Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air Freezing

I have a new iPad Air which I got on the 1st. In the past two days it has frozen and required a hard reboot. Anyone else having a similiar experience?

iPad, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 12:56 PM

What do you mean by frozen? Screen still visible?

You said you rebooted but did you do a reset like this? Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

Do you have plenty of free space on your iPad? With iOS 7 it is recommended that you have 15-20% of the storage space on the device free. For a 16 GB device that is 2.4-3.2 GB free. For a 32 GB device that is 4.8-6.4 GB free. For a 64 GB device that is 9.6-12.8 GB free. If you need moment free space delete some stuff.

Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

115 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Bill Erickson

What do you mean by frozen? Screen still visible?

You said you rebooted but did you do a reset like this? Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

Do you have plenty of free space on your iPad? With iOS 7 it is recommended that you have 15-20% of the storage space on the device free. For a 16 GB device that is 2.4-3.2 GB free. For a 32 GB device that is 4.8-6.4 GB free. For a 64 GB device that is 9.6-12.8 GB free. If you need moment free space delete some stuff.

Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Nov 6, 2013 3:02 PM in response to Bill Erickson

I just had the same thing happen with my new 128 GB iPad Air. Screen and buttons stopped responding to all input, although, curiously the app I was using (Tweetbot) continued to refresh with new posts. It kept going for a couple of minutes, then suddenly rebooted itself. This never happened with my previous 2 iPad models. I have 80 GB of free space. I hope it doesn't become a chronic issue.

Nov 13, 2013 11:50 PM in response to Bill Erickson

Well I too am having issues with my new iPad Air 128gb Wifi (75% space still available).

Only upgraded because my old faithful iPad 2 was developing an issue with the Home button. Well I've had multiple freezing and done the hard reboot about 5 times in the last few days. It seems to be ok for a little while then it starts to hang up again. Last night I was so frustrated - after 2 hard reboots I went back to using my iPad 2 to watch some IView shows. My iPad2 is over 2 years old and very well used, but still seems far more reliable that this new far more expensive iPad Air.

Phoned Apple today and they advised me to backup and then do a factory reset, which I did and am just restoring from the back up now. Tonight I will try and use it again, but I'm thinking there must be a common fault here for several of these posts to be here. I think there are probably be many more users who are having the issue but not posting ....... yet!!

Not really good enough for a gadget that I spent almost $1000 for.

Nov 15, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Ralph9430

Ralph9430,

The screen interface stops working even though the screen is visible and updates are happening. In many cases the device freezes while in lock mode and it cannot be opened. This apperas to be happening much more often. I've had the device for a week and this just started yesterday once or twice, but now it is happening almost every hour or so. VERY frustrating!

I'm still on 7.0.3 with a 64 GB iPad Air and 18 GB of free storage. I have an iPad 3rd gen with same configuration and never had this problem.

Nov 16, 2013 8:14 PM in response to Gwen_S

We'll I did the back-up and factory reset - restore from back-up on Thursday night. I've used the Air a fair bit over the weekend WITH NO MORE HANG UPS /FREEZING. :-). So I'm hoping the issue was resolved by the process - I do have exactly the same content. I'll not rejoice totally yet though.........

I do have an Apple case for the Air by the way so no conflicts there. Though I have a couple of issues with that too - primarily being a gap at the joint side when closed and the trifold is not as secure as the quad fold on my old iPad 2 cover.

Yesterday I found a Cygnet Origami inspired case which works a lot better as a stand and has a better angle - for me anyway. May not be for everyone especially those who like the minimal look.

Anyway thought I would post an this tentatively positive feedback.

iPad Air Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.