Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I move a row in a table.

The instructions from teh Pages manual (below) doesn't work. i.e. I can't get the rows to "appear to lift off the table" to move them.

Move rows and columns within a table

Select one or more rows or columns, then do either of the following:

• Move rows: Click and hold the blue bar for the rows so they appear to lift off the table, then drag above or below another row.

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 8:41 PM

48 replies

Nov 28, 2013 9:07 PM in response to ufess

Apple has left a bit out of their instructions

Hold down the command key and drag up from the left most or top most blue tab label eg "F" or "4".

or

click once on the blue tab and wait a bit then click again and then drag.

Experiment when you hit a problem and try anything that vaguely might work. That's how I just discovered this.

You will notice the selection appearance changes with each click.

Peter

Nov 29, 2013 3:22 AM in response to ufess

Sorry you are having problems with this! Frustrating! But you have two 'clicks' going on here, right? The first click by itself and then the second click is held down? (Apologies if that is a lame question, just wanting to confirm.)

Also, does restarting Pages or you Mac have any affect?

I had the same problem for a bit, with the second click not lifting the row off the table, but now it it is working fine.

ufess wrote:

I can click to select a row, but when I click and hold, the row doesn't "lift off the table". Dragging then just widens the selct to another row.

Nov 29, 2013 5:14 AM in response to Peter Thomson

Hi Peter,

I played around a bit and found that moving rows works as per the online help only if the table fits within one page.

If you have a table that extends onto more than another page (like mine), they you can't move rows (by selecting a row, clicking again to hold, and then dragging to move)

Seems like a limitation/bug that I hope Apple can somehow put on their things to do list

Thanks again

Nov 29, 2013 6:30 PM in response to ufess

By the way, I tested the "move row" function in Numbers using a long table. It works fine in Numbers (which by its nature, doesn't have a "page" structure).

Maybe one work around is to create/edit long tables in Numbers, and then link/embed this table into the appropriate place in your Pages document.

I am a new Mac user, so I'm not yet sure if iWork has the ability to do the above.

Cheers

how do I move a row in a table.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.