Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri for iPad activating itself when headphones plugged in...

Whenever my headphones are plugged in, Siri activates itself and tells me to ask a question...

I haven't asked for it, and it often happens when I'm in the middle of watching or listening to something. It's incredibly annoying!

I used to have a problem with my music starting randomly as well, but since the update to iOS7, this has not happened.

I try not to leave the headphones in when I'm not listening to anything, but I need a solution.

Help would be much appreciated :)

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 6:42 AM

Very familiar problem.
After updating to Sierra, iTunes and Siri keep prompting when I have my headphones plugged in.
I would really like an answer, because it really keeps me from doing any work with music on, or while editing film.

Thanks for the help.

TJ

27 replies

Jul 9, 2017 3:55 PM in response to Deep4556

This is seriously so annoying.. I've had this problem with 2 different iPhone earbuds. It had the usual symptoms others described earlier: pausing music/video's, fast forwarding music, activating Siri on its own and activating voice control once Siri was turned off.. Now the first time this happened, I thought my earbuds were broken so I bought new ones. These are the ones I currently have and they worked fine for about half a year, and now they have the same annoying issue.. It's really annoying because I can't figure out what is triggering it, it definately has something to do with the little thing you can pause with and activate Siri. The most annoying part is that it happens so randomly, sometimes it doesn't happen for minutes and other times it happens 3 times in 10 seconds. (While I was writing this, voice control was actived 4 times by itself) It seems like this has been playing for a while now and I'm really dissappointed Apple has never done anything about it.. And it certainly is not a problem with my phone because I use another pair of earbuds, not from Apple, while I work out (you can strap them around your ear) and the problem doesn't happen with these..

Sep 4, 2017 9:33 AM in response to iEatAppleCrumble

Ok, I am addressing all issues relating to your earphones having weird problems. If you are not using original Apple EarPods, the issue is your headphones, many pairs of third party earphones i used have this is issue, i can confirm this issue is caused by Apple. Any other earphones that has 3 stripes on the 3.5mm audio jack, (2 lines are for stereo audio, the third line is for mic or remote's buttons). the buttons(volume, play/pause) will not work if they are not Apple Earpods or earphones that are sold to be used with Apple products. (Samsung's earphones and some earphones I used have non-functioning remotes when connect with iOS but works with my Samsung phone)

Second issue is the multiple volume issue, the system will automatically saves different volumes for different audio output category. Device's speaker, headphones, earphones, wireless ones, Airplay and more.

Third issue is starts playing by itself thing, it happens to 2 pairs of my earphones. If you are using a pair of third party headphones with in built remote or mic functions, this might happen. I think it's cause by the dac or whatever driver headphones uses to sort out the remotes signal. The self playing error occurs becasue your headphones cannot communicate the play pause signals with your device properly. (Siri is activated by long pressing the pause button) Again, it's likely to be cause by incompatible earphones. Pressing or bending the cable hardly can also cause abnormal self play pause to occur.

My results comes from using about 10 different headphones and earphones with my iPad and iPhone.

Sep 4, 2017 7:28 PM in response to iEatAppleCrumble

This issue began for me last week with Apple headphones which worked fine until then. This negates all theories with non-apple headphones (which made no sense in the first place!)

The reason for this issue is debris in the socket most likely lint from your pocket which gets lodged at the back of the socket, causing the issues described.

I removed the lint from deep within the socket (lint could not be seen with naked eye) using a cotton swab wetted with isopropyl alcohol and thinned out to fit the hole. I inserted my tool deep and twisted as I pulled it out to snag the lodged lint and VOILA, issues resolved. No more random Siri, no more random song plays etc. 100% Normal Function Restored! I added a photo of the culprit for reference.

Dec 18, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Da Gopha

I did try the reset (a few times!), and it worked for a time, but not now. I still don't know what causes it... Sometimes Siri pops up if I move the headphones where they are plugged in, so I try not to fiddle with then! But often it just comes up anyway...

I only put them in when I have to now, but they still stop my music or videos if I'm watching anything!

Have you had any issues with your music starting up randomly? Because that also happens when my headphones are plugged in.

Dec 19, 2013 12:27 PM in response to iEatAppleCrumble

Hi there,

No I haven't had any issues with music starting up by itself, the only issue that I have is Siri starting up at the moment I plug the headphones in...?

Curiously, I find that when I open up the Control Center window and plug various headphones in, the volume level changes differently depending on which headphones I plug in. For headphones that don't have the Siri issues, the volume control increases when I plug the headphones in to the level that I use my headphones at (assuming that the volume for speaker use is lower than that of headphone use). For the two headphones that I have which do have the Siri issue, at the moment of connection, the volume increases as above, but then decreases very slightly.

Thinking about the two headphones that have this issue, I know that they are somewhat more powerful or demanding. One is quite a hefty unit, and the other is a Bluetooth transmitter. I'm wondering if the iPad, at the point of connection, is figuring out what the headphones are like and is adjusting the volume accordingly. And in doing so, with these two particular units that process is triggering Siri through some sort of short circuit. When Siri does get triggered through these peculiarities, the inboard iPad microphone is disabled, so I guess it thinks a set of headphones with inline remote is connected.

All in all very odd, but it happens intermittently so I'm not sure how bothered I should really be...?

Dec 26, 2013 12:04 PM in response to iEatAppleCrumble

To answer an update on your query... Curiously, today when I unplugged the headphones that cause this issue, the iPad started playing some music. Doesn't happen consistently or with other earphones that I was also using, but am wondering if it's making that contact which simulates a middle button press on an in line mic. Perhaps we're both experiencing a unique combination of strange headphones which combine with the way the iPad works to produce these oddities. I've used a number of different headphones with the iPad, and out of my repertoire of 7, only two sets produce these oddities.

Guess will just put up with it!

Dec 26, 2013 12:24 PM in response to iEatAppleCrumble

There's also a few other interesting posts from folks who have experienced oddities with particular sets of headphones and how they use them:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2095550?answerId=9893961022#9893961022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1793590

I had a close look at the headphone socket of the iPads, and it's interesting that the design has changed from, say my iPod Nano. The little metal contacts inside the socket are now closer together, and I think that with certain headphones, the act of connecting or disconnecting bridges the contacts and simulates the mic button press.

Cheers, Gopha

Siri for iPad activating itself when headphones plugged in...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.