Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 with ios7.0.4 power button problem

I am using an iphone5 upgraded the IOS to 7.0.4 and now it seems that my power button no longer works..

Is it an software problem? Till before the update it seems to still be working

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 8:43 AM

98 replies

Nov 17, 2013 1:35 PM in response to Kelferlee

Hi Kelferlee,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If the sleep/wake button on the top of your iPhone isn't responding in iOS 7, try to reset the phone first:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

To reset, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If you can reset the phone using this method, this would show that the button itself (hardware) is fine and you are seeing a software issue.

In either case, the next troubleshooting step is to back up and restore the phone:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Best,

Jeremy

Nov 18, 2013 11:59 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy,

I noticed this problem on my iphone 5 after upgrading to ios 7.0.4. The power button does not respond most of the time and it takes me 5 to 6 presses to lock my phone. It was working perfectly until I updated the ios.

Restoring the phone does not help. I repeat, restoring does not help. This seems to be an issue with the ios 7.0.4 update.

It will be great if someone looks into it and more users with the same problem report it here.

Cheers

Nov 19, 2013 11:31 AM in response to Kelferlee

I have been dealing with this since the upgrade. Tried resetting my phone. It helped until I started changing my settings. Then it started failing again. Tried turning all of my settings on then off again. Got nowhere doing that. Now it's to the point that it just does not work. VERY ANNOYING! At my wits end. This is not a hardware problem. I will not spend more of my money buying a new phone. They need to fix this.

Nov 19, 2013 2:40 PM in response to Kelferlee

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 5 since the iOS 7.0.4 update. While I'm not happy with the problem, at least it appears to be an issue others are having instead of being a hardware problem specific to my phone. Let's hope Apple recognizes the problem and releases a software update to fix the problem sooner than later.

Nov 20, 2013 3:22 PM in response to jeremy_v

Clarification Post (follow up): I'm having "similar" problems with the power button (at the top of the iPhone 5). More specifically, the button is now not as responsive or is finicky since the iOS update.

Have learned by trial and error:

- Alternate method of waking up iPhone: press front button instead.

- Putting to sleep: single firm press and release of upper button works most of the time.

Have tried resetting and restarting with no success. Anyone have any luck with this issue with restoring?

One thing for sure, the power button is a lot more finicky than it used to be before the iOS 7.0.4 update.

Nov 25, 2013 8:43 PM in response to Kelferlee

This is not an issue with the software update guys. This is a defect on iPhone 5 power button that wears out in about 13-14 months of usage just after you go out of warranty. Apple is aware of this issue but chooses not to accept this as a defect. I asked the Genius bar guy and they told me this is a common case recently and costs $269 to replace your phone. There is no repair option. I am very mad and believe Apple needs to take action or will lose their customers. All iPhone 5 owners that I know started having this problem in the month of 13 -14.

I believe if the numbers go high, Apple may start a recall program. Please encourage anyone with this problem to post here. $700 phone should not wear out this soon. Apparently the part is defective on almost all iPhone 5 devices.

Iphone5 with ios7.0.4 power button problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.