 were as follows.
Trashed ARD and all associated files
Re-installed ARD 3.5 and updated to 3.5.1. I then applied the 3.7.1 update, skipping 3.7 and all seems well.
DCHP leases are all set for 48 hours and my machine lists are intact upon restarting ARD