Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you unselect the SILENCE feature "Only while iPhone is locked" in Do Not Disturb?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to turn off both the "Always" and "Only while iPhone is locked" features under the SILENCE section of Do Not Disturb? I don't want my calls and notifications to be silenced ever, especially when the iPhone is locked. It seems like you have to check either one or the other and can't turn them both off. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 2:26 PM

Read this whole thread. There is most definitely a bug. I had the same exact problem. Turned Bluetooth off, and even though it wasn't connected to anything in the first place, my phone started ringing again when locked...

59 replies

Feb 16, 2017 11:58 AM in response to andrtnnr

Hi,

I have a Pebble Steel and I am having the same problem that you described with your Apple Watch. When I have my phone on vibrate and in the lock screen, I will get a vibrate notification on my Pebble Steel watch but, on my iPhone 6, the screen does not light up with the notification nor does it vibrate. If you press the "home" key, the notification is there but you would not notice it since the vibrate did not work on the phone, only on the Pebble. I have checked that my Pebble is not in silent mode (i.e. will vibrate) and the notifications work fine on the phone when not in lock screen. Even taking the iPhone off of vibrate only does not solve the issue on the lock screen. Any ideas on what to try? THis seems to be a new issue. I have had the Pebble with the iphone for a while and don't recall this problem

Tim

Nov 1, 2017 7:26 AM in response to andyfromseattle

This problem just surfaced for me on my 5S after upgrading to 11.03. I have been using the Do Not Disturb schedule feature prior to the upgrade with no issues. But, I inadvertently selected the Silence While Phone is Locked recently while exploring Do Not Disturb While Driving. Now, it appears the phone is always silent for text messages when the phone is locked. The only thing turned on in Do Not Disturb is the Scheduled Do Not Disturb. Now, when I unlock the phone, I’ll routinely see a notification that I have multiple unviewed text messages. I’ve also received a notification that I have a voice mail with no indication that I have a missed phone call.

Nov 1, 2017 7:44 AM in response to 183eej

I have Do Not Disturb set on a schedule for my iPhone, and have had it that way since Do Not Disturb came out. It is set from 2300 hours to 0700 hours. The Silence is set to Always. I've updated to iOS 11.1, and have updated everything in between. I've not experienced the issues you describe.

As my answer was in the beginning of this thread back in 2013, unless Do Not Disturb is on, evidenced by the crescent moon icon in the Status Bar, then those Silence settings mean nothing.

Nov 1, 2017 7:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I read where you said that and it made sense. However, I’m not finding that to be the case at present. I just turned off the Scheduled Do Not Disturb feature, restarted the phone and had a friend text me and that appears to have fixed the issue. I’m going to turn Scheduled Do Not Disturb back on in a bit and see if the problem repeats itself.

Dec 15, 2017 12:54 PM in response to Geno11

RESOLVED - I have been having this issue too for several years now. For no specific reasons, I would regularly observe that there was no more text message sound notification (silent switch and Do not Disturb functions were not activated). I would clear the bug by simply rebooting my phone (switch OFF-ON). Today, I tried again to determine the cause of this erractic behavior and I manage to replicate the bug. I can confirm that it is related to the bluetooth. I have a Denon sound system that I have equipped with a Bose bluetooth adapter (optical connection). Earlier this week, I connected to my sound system to listen to Sirius music from an App on my iphone 6. Since then, there was no more text message sound notification. Even if my sound system is turned off and the Sirius App is closed, the phone remained connected to the Bose Bluetooth adaptor. I switched OFF-ON the iphone bluetooth and voila! The Bose bluetooth adaptor was longer connected to the phone and the sound notification of text message went back to normal. I tested one more time to confirm and validated that the same bug occured (no sound), disconnected the bose adaptor from my iphone bluetooth and the notification sound was back.

Dec 15, 2017 1:03 PM in response to ca085251

It is not a bug. If there is a Bluetooth device connected all notifications go to the Bluetooth device. As your Bluetooth adapter was still on all sounds went to it. Your phone has no way of knowing that your sound system is off, all it knows is that your Bluetooth adapter is on.

This is a great example of how the new feature that allows you to disconnect from a Bluetooth device but still leave Bluetooth on would solve your problem. Open the iOS 11 Control Center and tap the Bluetooth button to disconnect the current device only.

Dec 15, 2017 5:17 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

It is a bluetooth problem, no doubt about that. When I turn bluetooth off, notifications sounds and lights show up on my iphone. When I have bluetooth ON, the messages do not go to my phone AND also do not go to my watch or earbuds on a consistent basis.

I can do a reboot and for a while I get messages on the watch and sometimes also on the iPhone. The fact that this is inconsistent says it is a bug.

Dec 24, 2017 11:03 AM in response to brucemc777

I think it depends on the phone. I have a 5s and turning off Bluetooth had no effect that I could discern. Like another comment, for me it’s inconsistent. The 5s is not WiFi calling capable and where I’m located, I have a weak cell signal but strong WiFi. I’m wondering if this issue disappears for me if I upgrade to a WiFi calling capable phone.

Jan 18, 2018 7:28 AM in response to ca085251

Fixed it for me too. i noticed that Bluetooth had about 10 connection possibilities, though all were reporting “no connection” at the time of error. To narrow the problem, I deleted about 7 Bluetooth con figs which I New I rarely ever use, and left the 3 popular one. Behold, all now works. This points to a bug, as deleting Bluetooth configuration that state “no connection” should not be affecting a “disabled“ Do Not Disturb option. Incidentally, Apple should do every a favor and “hide” the menu options like “schedule”and “silence” when DND is disabled. Real P.I.T.A.

Mar 11, 2018 6:04 AM in response to andyfromseattle

I have same question— but this isn’t true. My DND is NOT turned on but it is still silent which causes my calendar alerts NOT to turn on and it’s an issue. How does one UNSELECT this default? This is problematic.

How do you unselect the SILENCE feature "Only while iPhone is locked" in Do Not Disturb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.