Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Visual voicemail is currently unavailable….

Why does visual voice keep saying "visual voicemail is currently unavailable". It happens when I am home or out doors. Restarting the phone help for a while then it happens again. Frustrating ! Can anyone help?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 6:18 PM

I have the problem of visual voicemail "currently unavailable," but my cellular data is ON. I am at home using wifi, and previously I was in another location using wifi when visual voicemail became unavailable. What's up with it, anybody know?

38 replies

Jan 8, 2014 8:51 PM in response to JENNINGS 255

Well I think I truly figured out the mystery. I preformed all of the above actions - all! The only way to correct the error (even after a network settings reset-ugh) was to leave the Cellular Data setting turned ON and reset the VM password.Voil'a. And yes, I had already removed all current and previously exiting voice messages beforehand. That will remove the error message, but as soon as you turn cellular data OFF you loose visual contact with your voice messages. I'm sure they know that fact, they just don't want to actually tell you that they're trying as hard as possible to get you to use as much billable data as possible. I'm sure that type of double secret data can only be transferred to you by the carrier network and not wifi.

Nov 19, 2013 3:54 AM in response to wjosten

Thanks wjosten but its not a range issue. It never used to happen and now its nearly all the time. I don't really want to reset everything as thats a pain for using tyhe wifi at the various clients I go to. As I said, if I turn the phone off and then back on it often sorts it out for a while. I wans't sure if it was a bug or not that others had suffered from.

Dec 12, 2013 10:34 AM in response to janethia

I have the problem of visual voicemail "currently unavailable," but my cellular data is ON. I am at home using wifi, and previously I was in another location using wifi when visual voicemail became unavailable. What's up with it, anybody know?

The exact same thing happened to me. After I turned cellular data back on and restarted my iPhone the voicemail worked properly -- at least for now.

Dec 27, 2013 2:28 PM in response to JENNINGS 255

I too have been experiencing this issue. It began after I downloaded the newest IOS 7.0.4 (after it's release, i waited a month to download. My experience has ALWAYS been that, after downloading most current IOS, I have problems with my phone.)

Not only has the visual voicemail been unavailable, I also have trouble connecting to wifi. My phone keeps dropping the connection. If I turn the phone off then back on, wifi is available for a short period of time, then it drops again. If i turn off Cellular Data, the wifi picks up and remains connected. However, when I turn Cellular Data back on, my visual voicemail remains unavailable until i reboot the phone.

Inconsistencies like this, with clumsy work-arounds, are a compelling reason to swithch to another make of phone..

Visual voicemail is currently unavailable….

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.