Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse not working properly

My magic mouse started acting jittery and locking up intermittently. I would have to restart to get it to work again. Changed batteries, same result. Finally bought new magic mouse which acts jittery also. Not as bad as first but not acceptable. Has not locked up yet (one day). Tried moving tracking to fast and removed all other peripherals from bluetooth. Have scoured the communities but cannot find any solution. Looking for any help.

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 7:23 PM

Try glossy junk mail or mail order catalogs.

34 replies

Nov 28, 2013 7:34 AM in response to seventy one

I looked at that a long time ago, but it is completely irrelevant in my case.

The contacts are clean, the batteries are fresh, the mouse does the same behavior no matter which computer. Clearly changing the surface it is on is the problem. Only shiny/glossy surfaces allow it to work correctly. If I slide the mouse gently from a piece of glossy paper to craft paper to ceases to track completely. Sliding it to a semi-glossy paper will get the intermittent tracking. The sensor area has been cleaned. I have tried shaking the little guy to dislodge any particles interferring with the sensor on the PCB. Nothing seems to work except the glossy paper.

Although my case might be a 1 in a million, with all the millions of these things they sell, theres probably a few folks out there with the same behavior as mine! :-)

Mar 4, 2014 2:40 AM in response to Russhel

Solved! Fixed! SUCCESS! Aloha, I was having the same problem. Magic Mouse was either sluggish or would become unresponsive at all(?) I used to occassionly turn the mouse off and back on again and that would fix the problem. But then today even that stopped working. In fact, even the green indicator light wasn't working(?!) That's what lead me here.

In my case I found out it wasn't the tracking at all. Another user (whom I was trying to reply to right now but can't find that thread for the life of me(?!) Mahalo to you if you happen across this thread. You Sir (or Madam) are the reason I'm paying it forward "here"! What that user said was...

The battery compartment is too small to make solid/strong connection. He/She suggested to fold up a piece of paper a few times, trim to size of batteries, place directly over batteries and snap the cover back on. Wallah! Success! Thanks again whom ever you were! 🙂 I hope this can help somebody else save $50.

Incidentally, my Magic Mouse works on most any surface at all(?!) Presently I am using the sheet on my bed. Not glossy at all, but it is a 400 thread count! 😉

Jun 17, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Russhel

I've had my magic mouse for about 4 years now, been using it on the same work surface the whole time with zero problems. Two days ago, the tracking went haywire - froze up or moved VERY slowly and jerkily, took me 5 minutes to move the cursor across the page. Clicks work, scrolling works, it's just the tracking that's failing. I've tried all the usual - cleaning the work surface, cleaning the mouse, blowing out the optical tracker, changing batteries, cleaning/checking battery terminal contacts. The only thing that worked was taking a piece of plastic I had nearby and using that as a working surface - tracking is back to 100%. So my question is - is my optical tracker failing? Do I need a new mouse, or is there another solution? Obviously, I can continue to use the plastic, but why the fail? If this is the beginning of the end, I'd like to know!

Aug 14, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Russhel

I have the same problem exactly. It's been working fine on my laminated desk surface for the first four years and then started getting more and more choppy. Works fine on a glossy piece of cardboard, though. The scrolling, etc. are unaffected.

I've tried, as someone has suggested, stuffind the paper in the battery compartment: it makes no difference.

I've even bought a 3m special pad for $8 on Amazon. The only thing that works is the glossy surface of the package the pad came in. Otherwise, the pad produces absolutely 0 tracking. Go figure!

I have an old MS USB mouse, and it works just fine, except that it's ugly as **** and takes one USB port. And therein lies my dilemma!

By the way, I've just replaced my four-year-old MBP with the most recent model. Made no difference either.

Nov 11, 2014 2:03 AM in response to ivammg

In my case my bluetooth Magic Mouse mouse was working properly until I installed Yosemite.

Yosemite caused the well known WIFi issue and alongside my mouse began failing to connect on random basis. I had to restart the mac in order to get it connected.

Just saw your post and tried turn WiFi off/on - and it worked. Great workaround!

Apparently there is a relation between the WiFi issue the mouse/bluetooth one - I hope Apple consider this in debugging both.

Nov 11, 2014 3:11 AM in response to ivammg

Ye gods. I've had a dodgy magic mouse for a while now. I use an iMac with an Ethernet cable, so didn't use WIFI - until something came up about locations services. Don't remember having a problem with the mouse before then, looking back.

I had the mouse open lying on its back with fresh new batteries (again!) and saw this post. Switched off the WIFI and lo, the green light started to flash. Replaced the panel, and the mouse seems fine again.

Really? The WIFI clashes with the bluetooth mouse link?

Thanks for posting!

Dec 21, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Russhel

Is this for any specific application? Two weeks ago I can't right click on my Chrome browser but on all other programs or applications it was ok. So, I quit the application from the menu bar on the bottom. (Go to the menu bar on the bottom and right click (Try on the menu bar apps if its working) on application and "quit" the application. Then restart the app. It will work.) If any of the app giving you a hard time, please quit it and re open it.

Magic Mouse not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.