Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 5 with IOS 7.0.3 3G connection lost!

Recently I had a very serious issue regard 3G connection lost on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.3.

I'm having this issues for about a week plus, now whenever I'm going into no service area basement for example and come back up after few minutes my phone will be showing my telco provider name DIGI for example but there will be no have any 3G connection.

No matter what I do, TURN ON airplane mode then TURN OFF, OR TURN OFF mobile data then TURN ON or even disabled 3G and Enabled back. It will still no 3G connection. Until I will need to restart or reboot my device then only manage to get back my 3G connection again.

This surely is not my device problem, it will not happen if I didn't went into no service area.
I had fresh restore and reset my network setting as well but still not help.

Anyone experience this? What you have did to solve this issue?

Thanks for help in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 8:17 PM

21 replies

Nov 6, 2013 8:42 AM in response to Jasonlkk

To Jasonlkk,

This is indeed an unusual situation. The number of bars indicate signal strength, and the presence of LTE or 4G or 3G or E or even a small circle (GPRS) indicates the stable packet speed.

I myself have seen what you have described: in very bad reception areas, such as in lower level of department stores or basement, the bars would turn to "searching....." or "No Service". At this point there is no voice and data service. But when I relocate to a better reception place, the bars would return, the data indicator (LTE/4G/3G/E/GPRS) would be delayed in appearing, but not by too long......1 or 2 minutes maximum delay.

Have you let it sit idle for longer than, let's say 2 minutes? If we start to toggle airplane mode and disable/enable 3G before the phone has had sufficient time to establish the data speed quality of the current location, that could interfere with the presence of the data speed symbol.

On UMTS systems, the voice is handled by the MSC and the data by the SGSN. Under normal circumstances, when the cell phone can conduct a voice call, the MSC knows where the mobile is, and so should the SGSN.

It seems that your cell phone is having problems re-attaching to the SGSN side after a loss of established radio bearer, and needs to go through a fresh location update in order to attach again.

Please test this scenario out in other locations (same loss of reception and return to reception). If you can duplicate it in other areas, then you should open a trouble ticket with your carrier because may be a real problem with the SGSN side.

This re-attach to SGSN is a basic functionality of any GSM/UMTS phone, and I don't believe iOS7.0.3 made any changes to this portion. The release notes doesn't mention having made changes to functionality in this area. So yes, contact your carrier and open a ticket. They may not do anything for 1 user's report, but they will if more people call in, or if you complain enough about it.

Another test is to use another GSM/UMTS phone, put in your same SIM (with SIM adapter if needed), and see if the same problem can be duplicated.

Nov 6, 2013 10:42 PM in response to Jasonlkk

In deed, it is very weird when i use with my iPhone 4s I didn't experience this issue. It only happen when I use to IPhone 5 wit IOS 7.

No matter where i go, as long as I went to basement or lower ground and regain my reception when I came out.

No matter how long I wait or i move to another area, the mobile data just don't show and doesn't work but I can get full bar reception and I can call and receipt call clearly.

If I restart my phone, then immediate I get back mobile data and reception and I tried on my IPhone 4s, Nokia and samsung phone this problem doesn't occur.

Thanks a lot for your help and explaination 🙂

Nov 14, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Ethanloh

Hello,

I am also a fellow digi user using iphone 5.

I have been having the 3g missing issue for quite awhile. It can be solved by changing the network selection to manual. By doing so, the network signal will not be lost. However, instead of the 3g being lost, now i will occasionally get the network connection lost notification, which i will have to restart my phone to get the network functional again.

Any input on how to fix this? To restart the phone every other day is so annoying.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Jasonlkk

I know this is a old post, but here we are experiencing this, I had this problem a month ago and since then we have this issue a lot with iPhone 4S on 7.0.4

We have an excellent link with the carrier 5 dots, but 3G disappear. We must restart the phones to have it again, it's very annoying since they are work smartphones, when 3G drop this mean email aren't received.

A user here reported SMS wasn't working either when this issue happened on his phone.

Apple must fix this please.

IPhone 5 with IOS 7.0.3 3G connection lost!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.